testtest

Tisas US Army has a mean bite

youngolddude

Professional
I ran a few magazines through my Tisas after the Wild Bunch match yesterday and it didn't take long for the hammer to bite me. The web of my hand goes over the grip safety and the hammer comes down on that, giving me a nice pinch. I'll need to wear a piece of tape there if I want to shoot 150 rounds.

Attachments

• hammer bite.jpg
    hammer bite.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
That happens to me with a standard Browning P35, or an original 1911. I don't have it with 1911A1 and I have 1911A1 grip safeties on all my 1911s, even the Commanders with Commander hammers (grip safety notched for those, of course).

I GET why people like the modern duck-butt grip safeties, but I'm a cranky old traditionalist and think they screw up the looks of a 1911 and so try to get along without them.

What you can do is carefully analyze where and how the hammer spur is biting you, and then carefully remove the biting "teeth" part with a Dremel. I've had to do this on a couple of my beloved CO2/BB replicas, including a CZ75 and a Walther PPK/S. Easy to do, doesn't take long, costs nothing, doesn't alter the original look of the gun much, and makes a HUGE difference in how it feels when shooting. ;)

I put a spur hammer on my P35 to keep it from biting me, although I strongly prefer the look of the ring hammer.

I haven't shot the SA-35, but I've handled two of them enough to tell that they won't bite me. Springfield solved the problem brilliantly somehow--it won't bite and yet they preserved the beautiful look of the ring. Perfection! ;)

I barely felt it happening, but you didn't need to be a CSI tech to see the blood spatter on the frame. I thought about grinding the spur, but I may not have enough to safely decock when I'm finished. Tape or glove, that should do it.

I barely felt it happening, but you didn't need to be a CSI tech to see the blood spatter on the frame. I thought about grinding the spur, but I may not have enough to safely decock when I'm finished. Tape or glove, that should do it.
5.11 Competition 2.0. Best gloves I've found so far. I like them so much I have like 4 pairs.

I recently purchased a Tisas Carry it does not bite and has an ambi safety which is very helpful when one is left handed.

Back