testtest

Wayne LaPierre resigns

It is good for the NRA that the Executive VP has resigned. He has been accused of a lot of things, and he may or may not be guilty, Whatever the case, he deserves a fair and unbiased trial, which will be difficult to get. If he is guilty, the Board is also guilty. In any case, it seems a lot of folks have dropped their NRA membership, which I think is sad. And this at a time like we are in now in D.C.

Whether any of the folks who have dropped their membership will now return remains to be seen. Talk is pretty cheap.
IMO all those folks failed to see the big picture. We can only hope now that all these lower tiered orgs that filled in the vacuum amount to something. it remains to be seen if any of them will ever hold any sway over politicians. Dwindling NRA membership virtually guarantees that politicians who were previously afraid to run afoul of the NRA are going to be much more open to the possibility of trashing the 2A for political expediency.

I'm glad he's gone. But I fear his replacement will be his own hand picked crony. Nothing will change. 🤬
Hadn't thought of that. That's a possibility, and something to watch out for. Thanks for bringing it up.

It'll be up to the voting members to replace the board, but just like the US Senate, completely replacing it will take three election cycles (in this case, three years).

Still, overall, this news gives some HOPE in what's looking like a very, VERY gloomy year.

stukk-well-that-escalated-quickly.gif

I am an Endowment level Life Member. I joined in 2018 when I started getting an interest is shooting sports. It seems to me that, right, wrong or indifferent, the NRA has been building up to this "Bud Light" moment for a long time. Loosing over a million paying members in a short time is not something any organization can afford to weather. A lot of it could have been avoided if they had not played their cards close to their vest. As an example, have you ever received a solicitation for director nominations? I have not. I only got to vote on the board's hand picked nominees.

I am a believer in term limits for government and organizations. People who are in place for decades tend to get unresponsive to the rank and file. In my opinion, WLP has joined this club (along with Schumer, McConnell, Cornyn, etc).

New leadership will be a breath of fresh air for us all.

WLP got too caught up in the political game. He liked to wheel and deal and compromise. You can't compromise on our rights. 🤬
The NRA was noticeably absent during much of the pistol brace battle. But when victory was almost certain, they joined the fight at the last minute. Suddenly, they were all over the news shouting "See what we did!" All they actually did was ride the coattails of other 2nd Amendment organizations that actually did the work. :mad:
WLP may finally be gone, but unless the NRA grows some balls and gets back in the fight, nothing will change.

I just read an insider's report from the NRA BOD. IMHO it's excellent. Gonna post a link to it here, for those interested.

In what reality is the court authorized to choose the president of a civil rights organization ?
I heard it discussed on GunTalk and as I remember it, the court may have the power to remove the board and appoint a guardian to look after the organization until the trial is over. This could result in new bylaws etc. to prevent the alleged mismanagement.

I'll start this off by saying that nothing I'll write from here on out is to agree with, disagree with, argue with, or accept the opinions of anyone here ... but will be my opinion/conviction and mine alone. What I have to go on is the same news reports, opinion pieces, gossip and/or conjecture of everyone who has participated in this thread. I recognize that some here claim to have had access to special information, or even private meetings involving this question, but I cannot find anywhere the content of that special information or those private meetings has been divulged. Again, I neither agree nor disagree with anyone except on the fact there has been no real evidence provided: With that qualifier being said:

I am an ardent supporter of the 2nd amendment and will never accept any infringement on it to the best of my ability.
I am an ardent supporter of anyone/any organization who supports the second amendment.
I am more supportive of those people/organizations who provide the most efficient support of the second amendment than other less effective for whatever reason.
I have personally seen no evidence of wrongdoing by anyone in leadership of the most effective organization, the NRA.
Unless and until I do see actual evidence I will continue to support the organization deemed the most efficient/effective ... that being the NRA.
I agree there are other 2nd amendment supportive organizations, but none with the clout of the NRA, in fact all the others combined together do not have the clout of the NRA.
Without the NRA maintaining a strong and vocal standing, it cannot protect and defend the 2nd amendment effectively.
Membership accepting accusations as evidence and withholding membership funding is far more detrimental to NRA's effectiveness than any one man could ever be.
Continued reduction in NRA membership is the single most effective tool the anti-gun agenda has.
I truly fear the results of the fight to defend and protect the 2nd as long as the NRA is being torn apart at the roots.
I guess it all boils down to this ... as ardent a supporter as I am of the 2nd, I'm just that supportive of the premise of "Innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".

Personally I don't know just how I feel about the individual here being condemned, but I do know, as far as I'm concerned, he deserves and gets the same "IUPQBaRD" as everyone else. And until he is proven guilty as charged, I'll continue to support the most productive pro 2nd amd political action group there ever was. I feel very apprehensive that we've virtually killing the 'goose that lays the golden egg' as far as effectiveness in supporting the 2nd for us all by finding an excuse in WLP charges to drop our membership's financial support. It's every man's/woman's personal choice and decision who/how they support any organization based on whatever criteria they choose as important and I'll support that personal choice just as I do the 2nd and the "innocent till proven guilty" ideology.

Nothing written above is intended to be accusatory nor judgemental toward anyone. Just this one man's opinion. jj

I actually hope WLP is found not guilty of the charges. What pisses me off about him is that he became an ineffective leader of the largest 2nd Amendment organization in the country mainly due to playing politics and personal greed.
With all due respect, although I think I understand your thinking, I can't/won't speak to the charge of "personal greed". However, his ability at playing politics is much of what made him very 'effective in defending and protecting the 2nd'. Maybe that attribute alone does not equate to him being an effective "leader of the largest 2nd Amendment organization in the country", but it's hard to argue the effectiveness of the organization he led. jj

Back