testtest

What would you recommend to a non-gun person for concealed carry?

I got lots of suggestions depending on situation and lifestyle.

If the person wanted a micro carry, I love my little Springfield 911 in 380. It’s tiny though. Extended mag helps. Small enough it can easily be slipped in a pocket holster.

Semi-auto carry I’d track down an XDE 9. It’s been discontinued so they are harder to find but they are out there. Officer size (not a micro) 1911 in 9mm would be a second choice.

I would not recommend the S&W 380 EZ. I’ve yet to see a 100% reliable one and I’ve had 3. Notorious for stovepiping live rounds. The 9mm EZ I evaluated worked fine.

Revolver carry I’d recommend the Taurus 856 defender 3”. Very comfortable and easy to shoot. Compact but the all stainless frame mitigates the recoil well. Air weights on the other hand are not pleasant to shoot.

A .22 is a decent option for a non gun person I believe. Handguns are loud, and bright in dim light and a non shooter is less likely to shoot enough to get comfortable with a loud dazzling muzzle flash keeping them from practicing much.

If a second shot is needed, a likely event in most cases, this fladh and noise could be a real hindrance to effectiveness.

A .22 revolver might help encourage further interest in shooting and moving up. It seems a good way to set them up for further sucess.

I got lots of suggestions depending on situation and lifestyle.

If the person wanted a micro carry, I love my little Springfield 911 in 380. It’s tiny though. Extended mag helps. Small enough it can easily be slipped in a pocket holster.

Semi-auto carry I’d track down an XDE 9. It’s been discontinued so they are harder to find but they are out there. Officer size (not a micro) 1911 in 9mm would be a second choice.

I would not recommend the S&W 380 EZ. I’ve yet to see a 100% reliable one and I’ve had 3. Notorious for stovepiping live rounds. The 9mm EZ I evaluated worked fine.

Revolver carry I’d recommend the Taurus 856 defender 3”. Very comfortable and easy to shoot. Compact but the all stainless frame mitigates the recoil well. Air weights on the other hand are not pleasant to shoot.
I have one ( or should I say I bought my dad one) that has been 100% reliable for over 2000 rounds now. It’s an early one too.

I have one ( or should I say I bought my dad one) that has been 100% reliable for over 2000 rounds now. It’s an early one too.
All I can say is it’s rare. I’ve still never seen one reliable, ever.

The first one I bought my wife I finally found 1 single magazine it would function with and that was after well over 500 rounds. It lasted through a review and was sold. The guy who has it still has issues. Both replacements stove pipe every second or third mag. So does my brothers. Have two friends that also have them. Same issues. These were bought over 3 years time.

Last edited:
Have heard that reliability with the SA 911 platform can be hit and miss. Likewise with Kimber, and must admit that my Kimber Micro 9 is one of the “less than reliable” ones and that is why I did some research and finally settled on the SA Ronin EMP 3”. It now has over 1250 rounds through with no issues. However, probably not what I would recommend to a first time non-gun person.

Have heard that reliability with the SA 911 platform can be hit and miss. Likewise with Kimber, and must admit that my Kimber Micro 9 is one of the “less than reliable” ones and that is why I did some research and finally settled on the SA Ronin EMP 3”. It now has over 1250 rounds through with no issues. However, probably not what I would recommend to a first time non-gun person.
It’s the magazines in the 380ez. They’ve never fixed it. You call S&W and tell them you have stovepipe issues and they’ll send you springs. Never fixed my problem.

It’s the magazines in the 380ez. They’ve never fixed it. You call S&W and tell them you have stovepipe issues and they’ll send you springs. Never fixed my problem.
It’s also more often that not the same with the Kimber, although the mag release is also a culprit. Have replaced both the mags and the release, and just when I think I’m on a good run and almost there, the extractor starts to act up. Pain in the ass and too much high maintenance for me at this point in my life.

The first one I bought my wife I finally found 1 single magazine it would function with and that was after well over 500 rounds. It lasted through a review and was sold. The guy who has it still has issues. Both replacements stove pipe every second or third mag. So does my brothers. Have two friends that also have them. Same issues. These were bought over 3 years time.
The problem is the RSA. Nature of the beast when your goal is to make it easy to cycle the slide. And it’s a widespread issue with these guns. All I know is I bought 5 mags with mine and so far it has never failed to feed or eject. Got lucky.

