testtest

What does Brown Bear Taste like?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
For those that want to travel to the great state of Alaska to harvest/or to be harvested by :unsure: a brown bear (a variant of the grizzly).

1668379575019.png

Depends a lot on the time of year and what they've been eating. Coastal bears that have been stuffing themselves on fish don't tend to taste all that great. Bears that have been feasting on huckleberries for weeks, slow-cooked in a Crock pot? Sublime. ;)

Last edited:
I’ll pass on eating bear meat, I tried a buffalo burger once; now I’ll admit it tasted good but within minutes it went right through me, literally.
I was at a friends house so yes I made it to the bathroom however……..
Not pleasant.

I hunted bear in the Northwest in the late 60's. I like bear meat but it depends upon what they have been eating. I will pass on bear who have been gorging on salmon. My oldest son killed brown and black bear when he lived in Alaska and my wife, who usually does not care for wild game, likes it. Bear are related to hogs and like pork are subject to trichinosis (roundworm). Bear like pork needs to be cooked to 165 degrees internal to be safe. Cold smoke or salt curing will not kill it. I think it is best smoked at 225 degrees for 10-12 hours so I don't worry about that. Commercial pork producers have pretty nearly eliminated roundworm in the US pork industry but you have to be especially aware of it and other infections like brucellosis in bear and wild hogs. Use care in cooking and bon apetit

Back