testtest

What Is the Best AR Caliber for Hunting?

Good article but they left out the .277 Wolverine. It is a .223/5.56
shortened and then necked out to .277. It uses 6.8/270 bullets from 90 to 105 grains. It is loaded commercially but is hard to find and most users handload. A lot of good information is available through https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/
for the .277 Wolverine as well as a host of other cartridges for the AR rifle. One plus for the Wolverine is that all you have to change on a .223/556 rifle is the barrel.

Good article but misses the AR-10/.308-sized platform. Or is that in Part Deux?
Which is funny and Ironic, as SA makes several great .308 platforms …that I use to hunt non stop !!

1629073326985.gif

Those AR-15-aized cartridges are OK for hunting in dense forest conditions back east or on the Pacific coast, or in specific dense dog-hair comditions in the Rockies, but for wide-open long-range Western hunting you have to bump up to the AR10-sized cartridge offerings, in most cases.

Coyotes, varmints, etc are all fine w 5.56. Small hogs as well, though I do prefer larger for all hogs
I don't hunt coyotes or varmints. If I don't eat it, I don't kill it. I don't have an issue with what other people kill legally. Except elephants and rhinos and giraffes and things like that. You kill an elephant for sport or money you're a ****head. Just my opinion.

I do not hunt for sport, but I am willing to clear hogs and coyotes off the family land. The coyotes only cause a few issues, but the hogs constantly destroy huge areas of vegetation. When traditional calibers started disappearing last year, or going for insane prices, I bought a couple 7.62x39mm uppers. I cannot speak to how it works on other animals, but 7.62x39 works well on varmints at an economical price.

I do not hunt for sport, but I am willing to clear hogs and coyotes off the family land. The coyotes only cause a few issues, but the hogs constantly destroy huge areas of vegetation. When traditional calibers started disappearing last year, or going for insane prices, I bought a couple 7.62x39mm uppers. I cannot speak to how it works on other animals, but 7.62x39 works well on varmints at an economical price.
I don’t have a problem with any legal animal harvesting or pest removal.

Age and infirmity put an end to my hunting. I do use 5.56 for pest removal and recently built a .300 AAC. It wouldn't have a problem if I decided to take a Mule raiding the garden.
While I still have "Olde Bessy"(in .300 Win Mag), a 1967 H&R Sako to reach out and touch someone.

I do find it interesting in how the AR platform has undergone some major experimentation in the last 30 years. Especially as a relative new Comer to the platform, only 12 to 13 years ago.

I thought the article was fine for me as I don't own a MSR and I don't hunt anymore. It's like an introductory thing, not necessarily going whole hog so to speak.
I've thought about doing a guided hog hunt in Texas from time to time. I think it would be great fun, maybe my last adventure. I like pork, too.

Back