testtest

What Ammo do You Carry and Why?

Critical Defense or Gold Dot

I used to speculate as to which one would be best and why but gave that up after realizing I will never be doing any of these type of tests to the extent the companys manufacturing this stuff do. I look for what is recommended in my weapon of choice and see if it meets the FBI standards and go with it. I know a lot of cops that love the Gold Dot and now the Critical Defense is getting a lot of positive ink as well and that is good enough for me. Plus, they both shoot great out of my Hellcat.

Critical Defense or Gold Dot

I used to speculate as to which one would be best and why but gave that up after realizing I will never be doing any of these type of tests to the extent the companys manufacturing this stuff do. I look for what is recommended in my weapon of choice and see if it meets the FBI standards and go with it. I know a lot of cops that love the Gold Dot and now the Critical Defense is getting a lot of positive ink as well and that is good enough for me. Plus, they both shoot great out of my Hellcat.
I think you're last statement is key. You should choose the ammunition that cycles reliably out of your EDC.

I've ran Federal HST in 9mm and .45ACP for several years based on ballistics tests, I have.........several boxes of it so that's pretty much all I carry in my EDC handguns. I recently found a really good deal on Winchester Ranger 147 grain bonded JHP. One of my local gun stores had it for $24.99 for a box of 50, did a double take when I saw that, they had a whole wall full of it so I stocked up on it. Ballistics seem ok so I put a bunch of it back just in case and I loaded my new Beretta up with it. I'll run a box of it thru it this weekend and see how she runs. Otherwise I pretty much stick to the HST rounds.

Federal HST's, Black Hills, Barnes Tac XPD, and Barnes Vor TX HP comprise my 9mm, 10mm, and .45acp ammo

I carry Spear Gold Dot 124 grain hollow point 9mm (not +p) in my Beretta, because when I was having failures to feed in my Beretta, that was the one bullet that would ALWAYS work. Now that I have fixed the FF problem, I still carry that same round, because I figure it gives me the best chance of avoiding a failure to feed when I need it most.

I carry Federal 9mm +p hollow point in my Ruger because "why not?"

I carry Spear Gold Dot 124 grain hollow point 9mm (not +p) in my Beretta, because when I was having failures to feed in my Beretta, that was the one bullet that would ALWAYS work. Now that I have fixed the FF problem, I still carry that same round, because I figure it gives me the best chance of avoiding a failure to feed when I need it most.

I carry Federal 9mm +p hollow point in my Ruger because "why not?"

Which is the way it should be. Regardless of gun or ammo brand it's important to find what works consistently and reliably in your gun and stick with that. Luckily for me HSTs work universally in all my carry guns. Although I have tested and carried Federal Punch in my 9MMs and Spear Gold Dot in my .40 Shield.

Right now in my 9mm I carry Barnes solid copper ammo - VORT-TX 115 grain TAC-XP's.

For the 10mm I carry 180 grain Sig Sauer Elite V-Crown JHP cartridges.

Back