testtest

Traeger grills

I have a Green Mountain Grill nd it was good for about 16 months. It was kept indoors when not in use and regularly cleaned. I've had it for 5 years, but after 16 months it has been nothing but troublesome! I have also been trying to decide on a new pellet grill and going through reviews it's hit and miss on even Traeger! Good luck and get an extended warranty!

The 'Ironwood' 885 or 650 model, either size is great but the bigger one is far more versatile. And right now both come with a "Black Friday" accessory bundle. They are double insulated on the ends and feature a rear exhaust outlet. That feature alone makes them a standout in how the smoke is delivered across the food. The 'Timberline' models have a couple features over the Ironwood, but not enough to justify the additional cost in my estimation.

I've been a smoker/BBQ'r for a lot of years and more often than not I use a stick burner ..... but on certain occasions I'll drag out the pellet smoker. I've tried several over time and when all the dust settles and the noise dies down, I still come away with the 'Traeger'.

I don't often disagree with Hans on much of anything, but on this one I'll just have to. Pit Boss is a good pellet smoker, but Traeger is the daddy of them all. Especially with the introduction of the new model pellet feeder/auger and the DC drive motor. You can take it to the woods, the beach, the camp, or even the neighbor's back yard and use a car/truck battery to power it. I haven't looked lately but don't think Pit Boss or any other has the DC volt drive yet.

But hey, I could be wrong.

The 'Ironwood' 885 or 650 model, either size is great but the bigger one is far more versatile. And right now both come with a "Black Friday" accessory bundle. They are double insulated on the ends and feature a rear exhaust outlet. That feature alone makes them a standout in how the smoke is delivered across the food. The 'Timberline' models have a couple features over the Ironwood, but not enough to justify the additional cost in my estimation.

I've been a smoker/BBQ'r for a lot of years and more often than not I use a stick burner ..... but on certain occasions I'll drag out the pellet smoker. I've tried several over time and when all the dust settles and the noise dies down, I still come away with the 'Traeger'.

I don't often disagree with Hans on much of anything, but on this one I'll just have to. Pit Boss is a good pellet smoker, but Traeger is the daddy of them all. Especially with the introduction of the new model pellet feeder/auger and the DC drive motor. You can take it to the woods, the beach, the camp, or even the neighbor's back yard and use a car/truck battery to power it. I haven't looked lately but don't think Pit Boss or any other has the DC volt drive yet.

But hey, I could be wrong.
While I agree that the idea if a DC motor is cool…if you’re never going to take it anywhere, and it’s just going to sit on your deck, it's not a huge selling point.

And as I understand it, Pit Boss was started by the guy who originally designed the Traeger, but was unhappy with how they built it; felt they cut corners….or that could be legend.

While I agree that the idea if a DC motor is cool…if you’re never going to take it anywhere, and it’s just going to sit on your deck, it's not a huge selling point.

And as I understand it, Pit Boss was started by the guy who originally designed the Traeger, but was unhappy with how they built it; felt they cut corners….or that could be legend.
You're right in that the DC drive system isn't really that big a deal if you're going to keep it at home and I was only half serious about the voltage, but it is a substantial improvement on the power and reliability of the drive motor and auger itself. That's just my opinion, I've not done any testing but it just seems that way from experience. And if you ever do get a pellet clog (and you will sooner or later) it's so much easier to clear if you can simply reverse the motor/auger rather than having to take it all apart. But that's a personal thing for me. And I'd keep in mind the Traeger rear exhaust on the 'Ironwood' and 'Timberline' that I believe to be a better smoke flow method. YMMV.

And as for the origin of the Pit Boss being Traeger, I don't know. I don't remember ever hearing that legend, but it could just be me.

To the original poster, go take a look at them in the store. Walmart usually has the Pit Boss, and you can find the Traeger at most Ace Hardware stores. Look 'em over, kick the tires, pick 'em up and drop 'em (I'm talking about the doors), and see which one actually turns you on. Then break out the Visa and take it home with you. You'll learn to like either one after a short learning curve. They're both really good smokers.

I'm not a Traeger salesman, but am a real fan from experience, so I'll end my involvement here with this post. But do get back and let us know how you decided and show us some pics of some good lookin' Q.

Last edited:
Here's what I use for all purposes...

Grill-001.jpg
Grill-002.jpg

Grill-003.jpg

I burn wood, charcoal, pellets, you name it. Very basic. The more complicated the unit, the more things to go wrong. Yeah, I'll sometimes have to babysit without all the automation, but with a comfortable beach chair, a beer, and a splash of Jameson, much can be accomplished.

Cheers

Bob

Last edited:

View attachment 22497View attachment 22498
View attachment 22499

I burn wood, charcoal, pellets, you name it. Very basic. The more complicated the unit, the more things to go wrong. Yeah, I'll sometimes have to babysit without all the automation, but with a comfortable beach chair, a beer, and a splash of Jameson, much can be accomplished.

Cheers

Bob
Very nice!

However, if I’m only going to do a rack or two of ribs, it’s a bit overkill…

Traeger is fine - it's what I have, but there are other cheaper options that come with more functionality and space. I love my Traeger. In fact, that company does more charitable work than most. I have a little "behind the scenes" view into the charity that company is engaged in and it's astounding. That's why I am happy to support them.

View attachment 22497View attachment 22498
View attachment 22499

Cheers

Bob
This looks a whole lot like a home built 'Meadow Creek' pig or chicken roaster built on a 'Tractor Supply' yard/utility trailer with a grill rack out of a walk in cooler. That's a great plan and the quality of workmanship looks excellent. Did you build it yourself?

I usually use LP tanks for my conversions, sometimes an unused condensate return tank destined for a steam boiler application. Over years I've probably built several dozen of various sizes and uses, some for myself, some for customers. But I generally always have a quick n clean model sitting around for emergencies, a 'keep it warm', or a little extra space.

And I couldn't agree with you anymore on the "comfortable beach chair, a beer, and a splash of Jameson, much can be accomplished." Although I will pass on the Jameson and opt for a couple fingers of Jack Daniels or maybe a touch of Maker's Mark. But they all work the same magic.

This looks a whole lot like a home built 'Meadow Creek' pig or chicken roaster built on a 'Tractor Supply' yard/utility trailer with a grill rack out of a walk in cooler. That's a great plan and the quality of workmanship looks excellent. Did you build it yourself?

I usually use LP tanks for my conversions, sometimes an unused condensate return tank destined for a steam boiler application. Over years I've probably built several dozen of various sizes and uses, some for myself, some for customers. But I generally always have a quick n clean model sitting around for emergencies, a 'keep it warm', or a little extra space.

And I couldn't agree with you anymore on the "comfortable beach chair, a beer, and a splash of Jameson, much can be accomplished." Although I will pass on the Jameson and opt for a couple fingers of Jack Daniels or maybe a touch of Maker's Mark. But they all work the same magic.
It was built by Belson. It’s a Belson Port-a-Grill

Back