testtest

Wayne LaPierre resigns

Excerpt from Outdoor Wire article.

One of the topics that dominated every conversation -at least the ones I heard- was far away from the miles of aisles here in Las Vegas. Many of the industry’s eyes are still focused on the New York Supreme Courthouse in lower Manhattan where the case of the State of New York versus the National Rifle Association continues.

Last Thursday, former heir-apparent to Wayne LaPierre, Chris Cox told the jurors he ultimately had no choice but to leave the organization after he became aware of the “disgusting” financial abuses of LaPierre. Those abuses, Cox said, extended to the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) which he headed. Cox told the courtroom that when he asked to see the expenses LaPierre was running through the NRA-ILA, he wasn’t just denied, he was told “Nobody sees those.”

Despite the growing litany of financial question marks, from the payments and a “toxic relationship” with service supplier Ackerman McQueen, Cox claimed the final straw that led to his leaving in 2019 was learning about the $250,000 in luxury clothing LaPierre had billed to the NRA.

“I was floored,” Cox told jurors, “I was extremely disgusted.” To the point, he said, he drafted a resignation letter that morning.

But before he could leave on his own, he was placed on administrative leave, accused of attempting to “a coup” against LaPierre. Cox told the court he was “so pissed off” by the accusation, primarily because “I never had any intention of running against Wayne LaPierre. It was absurd.”

Surprise, it seems, isn’t in short supply in this trial.

Friday afternoon, word of a filing by the LaPierre defense team that claims, among other things, that LaPierre’s medical condition has caused a “significant deterioration” of the physical size of his brain, mental fogginess, severe headaches, fatigue and eye pain that will “likely impact his abilities to testify for extended periods each day.”

In response, LaPierre’s defense counsel has asked the trial judge for a “reasonable accommodation” allowing LaPierre flexibility in testifying.

He is -or was- expected to begin what was originally anticipated to be lengthy testimony later this week.

A letter from LaPierre’s physician to the NRA’s Charles Cotton on January 3 was introduced in the motion. In that letter, the doctor says “Mr. LaPierre’s health as been slowly deteriorating these last few years. In August 2022, he had worsening headaches and and a CT Head was done, with demonstrated significant cerebral volume loss and chronic small vessel ischemic changes.”

Those, Dr. Pappas concluded, lead to significant pain and discomfort.

All this leads to couple of simple questions. First, how is it possible for this trial to continue for the original six weeks anticipated? There’s not a lot of defense being mounted at this point, and virtually all testimony has affirmed, not refuted, the alleged pattern of bad conduct by senior officials.

Which leads to a more focused question: is the LaPierre defense tossing a Hail Mary with the failing health disclosure?

What looked like an advanced accounting course for not-for-profits when it opened, this case is looking more like the final episodes of a soap opera by the day.

Whatever, we’ll keep you posted- even if it’s from a distance.

— Jim Shepherd

Buz Mills’ Open Letter To The Board​

If you're not familiar with Buz, he is the owner of Gunsite Academy and a current member of the NRA Board.

Maybe NRA can restore its reputation now. I’m going to have to look into joining it again. Can’t imagine this is anything but good news!

I wonder what the pension looks like.

Buz Mills’ Open Letter To The Board​

If you're not familiar with Buz, he is the owner of Gunsite Academy and a current member of the NRA Board.
Wow.

ive been a Patron member for a long time and contributed a lot of $$ over the years to try and protect what I believe. I stopped submitting $$ years ago because of Wayne and his cronies and the never ending call for money when untold $$ were going not to support the cause but to line the pockets of a few at the top.

Well, so far I’ve heard no one in the gun industry - even WLP himself - defend WLP.

What’s sad is that at one point the NRA claimed a membership of over 5 million. In one of these recent articles, their membership is stated to be 2 million. I just don’t think people wanted to contribute to WLP & his BOD cronie’s lavish lifestyle. Or to pay for attorney fees to defend their questionable behavior.

From a comment or two, I think even BassBob is seeing the corruption that went on.

The NRA needs to straighten this out from top to bottom and get back to doing what they did for decades - defend and uphold our 2A rights.

Well, so far I’ve heard no one in the gun industry - even WLP himself - defend WLP.

What’s sad is that at one point the NRA claimed a membership of over 5 million. In one of these recent articles, their membership is stated to be 2 million. I just don’t think people wanted to contribute to WLP & his BOD cronie’s lavish lifestyle. Or to pay for attorney fees to defend their questionable behavior.

From a comment or two, I think even BassBob is seeing the corruption that went on.

The NRA needs to straighten this out from top to bottom and get back to doing what they did for decades - defend and uphold our 2A rights.
The board needs to go. That Buzz guy has the right plan.

Back