testtest

US customs officers seize 10 shipments of illegally shipped gun parts in Indianapolis

shanneba

Custom
The CBP said the shipments contained a total of 56 types of gun parts and accessories commonly used in the manufacturing of firearm parts including grips, sights, swivels, slings, rifle stocks and conversion kits.
The shipments were heading to a variety of different residences in Ohio, Iowa, Tennessee, Texas, Florida, Virginia and North Carolina.

Only licensed importers, dealers, or manufacturers are permitted to import weapons and ammunition, according to the CBP.

The CBP said the shipments contained a total of 56 types of gun parts and accessories commonly used in the manufacturing of firearm parts including grips, sights, swivels, slings, rifle stocks and conversion kits.
Only licensed importers, dealers, or manufacturers are permitted to import weapons and ammunition, according to the CBP.

Am I the only one failing to see the connection here? Gun Parts, Accessories and tools to make grips, sights, swivels, slings and rifle stocks..... Are NOT Weapons and Ammunition....

So is this another abuse of power and government over reach, or just more lazy utterly incompetent and grossly ignorant reporting from what constitute the miserable state of our media today?

The importer of the seized parts did not appear to be a federal firearm licensed manufacturer or dealer and therefore were seized by the ATF for not having the required permits.
I don't know all the laws, maybe this has something to do with it? Do you need to be a FFL and have permits to import Grips, swivels or slings?

:unsure: Wouldn't it be nice if we had people that would research these things and talk to the people involved to get the pertinent details and then report them in a mass media market for the average person to understand?

Am I the only one failing to see the connection here? Gun Parts, Accessories and tools to make grips, sights, swivels, slings and rifle stocks..... Are NOT Weapons and Ammunition....

So is this another abuse of power and government over reach, or just more lazy utterly incompetent and grossly ignorant reporting from what constitute the miserable state of our media today?

I don't know all the laws, maybe this has something to do with it? Do you need to be a FFL and have permits to import Grips, swivels or slings?

:unsure: Wouldn't it be nice if we had people that would research these things and talk to the people involved to get the pertinent details and then report them in a mass media market for the average person to understand?
Some are illegal to import, just as the US can't export to other countries.

Something smells fishy for sure.

Dealing with importation is a freaking minefield. With 33 years of LE experience and the vagueness of the article I’d presume there is still an investigation ongoing so they aren’t tipping the hand yet. there were more than likely some prohibited import parts like receivers etc. And the sling swivels and other parts mentioned were thrown in so they seized it all until they can figure it iut.

So I wouldn’t get ones parties in an uproar just yet!

An application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition, and Defense Articles is generally needed to import defense articles into the United States.

Remember: If you are a Federal firearms licensee Type “08” or “11” but you have not registered as an importer under the Arms Export Control Action, you are restricted to importing sporting shotguns, sporting shotgun ammunition, and sporting shotgun parts for resale.

Defense Articles include magazines, grips, barrels, mounts, etc. Note the magazine capacity as well as the type and model designation of the firearm associated with the parts.

From ATF-
Import Firearms, Ammunition, and Defense Articles

Here is a link to download the Import form- Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Defense Articles

Under General Info #7
An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting type ammunition (excluding tracer or incendiary) and firearm parts (other than frames, receivers, or actions) without engaging the services of a Federal firearms licensee, provided that the importation is for his personal use and not for resale.

Last edited:

One word ITAR
easy to read article

works both way in and out of the country. Everything down to things like a Safariland holster or Magpul grip or mlok cover falls under ITAR.

Back