testtest

What Is The AR-15 Forward Assist And Why Do I Need It?

I won’t say nothing, I will behave, no meme…… 😬😬
Say it. Go ahead… i triple dog dare ya.
Triple dog dare huh….lol
IMG_1651.gif

"First, perform a press check or visual check that a round is chambered by pulling the charging handle back enough to open the bolt and have a look. (Make sure the rifle is pointed in a safe direction first, of course.) Unload by taking out the magazine and ejecting the round. Reload, and see if the issue repeats. If so, try moving the bolt by hand by pulling on it with a fingertip or moving it with your thumb."

While I never had the experience I would think this would be very inconvenient to attempt during a fire fight with enemy rounds flying by.

The best way to do a “press check” or more properly on a M16/4 or MP5 called a “chamber check” is not with the bolt it’s much simpler. They have double stack magazines. You should know if the top ground is on the left or right. After loading and working then bolt drop the mag and peek. If the opposite round is now on too you are good.

Nothing good happens from fiddling with your bolt both on your rifle or self!!!

The best way to do a “press check” or more properly on a M16/4 or MP5 called a “chamber check” is not with the bolt it’s much simpler. They have double stack magazines. You should know if the top ground is on the left or right. After loading and working then bolt drop the mag and peek. If the opposite round is now on too you are good.

Nothing good happens from fiddling with your bolt both on your rifle or self!!!
I think relying on realizing which side of the mag the round is on is dangerous enough. If the rifle is pointed in a safe direction it's a moot point.

If your bolt is closed and your charging handle pulls back with no resistance, there's a round in the chamber most likely. Doing a press check on an AR ( or anything really) isn't something I would do normally. If you're in a life or death situation and you want to know if the chamber is loaded, pull the charging handle.

I think relying on realizing which side of the mag the round is on is dangerous enough. If the rifle is pointed in a safe direction it's a moot point.

If your bolt is closed and your charging handle pulls back with no resistance, there's a round in the chamber most likely. Doing a press check on an AR ( or anything really) isn't something I would do normally. If you're in a life or death situation and you want to know if the chamber is loaded, pull the charging handle.
Agreed. Taking the time to check the magazine is not “easier” (my opinion)
When I owned and ran AR’s I could pretty much tell when it didn’t go into battery completely.

A lot of ABC organizations within the Government utilize what I mentioned. While I get your concern and with someone that is not a gun guy maybe but those types usually have issues with any kind of chamber check (let alone the other bad handling the same ones do why they should probably just have a 3” revolver for that nightstand but that’s a different topic)

Also if one doesn’t have the attention span it can not work.

My agency ran our chamber checks that way in long guns and it was also in the curriculum when I taught some classes for FLETC.

Not sure if it is necessary or not. I do not see trainers mentioning it during immediate action drills any longer.

Back in the day, those Vietnam vets would smack you in the back of the head if you missed that step performing SPORTS during immediate action.
Yup, good old SPORTS. Slap (up on the magazine), pull, observe, release, tap (the forward assist) and squeeze/shoot. And this was the immediate action drill way beyond VN era.
Not sure if it is necessary or not. I do not see trainers mentioning it during immediate action drills any longer.

Back in the day, those Vietnam vets would smack you in the back of the head if you missed that step performing SPORTS during immediate action.

FWIW, I’ve seen more than a few “pros” do it that way—check the round position in the mag.

Bear in mind, this is an administrative action, not doing a reload in a firefight.

I’ve also seen them do a chamber check.

It's a no harm no foul thing for me. I perfer that it's there especially since it's standard on most ARs. One could also simply manually push the bolt forward within a split second instead of using the forward assist.

Now because of this thread and because I have the yearning to pick up an Aero Precision M4E1 stripped upper w/o F/A for my next assembly just because I don't have an AR in that configuration yet.

1684097782217.png

It's a no harm no foul thing for me. I perfer that it's there especially since it's standard on most ARs. One could also simply manually push the bolt forward within a split second instead of using the forward assist.

Now because of this thread and because I have the yearning to pick up an Aero Precision M4E1 stripped upper w/o F/A for my next assembly just because I don't have an AR in that configuration yet.

View attachment 39538
I put together an Aero M4E1 without the FA in the FDE finish.

20220314_163209~2.jpg

Back