testtest

Vortex

I have a vortex strikefire 2 on one of my ARs and I really like it. On a sunny day you drop the illumination as low as possible and you have a great little dot to place on things that need an infusion of lead.

Debating getting one for my AR pistol.

Last edited:
I don't have any of their micro-RDSs (the ones that can mount-to-slide, such as the Venom/Viper), but I have had good experience with their full-size RDSs, as well as continue to use their lower-cost scopes and 3x-fixed magnifier on my ARs and 10/22.

I purchased my first-generation PST 1-4x as a "good enough" LPVO so that I could prove to myself whether I could use it (and other LPVOs like it) as a true all-round optic. I've had the optic on my main class/training beater now for somewhere around 5 years, and it's still going strong. I'm *_still_* saving for a Khales even after all this time partially because I've found this scope to be quite capable for all that I need it for.

The 3x-fixed magnifier is riding on my class backup gun, behind an Aimpoint PRO. I do wish that the magnifier's optics were a little better, but for the price, I honestly can't complain. I haven't put my eyes behind the current-generation model, however, so I don't know if it's seen incremental upgrade.

The Crossfire 3-7x Rimfire on my 10/22 performs at a price-appropriate level.

Vortex as a brand has a pretty big following because of how competitively priced their low- and mid-tier optics are, while their high-end models compete head-to-head with the other big-dogs. Their warranty servicing is really great, too.

I have had a couple of Venom and Vipers over the years. They are fine, especially if you get them under $200. Their warranty service is great, and the glass and construction are solid, if a bit dated. The Venom is the older of the two, more along the lines of the Burris Fastfire than the later generations of RDS sights.

The Viper is newer, smaller, and a bit better feeling. They are both on the large side and don't have the greatest battery life, but they get the job done. I would suggest also looking at the Holosun 407 and 507, the newer Truglow rds and the Burris. They are all in the same price point. I think the Holosun is the best of the lot by far and run them on a several of my guns.

I have a Venom mounted on a S&W 9mm Shield, love it. Its mounted on rear sight slot using a Outer Impact plate.
shoot about 100 rnds per week at range. 6moa dot, good for me. Old eyes. probably 1200 rnds thru it, only thing I had was battery cover backed up a trace to cut off light. probably did not tighten enough on original mounting.
I just purchased a Hellcat OSP and am trying to find a dot to mount without spending 400$. Maybe a Sig Romeo Zero.

Bought a Strike Eagle 1-8 not to long ago and absolutely hated it. It blurred at magnification over 6X so why advertise it as 1X-8X? The reticle when lit would light up the inside of the scope walls. Didn't care for that, kind of cheap. The illumination settings did not have an off option between each setting. You have to scroll through all settings to get to your desired setting for illumination. Then vice versa to turn off the illumination. The scope was also horrible with eye wall. Sold it as soon as I could. Worst scope purchase I have made in years. I will stick to Burris, and Trijicon.

^ I hit the "Like" on RandomHero post above because it illustrates very importantly the need to purchase towards the fulfillment of "mission."

The Strike Eagle was never intended to be an up-market optic. It is no more than any other entry-level optic of the same magnification range and build.

Folks need to be aware that just because a scope says "1x-8x" that does not necessarily mean that either the "1x" on the low end is a "true" 1x nor that at the highest magnification that the optic is at all useful.

It's like buying a $50 "1000x" USB microscope via Amazon or Wish and comparing it to an actual scientific instrument that costs 100 times that price.

A friend of mine took Steve "The Yeti" Fisher's (Sentinel Concepts) "Urban Rifle" class a few years ago, which is a class specifically designed to make shooters aware of both the advantages and limitations of their .223/5.56 AR15 setups at distances between 100 and 300 yards, under both daylight as well as low-light situations. This shooter went into the class with a "beginner's setup" - that very same Strike Eagle - not because he thought that it would fare well, but rather, so that he could have a look-see at other's setups before he committed his money to a purchase. He went in knowing fully that what he had was likely going to present as a limiting factor.

What he found was that during daylight, things actually wasn't bad at all - that at least within 300 yards, he could easily hang with all the other shooters.

