testtest

Trigger options for Hellcat

Looks like Apex and hyve technologies have come out with a trigger --- any questions i will answer to the best of my knowledge--- Anybody know what happen to the gentleman making the custom trig ???

Looks like Apex and hyve technologies have come out with a trigger --- any questions i will answer to the best of my knowledge--- Anybody know what happen to the gentleman making the custom trig ???
Hey which trigger would you say is better between the apex and the hyve Monarch?

Just put the Powder River Precision upgraded trigger assembly on my Hellcat. I have to say WOW what a difference 4/4.5 lbs trigger pull. Shorter reset and it sits slightly further back in the guard. The PRP trigger really brings the surprise shot back. I would recommend it for others looking for a trigger upgrade

I'll weigh in on the Apex trigger since I recently installed one specifically because of the "lock up" issue with the factory trigger. Let me be very clear about this:

The Apex trigger can lock up just like the factory trigger.

If you pull the Apex trigger body to the rear until it stops the blade will not move, effectively locking up just like the factory trigger. At this point I'm assuming this is how Springfield intended the safety to work.

The caveat to that is because of the shape and design of the Apex trigger I have so far been unable to lock it up when holding the gun as you would when firing. I can force it to lock by carefully pulling the trigger body specifically to reproduce the issue, but when gripping the gun I can't find any way to get my hand on it and finger on the trigger that will lock it up. Unlike the factory trigger which would lock up if you put too much finger through the trigger guard so far there is no amount of "too much trigger finger" that I can apply that will cause the lockup. If I had to guess I'd say it's because the blade is smaller but wider, making it much easier to depress.

It's a pretty small pistol and I have fairly large hands so I'm reasonably confident in saying that for all practical purposes the Apex trigger resolves the issue.

Beyond that, the apex trigger is a bit lighter, noticeably smoother, and has a slightly shorter reset than the factory trigger.

Just put the Powder River Precision upgraded trigger assembly on my Hellcat. I have to say WOW what a difference 4/4.5 lbs trigger pull. Shorter reset and it sits slightly further back in the guard. The PRP trigger really brings the surprise shot back. I would recommend it for others looking for a trigger upgrade
I've had a prototype of the PRP trigger for a couple months, have only gotten to shoot it once but was able to put 100 plus rounds through that day and it is a HUGE improvement over the factory trigger. My issues with the factory trigger weren't "preference". I've owned and shot a lot of handguns over the years including other Springfield's with similar trigger designs and never had any of the issues I had with the Hellcat. The safety was simply not fluid and prone to keep the gun from firing unless I had my finger placed at a very specific angle, so it was just awkward and not confidence inspiring. The PRP is made very well, and is very smooth / fluid, the safety works as it should without being cumbersome. My only suggestion would be to taper the sides a little so it's not quite so square but that is a minor complaint, doesn't affect the comfortable, functional operation of the trigger. Mine looks unique since it was not anodized as a prototype. Many thanks to the folks at PRP for listening to my input and allowing me to test drive the prototype and give feedback. Great folks with a great product!

I've had a prototype of the PRP trigger for a couple months, have only gotten to shoot it once but was able to put 100 plus rounds through that day and it is a HUGE improvement over the factory trigger. My issues with the factory trigger weren't "preference". I've owned and shot a lot of handguns over the years including other Springfield's with similar trigger designs and never had any of the issues I had with the Hellcat. The safety was simply not fluid and prone to keep the gun from firing unless I had my finger placed at a very specific angle, so it was just awkward and not confidence inspiring. The PRP is made very well, and is very smooth / fluid, the safety works as it should without being cumbersome. My only suggestion would be to taper the sides a little so it's not quite so square but that is a minor complaint, doesn't affect the comfortable, functional operation of the trigger. Mine looks unique since it was not anodized as a prototype. Many thanks to the folks at PRP for listening to my input and allowing me to test drive the prototype and give feedback. Great folks with a great product!

Thanks for your feedback as well! Your comment of ‘not confidence inspiring’ is well put.
That is part of the reason I made the switch and I wanted the surprise shot back. The stock trigger just did not have that anymore after I kinda lost that confidence of sorts.
Lots of practice draws to snap cap fire from concealment really helped me move past the trigger placement. The Hellcat definitely keeps you honest on a straight trigger pull. I might as bold to say, educating and training myself on the straight back pull definitely helped me with my other EDCs in my rotation. I feel accuracy went up slightly. Without that side tug and honest straight back. Slight right pulls were reduced (being right handed )
I can’t express enough, that snap cap dry fire from concealment practice is a complete game changer. Especially when you have multiple layers of clothing. Let’s say a shirt, hoodie and a light jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ive been working on a trigger for those that are interested. It is a flat face trigger but it also removes the trigger safety. Not everyone is comfortable with that I completely understand.
Comfortable? Simple trigger work? All that easy? Remove factory safety or replace trigger itself? Thinking does it matter? Can make LOT of difference depending on where gun used, why and what trigger work's been done and not always as thought? For CC, self defense or range shooting? Why new or old trigger's good or not so good? May depend on where? On the range, in a courtroom or for personal defense?

