testtest

What Is the Best AR Caliber for Hunting?

Hi everyone. I am looking for a second opinion. Does 223 Remington is good for deer hunting? The seller in a local gun shop recommended it.
If you are not 100% on the money with a perfect kill shot, that deer will be in the next county before it stops running.
As others stated, it can be done, but I highly not recommend it.
Use a larger cartridge

Here’s a good “general” guide.
7FCA23D0-9466-4B17-B135-DF621DD68895.jpeg

If you are not 100% on the money with a perfect kill shot, that deer will be in the next county before it stops running.
As others stated, it can be done, but I highly not recommend it.
Use a larger cartridge

Here’s a good “general” guide.View attachment 24239
You know, if you need to up your caliber to make up for a lack of marksmanship…

You should always be sure of your shot.

Hi everyone. I am looking for a second opinion. Does 223 Remington is good for deer hunting? The seller in a local gun shop recommended it.
SophusCa, with all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, if you must even ask that question then it is not a good round for deer hunting .... for you! That round is at, or very near the bottom of any list of adequate ammunition that would be "good for deer hunting". For one/anyone to assume they are capable of using this round for game the size of average deer is an almost guarantee of many wounded game lost to die a painful death over time.

Please consider the ethics involved here and find something a little more capable in average hands. And I would add that any seller in any LGS who would recommend it to anyone he doesn't personally know as capable lacks a certain amount of ethics as well.

No offense intended for nor to anyone here .............. just this one man's opinion based on lot's of experience and common sense. (y)(y)(y)

It's also illegal in most places to hunt deer with a .223.
Unfortunately where I'm from it's legal. The requirement here is no 'rim fire' cartridges for deer, any 'center fire' is considered legal.

I don't like it that the .223 is legal, I don't agree with it that the .223 is legal, and I certainly do discourage it at every opportunity.

One's 'ethical' choices are simply the things he does when he thinks no one is watching. (y)(y)(y)

The salesman Is "recommending" you a .223 because he wants to make a "sale" in my opinion. Some salesman don't take anything into consideration other than thier profit or commission! I've done business with some salesmen that would sell you there mother if they could!!! Is the .223 a capable or as you say "good" deer hunting cartridge? In my honest opinion. He*l No it's not! That's why Its illegal to use for deer hunting in a lot of states! Witch brings me back to "Bring Enough Gun"! Shoot fun shoot safe and shoot straight!

Back when I stopped hunting , here in Illinois , we were only allowed to use shotgun slugs , black powder rifle , or bow and arrow.

I killed quite a few Deer with 12 GA. rifled slug and never had a Deer move out of their tracks after being hit. A lot of hunters don't know Deer anatomy thus they don't know where to place their shot for best results.
Deer die easier than they live! They are not "hard to kill" at all! Especially if you "Bring Enough Gun"

Obviously the hunter. An ethical hunter has a responsibility to be proficient with his weapon so as to assure a quick, clean, humane kill. It's not the best analogy though because a 12 gauge slug has a much better chance of dropping a deer regardless of shot placement.

In an ideal world where all hunters are somehow magically required to be ethical, I completely agree with you. If you have the skill, you should be able to harvest deer with whatever you see fit. I mean we are allowed to use an atlatl during the "Alternative methods" portion of the season and I have serious doubt that many people are proficient with one of those. So I suppose really I should rethink my position on either that law or the law that allows people to use atlatls. Hell, bow hunting for that matter. I spent/spend a lot of time practicing with a bow so that I can be sure to make clean shots. A lot more time than it takes to get accurate with an AR and a red dot.

So I guess I see your point.
I've harvested an awful lot of deer over my years of hunting. I'm happy to say that at least 90% maybe more, were well placed shots that hammered the animal and dropped it hard and fast! I've also made some sloppy shots in my life! Anyone that tells you they haven't. Hasn't much hunting experiance! I can honestly say that out of all the sloppy shots I have made on the animals I harvested. Didn't make it far and were all recovered due to "Bringing Enough Gun" My primary deer rifle? 30-06 Springfield if I'm hunting around my property. If I'm hunting deer around more remote parts of the Island where Yogi and Smokie are much more abundant? .338WM for deer all day long! shoot fun shoot safe, and shoot straight!

I killed a deer with a .22 mag before. That doesn’t mean it’s right or ethical.
Did it drop quickly and cleanly? If not, YOU were unethical for taking the shot; not the caliber.

Explain exactly how a .223 is less powerful than a bow—or do you think bow hunting is unethical?

Back