testtest

What is the best Home Defense Weapon?

I own my house and don't have neighbors close enough for me to be overly worried about my stray bullet if I stick with a pistol. I did and have thought the target and beyond training and even did some testing with my ammo to see the penetration. The bullets would have to go through 4-6 walls and travel just over 575 yards and a couple maple trees to my nearest neighbor. I've thought about this maybe a little to much. I want my 45 acp to start with. Bedside gun. I then have access to my 9mm and a 44 mag. 44 mag is if I do have to shoot through a couple of walls. 9mm is my high capacity magazine so I don't have to do mag changes. All bullets are hollow points. I do think every situation is different and calls for different weapons.
Sounds like you have thought this out extensively. So the next question I have for you is what if family is home or over?

Oh absolutely but then the topic of if he survived your shot now he can and most likely will sue you. Provided he survived your shot that is.
Oh, here we go...the legal stuff. Ugh! In talking with an attorney a while back, he said that I need to be prepared to be sued regardless of how it turns out. It'll be the intruder/attacker or their family that'll sue in our sue happy society. Again, deter if you can before you're forced to do something costly in all respects.

Oh, here we go...the legal stuff. Ugh! In talking with an attorney a while back, he said that I need to be prepared to be sued regardless of how it turns out. It'll be the intruder/attacker or their family that'll sue in our sue happy society. Again, deter if you can before you're forced to do something costly in all respects.
You’ve definitely thought this through bud. I’m just trying to pick brains here lol

For several years I've kept a 12 ga. 870 with three birdshot shells followed by three buckshot shells with three slugs in my side saddle. I figured the first three would offset concerns of overpenetration, the next three would be heavier hitters if I am still firing, and the last three slugs were there for a reload if I really needed something heavy.

Okay so let’s say you have zero guns but have just enough money to buy one gun to defend your home. What gun are you buying and why?
:unsure:
Oh absolutely but then the topic of if he survived your shot now he can and most likely will sue you. Provided he survived your shot that is.
Ok as best I can answer I would approach this from a logical standpoint ... the money would be cut into 1/3’s ... 1/3 for the weapon... 1/3 for the ammo ... 1/3 for the training

I have to choose one? When my daughter was younger I went for a Glock 9mm, frangible ammo with a mounted light laser combo and night sights because I wanted to keep a hand free to push a family member out of the way or slam a door or open a window. Now weapons are staged, there are two shotguns with lights, loaded with birdshot, less penetration through the house and at room distances there is minimal spread so it still hits like buckshot or a slug. And a his and hers set of pistol AR-15s in .300 blackout, iron sights and suppressors. Plus a pellet gun for the most likely criminal that squirrel!!! And a half dozen worn out 1911s

I agree a shotgun, while certainly able to put an intruder our of business, is too difficult to maneuver in close quarters. I think a pistol is better, and for most folks, it is easier to find a place to practice with a pistol as opposed to a shotgun or rifle. A high capacity magazine is nice too. I hope I never have to defend my home, but if somebody gets past our dog (Belgian Malinois), I certainly will! :)

I have to choose one? When my daughter was younger I went for a Glock 9mm, frangible ammo with a mounted light laser combo and night sights because I wanted to keep a hand free to push a family member out of the way or slam a door or open a window. Now weapons are staged, there are two shotguns with lights, loaded with birdshot, less penetration through the house and at room distances there is minimal spread so it still hits like buckshot or a slug. And a his and hers set of pistol AR-15s in .300 blackout, iron sights and suppressors. Plus a pellet gun for the most likely criminal that squirrel!!! And a half dozen worn out 1911s
Can't trust them squirrels!

Not being humorous but logically it’s what you feel most comfortable with, train with and trust! Too much emphasis is placed on internet babble and what the numbers say as explain by some internet gun guru whose fired 10k rounds through his WOMD and trained millions of soldiers all over the world and been in countless black ops missions, blah blah blah ... moral of the story is get the most gun you can afford while at the same time getting as many rounds down range with said gun to gain the proficiency you need should you ever have to defend yourself or loved ones.
👍

I don't really like to get into the "best" weapon. Mission determines gear, training dictates what tactics will be effective and just as everyone has different budget/home/neighbor/kids equation, they have different levels of training. Realistically, there are so many scenarios and topics involved in this area that it could be its own subforum.

A few thoughts on different home situations that you should be thinking off though:

If you live in an urban area with a good PD and no kids, invest in a whatever gun you are comfortable with and reinforced bedroom door. Don't clear the house if you don't need too. Make a fatal funnel and park yourself at the end until PD responds.

If you have kids, but have a two story house, and everyone is upstairs at night, have a plan to control the stairwell until PD responds. A stairwell is a great choke and short of grenades or flash bangs there is no sure fire way to clear them.

Know and understand the ROE that your local PD uses. There have been several situations where homeowners are clearing their house only to be fired upon by PD in the street or in the yard that see someone in their home with gun and decided to shoot the homeowner that was no immediate threat to them.

Training to clear your house is important, especially if you live in the country or have a bad PD, but if you can avoid it, I would suggest that.

Also, stashing a gun in the bedroom is all well and good but a significant portion of home invasions happen while the family is gathered for the evening but not yet in bed. Do you answer the door with a gun? Do you have a weapons staged by the door in case of a knock knock style home invasion?

Lots of things to discuss inside this broad topic...

Okay the pellet gun has me rolling 🤣. We had a skunk on the back porch where the dog for is about a month ago and I was like crap I have nothing to hit him with. So I was inside the door with my 9mm carbine just waiting for the POS to stick his head through the dog door.

I don't really like to get into the "best" weapon. Mission determines gear, training dictates what tactics will be effective and just as everyone has different budget/home/neighbor/kids equation, they have different levels of training. Realistically, there are so many scenarios and topics involved in this area that it could be its own subforum.

A few thoughts on different home situations that you should be thinking off though:

If you live in an urban area with a good PD and no kids, invest in a whatever gun you are comfortable with and reinforced bedroom door. Don't clear the house if you don't need too. Make a fatal funnel and park yourself at the end until PD responds.

If you have kids, but have a two story house, and everyone is upstairs at night, have a plan to control the stairwell until PD responds. A stairwell is a great choke and short of grenades or flash bangs there is no sure fire way to clear them.

Know and understand the ROE that your local PD uses. There have been several situations where homeowners are clearing their house only to be fired upon by PD in the street or in the yard that see someone in their home with gun and decided to shoot the homeowner that was no immediate threat to them.

Training to clear your house is important, especially if you live in the country or have a bad PD, but if you can avoid it, I would suggest that.

Also, stashing a gun in the bedroom is all well and good but a significant portion of home invasions happen while the family is gathered for the evening but not yet in bed. Do you answer the door with a gun? Do you have a weapons staged by the door in case of a knock knock style home invasion?

Lots of things to discuss inside this broad topic...
Very very good points you made here. I intentionally left the topic as vague as I could to get discussions like this. Love the input keep it coming.

Back