But as soon as it started getting towards twilight, every penny that the others had invested in their optics became more and more apparent.

Also, with this, it's worth it to realize that just because a scope has a certain brand-name emblazoned on its flanks does not necessarily mean that it's going to be magical. Just because one scope says "Burris" or "Trijicon" on it doesn't necessarily make that scope better than one that reads "Vortex" on the side.

For example, Burris's low-end optics offers no exceptions from the optical distortions and shoddy electrical (if so equipped) issues that other low-end optics fare. Similarly, SMEs such as Steve Fisher have also pointed out shortcomings in certain Trijicon optics (https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/best-ar-15-scopes-steve-yeti-fisher/ - note that he specifically calls out the AccuPower for its lack of daylight-visible illumination). And on the flip side, it's commonly known that at the high end of the market, Vortex's Razor HD continually remains among shooters' top choices.

Sure, the Strike Eagle may not be the most awesome thing since sliced bread - but don't discount Vortex's entire line because of it. ;)

The only experience I have had with Vortex was with my shooting buddy's top end scope on his 6.5 Creedmoor Savage he used for F-Class competition. We had problems keeping it sighted in from session to session. He sent it back to the manufacturer twice before they were able to rectify the problem.

Also talked with son from Alaska this week. He changed a Vortex Viper 1-4x 24 from his AR .223 to his AR .450 Bushmaster. After 5 shots it would not adjust horizontally and the adjustment knob fell off. Good thing going for Vortex is their lifetime warrantee. Needless to say his Viper is on its way back to Vortex. 🤔

Mine ( Vortex Venom) has stayed true since I zero'ed it. Probably around 700 rds..

This is me zero'ing it at 20 yards. Took about 1 magazine.

UPbF6qO.jpg

mORDRsE.jpg

I have become a true believer in Vortex. Since my first exposure around two years ago, i have purchased seven. Various models in various price ranges.They are mounted on my Ground hog truck gun, my silhouette rifle, 6mm Creedmoor egg breaker, S&W 22A, and several others. I have a brand new Viper tactical 6 x 24 x 50 sitting on the gun bench as we speak. It will be installed on my Ruger Precision rifle in 5.56 with a set of burris signature rings. Since the beginning of my use I have not had the first problem with these optics. As my other brands go by the wayside , they will be replaced by Vortex products

The only experience I have had with Vortex was with my shooting buddy's top end scope on his 6.5 Creedmoor Savage he used for F-Class competition. We had problems keeping it sighted in from session to session. He sent it back to the manufacturer twice before they were able to rectify the problem.

Also talked with son from Alaska this week. He changed a Vortex Viper 1-4x 24 from his AR .223 to his AR .450 Bushmaster. After 5 shots it would not adjust horizontally and the adjustment knob fell off. Good thing going for Vortex is their lifetime warrantee. Needless to say his Viper is on its way back to Vortex.

Unfortunately that's the joke about Vortex's optics -

1583082403464.png

That it's a good thing that it's got that rock-solid warranty and eager-to-please C/S.

I have a Vortex Venom mounted on a M&P Shield 9mm. It was installed Nov8 2019 using the battery they shipped. Battery just died, venom was set on manual with lowest brightness selected.
Battery was on all the time, so I got 3200 hrs out of it. I like this sight and no problems, approx 900 rnds using sight. Will see how second battery holds up.

I have a Vortex Venom mounted on a M&P Shield 9mm. It was installed Nov8 2019 using the battery they shipped. Battery just died, venom was set on manual with lowest brightness selected.
Battery was on all the time, so I got 3200 hrs out of it. I like this sight and no problems, approx 900 rnds using sight. Will see how second battery holds up.

The Venom is a nice sight. If I was putting one on a carry gun though it wouldn't be the Vortex. If for no other reason than the always on thing. I would spend the extra and get something with MOTAC ( Shake awake).

@Susquash, that’s unfortunate. I hate to hear that. I have several models of Vortex optics and have been fortunate and pleased with them. I do appreciate the warranty they offer. No doubt there is better out there, but I have read even NF has issues. In my experience, for the money Vortex is hard to beat.

Back