testtest

The Irony

So many things went wrong on this that you can bet there will be charges if not multiple charges brought by prosecutors. The death of one person is to many and to have it happen so many times is reprehensible. Yes accidents happen but I’ve read everything written on this thread and also been following different media outlets and everything I’ve read says MULTIPLE people raised red flags on what was happening during the filming of this movie. The name of this thread should be changed to
“THE PATHETIC”
FUBAR.
I can assure you there will be no criminal charges brought by this tragedy. You are dealing with Hollywood Elite and they play by different rules then us common folk. There is a good probability there will be a civil suit but criminal, if any exists, will be swept up nicely, tied in a bow, and buried with the deceased film maker

Music Mogul Phil Spector rots in prison. He murdered a woman, and after two trials, got 19 to life in 2009 (I think?)
Justice is attenuated for these Hollyweirdos but sometimes they get their comeuppance.
If Baldwin is guilty of negligent homicide or even murder, he should rot in jail or death row, I don't know New Mexico's law about that.

Why has there not been dedicated firearms used in filming?? As in any firearm used in filming/movies is NEVER used with live ammo?? If it is a movie firearm, that is all it can be used for and the chamber nor magazine/cylinder can ever see a live cartridge? That could not be a budget constraint. What the h***, a firearm used on the set is taken for target practice, hunting? What? Can you say "ignorant" and "stupid"? They just borrow the model they want from anyone who has one or will donate for the set?
Charges and accountability are in order. But it may be WindBreaker is correct; Hellywood types, as Politicos are above the law.

Music Mogul Phil Spector rots in prison. He murdered a woman, and after two trials, got 19 to life in 2009 (I think?)
Justice is attenuated for these Hollyweirdos but sometimes they get their comeuppance.
If Baldwin is guilty of negligent homicide or even murder, he should rot in jail or death row, I don't know New Mexico's law about that.
Apples and oranges my friend, Phil Spector was dating her and shot her in his house not while they were shooting a movie that a gun is a needed prop,
Just for kicks and giggles, who's to blame? The assistant director for retrieving it from the table and handing to Baldwin and yelling cold gun? Baldwin for pulling the trigger? Armorer for not controlling the firearms and/or misloading them? The director for not putting something in place to address the already 3 misfire cases? Probably all of the above to a degree but it will be classified an "accident" and I agree. The only thing you can hope for is it will bring changes in the industry and it will may - for awhile - and then back to the lax rules until someone else dies.

I can assure you there will be no criminal charges brought by this tragedy. You are dealing with Hollywood Elite and they play by different rules then us common folk. There is a good probability there will be a civil suit but criminal, if any exists, will be swept up nicely, tied in a bow, and buried with the deceased film maker
I respect your opinion but you can’t say that your sure that won’t happen, in today’s climate you have no idea what’s going to be done. It’s a no brainer that there will be civil lawsuits because we live in a litigation for money society.

I respect your opinion but you can’t say that your sure that won’t happen, in today’s climate you have no idea what’s going to be done. It’s a no brainer that there will be civil lawsuits because we live in a litigation for money society.
I concede to your point but if I were a betting man (and I am) I'd give 100 to 1 odds against any criminal charges. The simplistic popular cultural summation of criminal guilt is means, motive, and opportunity. Means and opportunity were serendipitous because of the movie shoot and their was no motive. Unless something untoward were to come out of the investigation that has not yet been released to the public then I say accidental without malice nor intent. Tragic but not criminal. Sure every now and then a celebrity pays but more often than not you are looking at cases like OJ Simpson and Robert Blake. Yeah, OJ did get jailed later for a different crime but a burglary sentence versus 2 counts of first degree murder ain't even close. Hell, look at the recent case of Jesse Smollet, if it wasn't for the public outcry then the Chicago DOJ wouldn't have been forced to submit to an independent council investigation and that case would've just gone away. Anyone who thinks that celebrity and the wealthy are not treated differently are definately living in a bubble.

just came on the radio this morning, as i was doing my drive around errands, that some in Hollywood are calling for a ban on real guns on a set.

duh......

seems a bit late to close the barn door, as the horses already got out....

It's from yahoo so take it for what it's worth..
Agreed Wirenut.
Saw that too. Was also on other networks. Trying to be impartial. Thinking someone's reaching a bit by saying Baldwin was practicing. Practicing for what could be a simple question? Just holding onto gun putting it through the motions for what reason? Like someone commonly trying on a pair of shoes or clothing before buying or trying? Can be many reasons for practicing or trying most anything. It however, doesn't mean he was experienced or inexperienced with firearms or knew what he was doing or not. Likely just picking gun up for feel while using in a scene is all? In his position, how many other people would also do the same experienced or not? Sounds like filler.

just came on the radio this morning, as i was doing my drive around errands, that some in Hollywood are calling for a ban on real guns on a set.

duh......

seems a bit late to close the barn door, as the horses already got out....

Way to late. Although the filming of “Rust” has been quoted as being a
(low budget) production the technology is available to add
“computer generated” the bang of any gun after the fact. So many reported safety issues, so many walked away from production due to multiple problems. To many dropped the ball to ensure a safe working environment.
If this was to happen in any other manufacturing situation OSHA would be involved and changes filed and heads would roll.

Damn, makes me wonder if the Armor was even there on set?

This sentence is key.

"The person in charge of overseeing the gun props, known as the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, could not be reached for comment."

The person IN CHARGE OF OVERSEEING THE GUN PROPS.