Fickle Hellcat factory trigger can periodically hang or catch on depression. Overmolding or possibly flashing to original design from what have seen, heard and read. One used had trigger hang up on depression from time to time. Original trigger has been repaired. Works better, not perfect, just better. Wish was just as simple as just replacing trigger as it should be.

Thanks for your feedback as well! Your comment of ‘not confidence inspiring’ is well put.
That is part of the reason I made the switch and I wanted the surprise shot back. The stock trigger just did not have that anymore after I kinda lost that confidence of sorts.
Lots of practice draws to snap cap fire from concealment really helped me move past the trigger placement. The Hellcat definitely keeps you honest on a straight trigger pull. I might as bold to say, educating and training myself on the straight back pull definitely helped me with my other EDCs in my rotation. I feel accuracy went up slightly. Without that side tug and honest straight back. Slight right pulls were reduced (being right handed )
I can’t express enough, that snap cap dry fire from concealment practice is a complete game changer. Especially when you have multiple layers of clothing. Let’s say a shirt, hoodie and a light jacket.

My only complaint was the safety not being consistent, the rest of the trigger function was fine for me. But the safety is what I'd like to call critical. The PRP comes back a little too far for my taste before it fires so the reset can be a little tricky but overall it's great, and the safety is consistent as it should be. I have small hands but again, never had any issues like this with all of the other various Beretta, Sig, Walther, Glock and Springfield guns I've owned and shot. If someone has no issues with it, that's great but I don't have any time for folks that get all huffy and condescending like the issue just has to be the shooter. When multiple companies start making after market triggers for a gun this new it's not all related to performance, pull distance, pull pressure etc, the issues with the safety are pretty well documented and established at this point.

Article in Guns & Ammo mentions the "improved" Hellcat Gen 2 trigger. Hmm,,,,, Has anyone tried to see if side pressure on the trigger will cause it to "lock up" like my original hellcat trigger does? If it still locks up, then everyone must be correct that my trigger press is the problem and the gun is functioning as designed. If it doesn't "lock up", can the new trigger be placed in the older Hellcats?

I’m considering the Hyve Monarch. Not so much because of the safety issue, but because the Hyve is adjustable and can be adjusted to where there is virtually no take up. Much closer to a single action 1911. And the reset can be adjusted as well.

Anyone with experience with the Hyve Monarch on the Hellcat? Looks like they sell just the trigger and not a whole kit.

Article in Guns & Ammo mentions the "improved" Hellcat Gen 2 trigger. Hmm,,,,, Has anyone tried to see if side pressure on the trigger will cause it to "lock up" like my original hellcat trigger does? If it still locks up, then everyone must be correct that my trigger press is the problem and the gun is functioning as designed. If it doesn't "lock up", can the new trigger be placed in the older Hellcats?
It’s redesigned so it’s going to react differently. You simply don’t like the original design. No gun fits every shooter and people completely forget that the size of the Hellcat, including the grip dimensions, directly affects trigger finger placement. The ratio of people with trigger “problems” to sales is incredibly small but, like many things in the firearms community (or any community really) people with product issues are disproportionately vocal.

Springfield does not sell components. If you don’t like something on your gun you can do what millions of others have and buy an aftermarket part (like larger/smaller mag and slide stops, grips, hammers, triggers, strikers, sears).

Don’t really want to modify the pistol with non factory parts. Will new trigger fit older hellcats? Also, do you know if the sticking as a result of sidepull can still occur with the gen 2? I’ll work on trigger pull in any case. I can’t induce the same sticking with my old xd40. If trigger moves to rear due to sidepull ahead of the safety blade moving that causes the sticking. I so looked forward to getting my hellcat and was surprised and disappointed when it would stick up. As I said I’ll just have to work on trigger pull, but it will be interesting to follow if gen2 puts an end to sticking complaints.

In my humble opinion and thoughts
I do not want to start an heated debate
The trigger pull with the side issue really a non-issue
The Hellcat Trigger keeps a person honest on a straight pull back. Increasing accuracy and control
I have to force myself to make it happen
I have two Hellcats one with the PRP and the other stock.
I have handed them to so many friends, family and range buddies I have lost count to try.
Rapid fire, pull from conceal etc...
Zero, of them have reproduce the side load trigger thing. Most everyone loves the Hellcat a few have said just to snappy. But, very manageable.
So from my experience and feedback. The side load trigger thing is kinda Meh okay

I agree trigger should force better accuracy since it must be pulled straight back. And in all reality, I should not ever have a need to use the pistol in self defense. Maybe a lot of practice will give me the confidence that should it be needed it will fire. Apparently no one else is having this issue with the trigger.

Back