testtest

What knives do you daily carry?

Follow up from my earlier post, received my shiny new Sandrin Knives Dellatorre in the mail yesterday...

Sandrin Dellatorre 2.jpg
Sandrin Dellatorre 1.jpg

New EDC knife I'm thinking :cool:

I carry a ZT 0301. Of all the knives I have carried in the past I have not been happier than I have been using the 0301. I have had it for a long time. Unfortunately, I do not think they sell this model anymore. The grip is very comfortable. Holds an edge that is good for tough everyday use. Action is smooth and spring assisted. Weight is balanced and feels correct. Really makes you appreciate a high quality work knife.

I was online looking for ammo today, and found some Federal 22LR, so ord'd some, but it was an "Add-on" item and had to have at least $25 of other item(s) included in the order. So...looked at folding knives, and I like the CRKT brand for the pure utility/edc of them. Ended-up ordering a RASP, a PILAR, & another SQUID (have 1 in black now, ord'd the matte silver/gray).
View attachment 5926
View attachment 5927
View attachment 5928
FedEx del'vd the pkg yesterday with the 3 CRKT knives above that I recently ord'd. The Pilar and Squid are smallish pieces and are still boxed, but have been messing with the RASP today. A decent-sized knife, and immediately comfortable in the hand.
This is my first flipper action knife, and find a slight initial resistance to actuate it, but am attributing that to muscle-memory practice. Blade is super sharp right out of the box, but ran it across a hand-held sharpener for the heck of it. Knife retails for $99+change, and I got it for roughly $65. I would not have bought it for full price, but the sale was appealing. Have seen it on various sites today for $60 - $65.
20200519_003842.jpg

20200519_004140.jpg

20200519_004123.jpg

20200519_003921.jpg

Last edited:
None. I've never carried a knife on my person except when big game hunting. Then it says in a sheath on my belt. I've lived a long time without necessity for a knife on my person. I can live the rest of my life without carrying one.

I own Solingen steel outdoorsman knives. However, I've gone almost completely Havalon: https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/l...fe-you-need-skinning-and-quartering-big-game/ My recommendation Is to bring a metal container suitable for dulled Havalon blades. A heavy knife still has field dressing utility when necessary for deep cutting required for quartering big game.

I carry a filet knife inside of my tackle box. I never carry it on me. I can't remember that last time I've used it. We're catch 'n' release unless a fish will not survive. In very rare times I clean fish, I do so with absolutely no distraction.

A knife wound could become fatal, not merely by destroying a vital organ. An infection (sepsis, staph, etc) from a knife wound can be just as fatal.

Pepper spray is far better than a knife for self-defense. The most proficient knife attacker can't cut what he can't see.

Knife blades accumulate plethora bacteria. If you're gonna carry a blade, have access to lots of hydrogen peroxide, Neosporin, gauze, and tape. Whiskey is still good as a disinfecting agent. If you were to cut yourself, cleanse and bandage all wounds ASAP. Loosen and inspect wounds periodically for indicators of infection. If indicators of infection are present, hightail it to a hospital. If you're 30 miles from the nearest hospital and sever an artery, get your final affairs in order. You might have a few minutes of consciousness remaining.

Years ago, I watched a TV segment that profiled a woman (I doubt that she was 30 years old) who had cut herself shaving her legs. She blew off the cut as just another nick from a blade she should have discarded after its previous use. Very sad and tragic: from that otherwise insignificant cut, she contracted necrotizing fasciitis. She was dead inside of 2 days.

In terms of self-defense, a knife is deadly force. If I were worried about deadly force, I'll carry my EMP 3 9MM in urban environments and a TRP .45 ACP where mean critters roam. There's a reason cops are taught to shoot suspects armed with knives.

If you're gonna carry a blade, I'd recommend watching "Surviving Edged Weapons"

One last point: I completely get it for professionals who use knives many times daily as tools of their profession. For those professionals, please indulge me a caution: allow no distractions when using your knives to perform tasks of your professions.

Back