Unless they were filming a gun scene without telling anyone/ her, she was supposed to be there and IS the person in charge. As you well know brother, Handling firearms is a zero sum game. Either you did it right or you did it wrong. No in between. As they say, " You had ONE job".

Last edited:
Agreed Wirenut.
Saw that too. Was also on other networks. Trying to be impartial. Thinking someone's reaching a bit by saying Baldwin was practicing. Practicing for what could be a simple question? Just holding onto gun putting it through the motions for what reason? Like someone commonly trying on a pair of shoes or clothing before buying or trying? Can be many reasons for practicing or trying most anything. It however, doesn't mean he was experienced or inexperienced with firearms or knew what he was doing or not. Likely just picking gun up for feel while using in a scene is all? In his position, how many other people would also do the same experienced or not? Sounds like filler.

And it doesn't matter if or what he was practicing for. He's an actor. He is under no obligation to be proficient with firearms. And it makes sense for an actor to practice a draw. Film is meant to look realistic ( usually).

Everyone in the chain of command with regards to guns on the movie set is culpable, especially the person charged with their safety ( i.e. The Armorer). After the death of Brandon Lee and others there is no excuse for having a firearm with live rounds anywhere near it on a movie set. After that incident there should have been protocols put into place to assure that could never happen again.

Personally I believe every scene that involves a gun of any sort on ANY movie set ANYWHERE in this country should involve BY LAW, a certified firearms instructor who checks the safety and maintains possession of every gun except during the actual filming of the scene, after which they should immediately take possession of the weapon. In reality there should NEVER be an operable firearm on a movie set.

A lot of people bear the responsibility for this "accident" and every one of them should be held to account.

deadhorse.PNG

Here is why he was practicing, they were setting up the shot. There was extra light coming in on the shot and things had to be adjusted. Even moving an inch means things are in focus or out of focus. Each shot has to be set up. The Armor was outside the building and the shot, because of covid restrictions. The AD took the firearms from outside into the scene. Also they left the firearms for lunch then came back, they should have been reinspected.

New details have emerged regarding the on-set incident in which Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the set of the movie "Rust" that resulted in the death of the film’s director of photography, Halyna Hutchins.

According to a search warrant executed by the Santa Fe County Sheriff's office, obtained by Fox News, the actor and crew were setting up a shot that required Baldwin to cross-draw a revolver and point the weapon at the camera. However, thanks to a shadow that was coming into the church structure from light outside, the camera had to be adjusted to a different angle. Baldwin was working with the director and the cinematographer demonstrating how he was going to draw his revolver from its holster and where his arm would be for the new shot. While demonstrating, the firearm went off.

Director Joel Souza explained that he heard "what sounded like a whip and then a loud pop," and noticed Hutchins, who was standing in front of him at the time, grab her midsection as she stumbled backward. She "was assisted to the ground" by other crew members and camera operator Reid Russell recalls Hutchins saying she could not feel her legs.

Hutchins was immediately attended to by on-site medics and later airlifted to the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where she was eventually pronounced dead. Souza, who was also injured in the incident, was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Hospital in Santa Fe where he was treated for a wound near his right shoulder

Souza said three people were handling the gun for the scene. Armorer Hanna Gutierrez Reed reportedly handled prop guns left on a cart outside the structure they were shooting in due to coronavirus restrictions. Assistant director Dave Halls handed one of those guns to Baldwin. According to a Santa Fe court, Halls announced that it was a "cold gun" before giving it to the actor, lingo meaning that the firearm was unloaded. As a result, Baldwin and the two people who were wounded believed the firearm was safe to use in the staging of the scene. Both the director and Russell noted that cameras were not rolling at the time as they were still setting up the shots.

Souza said in the warrant that the cast and crew prepared the scene before lunch and then had their meal away from the shooting location around 12:30 p.m. He was not sure if the gun was checked again when everyone returned from lunch. However, he stated that firearms are supposed to be checked by the armorer followed by the assistant director before handing them to the actor. He said he was not sure if people were checked for live ammunition on their person, but stated that live ammunition should not have been anywhere near the scene.

It seems that this was strictly human error, and a lack of supervision has caused a tragedy. Perhaps a more knowledgeable armor would have made the difference, and if Baldwin himself had been more familiar with a SA handgun he could have checked it himself and discovered it was loaded. Considering all the movies made where firearms are required as props I'd say the industry has a pretty good track record, but this incidence proves that safety methods need to be standardized across the boards. Following the old saying "trust but verify" could have saved the life of a very talented person.

And it doesn't matter if or what he was practicing for. He's an actor. He is under no obligation to be proficient with firearms. And it makes sense for an actor to practice a draw. Film is meant to look realistic ( usually).

Everyone in the chain of command with regards to guns on the movie set is culpable, especially the person charged with their safety ( i.e. The Armorer). After the death of Brandon Lee and others there is no excuse for having a firearm with live rounds anywhere near it on a movie set. After that incident there should have been protocols put into place to assure that could never happen again.

Personally I believe every scene that involves a gun of any sort on ANY movie set ANYWHERE in this country should involve BY LAW, a certified firearms instructor who checks the safety and maintains possession of every gun except during the actual filming of the scene, after which they should immediately take possession of the weapon. In reality there should NEVER be an operable firearm on a movie set.

A lot of people bear the responsibility for this "accident" and every one of them should be held to account.
you know, you bring up an important thing about BY LAW, a certified instructor ought to be on site...

they have people form the ASPCA, to make dang sure no animal is harmed on set.......(at the end of every movie, in the credits)

yet, they have no one, to make sure, no one on set, gets shot....

seems like protecting animals takes first place...over humans......

Back