testtest

What is the best Home Defense Weapon?

I think a surppressed strikerfired semi automatic pistol with with subsonic rounds, preferably hollow point or frangible.
A striker fired pistol would allow for mobility and reduce the possubility of snagging.
Subsonic rounds with a suppressor would minimize flash, sound, and over penetration.
A light and laser combo would also be ideal. Preferably a laser aligned with the bore. I wish manufacturers would do this more often. It seems like they do not take physics into consideration when they put them off center.

Would you be meaning a laser beam mounted directly beneath the barrel or over it? Or directly attached to the barrel with its power source on the hand guard? Just thinking about a solution.
I just mean how the laser is aligned in respect to the bore. There are many manufacturers that set them side by side. This inevitably means that the farther the shot the greater margin for error grows. One solution is a guide rod laser. Mounted close to the barrel and directly beneath giving a better representation of where a round will impact over a distance.

There is no real answer to that question other then to do more research and see what fit for you. So many things come into play with the answer. Where do you live? Country were the house next door is 2 miles down or in the city were you can reach out your window and touch the house next door. What you can shoot, and shoot well. Some people can't learn to rack a slide so a semi auto pistol is not a good idea. Not even thinking about what round is best. Read all you can about what they can and will do with walls and people. If you ask 10 people which is best you will get 10 different answers and none will really be wrong, but most will not be right for you

The BEST home defense weapon is....

The one that you have next to you when you need it!!

I carry a pistol pretty much everywhere and when at home.

The ONLY time I don't have a pistol on my belt is in the shower and when sleeping in bed, but it sits on my night stand.

Practice and be ready.

There is no real answer to that question other then to do more research and see what fit for you. So many things come into play with the answer. Where do you live? Country were the house next door is 2 miles down or in the city were you can reach out your window and touch the house next door. What you can shoot, and shoot well. Some people can't learn to rack a slide so a semi auto pistol is not a good idea. Not even thinking about what round is best. Read all you can about what they can and will do with walls and people. If you ask 10 people which is best you will get 10 different answers and none will really be wrong, but most will not be right for you
When is there a cookie-cutter answer to anything in life? One can not just become victim of their apathy and choose to discover what works best for themselves. Taking a blind approach to anything hardly ever works out well.
Most often the best answer is to find it yourself. Just being lazy and giving everyone a trophy doesn't get you anywhere, just more cluttered.

Okay so let’s say you have zero guns but have just enough money to buy one gun to defend your home. What gun are you buying and why?
I’d go pump action Shotgun especially if you live in an urban setting! Works, devastatingly well! Ammo can be bought pretty much everywhere! The recent church shooting in Texas shows how much power it delivers!

It's not a bad idea to not only practice with your home defense weapon at the range but to also practice clearing inside your house including all rooms and angles with whatever weapon you are contemplating using. You will get a much better idea for what works and what can be a hindrance. An example: I tried was using my tactical 12 gauge and finding out that coming around corners and entering rooms really put me at a disadvantage with using a long gun (18in barrel) where I could not just turn a corner and cover all angles without exposing myself.

Try it and see what I mean.
100% agree...I have done this exact exercise. It is an eye opener. It also made me realize that most of the distances in my home make a scatter gun not a scatter gun. Also, a lot of my cover forces me to use my non dominant hand to remain in cover. Try it it is worth it.

100% agree...I have done this exact exercise. It is an eye opener. It also made me realize that most of the distances in my home make a scatter gun not a scatter gun. Also, a lot of my cover forces me to use my non dominant hand to remain in cover. Try it it is worth it.
Also try opening a door in while keeping the area covered with a long gun it's pretty tough.

Last edited:
Hmm, excellent question and one that I've though about several times. I live alone and my exterior/interior walls are masonry, so I'm not that worried by over penetration (I suppose windows would be a concern). My plan doesn't entail me leaving the room. I have several weapons at my quick disposal which include Glock G19, S&W M&P 2.0 9, Glock G20 10mm, 300 BLK pistol loaded w/ subsonic rounds, Mossberg Shockwave 590M with green laser saddle (loaded with low recoil defensive 00 Buck), Remington Tac14 DM (same loads as 590M), and a CZ Scorpion EVO3 1 pistol w/brace and red dot scope (soon to be replaced with a CZ Scorpion EVO3 2 Micro w/brace & iron sights. Depending which side of the bed I'm on when awaken will depend on what weapon I'll take with me to cover (a back closet furthest away from door), with a cell phone. There's a window close by for an escape if required. My preferred weapon would be the 300 BLK pistol which has a red dot, w/laser and light on side rail. I also have hearing protection near by (and I plan on getting a suppressor for it). This is my chose as the longer barrel would provide greater accuracy especially looking through the red dot with my aging eyes and availability of laser & light usage.
In my scenario, I hear a noise and determine someone is in my house (since I live alone and no one else has a key, I'm fairly confident this is an intruder). I go to my cover place and take the weapons (if only one the 300 blk, although 590M shockwave is near the closet) that I can and then I call 911 and tell them an intruder is in my house, that I am armed and my location in the house. As I will do everything not to kill/injure anyone (TV, etc. isn't worth a human life), I'll call out that I've called police, they are on the way, that I am armed and they should leave. If someone comes barging through the locked door, and fearing for my life, I would fire center mass with 30 rounds plus spare mags that are near by.
If I determine there's more than One intruder, same weapon and cell phone and out the window calling 911 indicating multiple intruders, I'm outside (giving location) and what I'm wearing and that I am armed.
I'm thinking of installing a solid wooden door to replace the standard hollow door that most bedrooms have

Hmm, excellent question and one that I've though about several times. I live alone and my exterior/interior walls are masonry, so I'm not that worried by over penetration (I suppose windows would be a concern). My plan doesn't entail me leaving the room. I have several weapons at my quick disposal which include Glock G19, S&W M&P 2.0 9, Glock G20 10mm, 300 BLK pistol loaded w/ subsonic rounds, Mossberg Shockwave 590M with green laser saddle (loaded with low recoil defensive 00 Buck), Remington Tac14 DM (same loads as 590M), and a CZ Scorpion EVO3 1 pistol w/brace and red dot scope (soon to be replaced with a CZ Scorpion EVO3 2 Micro w/brace & iron sights. Depending which side of the bed I'm on when awaken will depend on what weapon I'll take with me to cover (a back closet furthest away from door), with a cell phone. There's a window close by for an escape if required. My preferred weapon would be the 300 BLK pistol which has a red dot, w/laser and light on side rail. I also have hearing protection near by (and I plan on getting a suppressor for it). This is my chose as the longer barrel would provide greater accuracy especially looking through the red dot with my aging eyes and availability of laser & light usage.
In my scenario, I hear a noise and determine someone is in my house (since I live alone and no one else has a key, I'm fairly confident this is an intruder). I go to my cover place and take the weapons (if only one the 300 blk, although 590M shockwave is near the closet) that I can and then I call 911 and tell them an intruder is in my house, that I am armed and my location in the house. As I will do everything not to kill/injure anyone (TV, etc. isn't worth a human life), I'll call out that I've called police, they are on the way, that I am armed and they should leave. If someone comes barging through the locked door, and fearing for my life, I would fire center mass with 30 rounds plus spare mags that are near by.
If I determine there's more than One intruder, same weapon and cell phone and out the window calling 911 indicating multiple intruders, I'm outside (giving location) and what I'm wearing and that I am armed.
I'm thinking of installing a solid wooden door to replace the standard hollow door that most bedrooms have
Almost sounds if your speaking from experience and practice here sir

I had the chance to take a carbine course at Gunsite a few years back and I was amazed how tough it was to go through a "house" with a long gun. I was thinking that a rifle would beat . a handgun anytime, but I learned real fast how much I wanted to sling that rifle and go to a handgun (but couldn't because it was a class on rifles). Very eye-opening....

Almost sounds if your speaking from experience and practice here sir
No, not really KLGunner. I just read a lot and watch numerous videos on the subject. I'm an Elite member of USCCA which provides videos on what if scenarios. Gun Talk's "First Person Defenders" series and Rob Pinkus "Personal Defense Network" (which I bought several DVDs from when I first started getting into guns and gun carrying), also had what if scenarios such as potential conflicts out in public, clearing a house, best thing to do if you were alone and can find cover while calling 911, etc. They all drilled in the message of finding cover, if you could escape then do so, and only use deadly force when your life is in immediate danger. So I try to come up with scenarios in my house of an intruder or invasion and apply the principles that I learned if at all possible. I appreciate your "Like" and comment on believing I acted appropriately in such a scenario that I documented here. :)

No, not really KLGunner. I just read a lot and watch numerous videos on the subject. I'm an Elite member of USCCA which provides videos on what if scenarios. Gun Talk's "First Person Defenders" series and Rob Pinkus "Personal Defense Network" (which I bought several DVDs from when I first started getting into guns and gun carrying), also had what if scenarios such as potential conflicts out in public, clearing a house, best thing to do if you were alone and can find cover while calling 911, etc. They all drilled in the message of finding cover, if you could escape then do so, and only use deadly force when your life is in immediate danger. So I try to come up with scenarios in my house of an intruder or invasion and apply the principles that I learned if at all possible. I appreciate your "Like" and comment on believing I acted appropriately in such a scenario that I documented here. :)
Fellow Elite member nice to meet you good sir.

Back