That said, the old man doesn’t carry or even go anywhere so if he ever needed to use a gun defensively it would most likely be his 12 gauge BPS.

S&W M&P 380. Me and mom have them. Love them,
180023-mp-OnWhite-Left.png

It’s also more often that not the same with the Kimber, although the mag release is also a culprit. Have replaced both the mags and the release, and just when I think I’m on a good run and almost there, the extractor starts to act up. Pain in the ass and too much high maintenance for me at this point in my life.
I am not a fan of Kimber micros. The few people I know that I’ve met that have them, regret it (albeit all are women). Two are women who thought they were cute until they fired them. One guy in the local farm store was hanging around the counter trying to sell the one he bought his wife. Out $700 on a gun his wife hated. There’s a reason I specified the Officer model (not a micro).

I have a friend in Chicago that asked me about them, although, he had already made up his mind and ignored me. His wife liked the color so he was going to buy the light weight 9mm micro anyway. Have not heard about it since. That was maybe two weeks ago 🤷🏻‍♂️.
The problem is the RSA. Nature of the beast when your goal is to make it easy to cycle the slide. And it’s a widespread issue with these guns. All I know is I bought 5 mags with mine and so far it has never failed to feed or eject. Got lucky.

That said, the old man doesn’t carry or even go anywhere so if he ever needed to use a gun defensively it would most likely be his 12 gauge BPS.

It’s the mags. It’s always the last round in the mag that stovepipes. I agree that the light slide return doesn’t help. All of the ones I have first hand knowledge of are the same.

Coincidentally, the only mag I was able to get to be reliable didn’t come with the guns (or support either). I had to buy it separate because I couldn’t get S&W’s cheap ass to either replace them or look at the original. I once emailed support after the replacement springs failed to fix the issue. Emailed them because I couldn’t get someone on the phone. There was never a response, nor to the follow up. Two more mag springs showed up in my mailbox. No note, never did get a response. That’s when I gave up on S&W. I just lived with the other two knowing it’ll always be there. I’m not spending $30 a pop buying magazines until I find ones that works.

Back to the Kimber Micro 9 and mags issues . . . It is almost as though Kimber is tacitly admitting an issue with their mags by releasing a 7-round TacMag (as they call it) for the princely sum of over $50! 💸
So happy I didn't buy the TacMag, because I've read some reports that even that mag has some issues! Others were even saying to ditch the Kimber mags altogether and modify a Sig P938 mag instead.🤷‍♂️
When the gun was reliable, I did enjoy shooting it and was very accurate with it, even out to 15 yards and sometimes beyond on a good shooting day. May revisit one day, but for now I'm enjoying the SA Ronin EMP3. (y)

non-gun person​

I have taught several totally non-gun ladies how to basically shoot and handle revolvers so I will always revert to my old ways and recommend a .38 special with semi-wadcutters. Soft report and recoil, fun at the range, non-intimidating and pretty safe for a newbie to learn with. The K frames aren't good for concealed carry but neither are non-gun personnel.
At least she he or they can defend the homestead without shooting each other or themselves.
IMO. I view all semi autos as advanced or at least intermediate arms.

One thing to consider is that their first firearm will become their favorite and the standard they measure everything else against. For me it was a Makarov 9mm. It's super old school by todays standards but believe it or not its my favorite to shoot. Flaws and all.

I suggest a 3.5+ barrel and composite. (my Mak in the winter is COLD to wear)

All nice choices, and I would even throw in an XDS, although my 45 cal might be a bit much for some.

But, for a light, small, thin (and easy to conceal) handgun, might I add Walther PPS in 9mm. Love the crap out of mine. In a Sticky holster, you would really have to look to see it. Racks easy, shoots smooth and is very accurate. I ring little knock down steel bunnies at the range at 25 yards without effort.

I think if I was pressured to recommend a specific handgun for a new shooter it would be a 9 mm M&P Shield. Preferably a first-generation model.

1. It's a relatively inexpensive handgun. At least it was before Coronageddon.

2. It's small enough to conceal easily and people who are not committed to concealed carry will still carry it.

3. It's an easy gun to shoot well.

4. Nine rounds is adequate to most self defense needs.

5. They won't be too butt hurt when they eventually move on to something else.

I think I told this story before but the senior pastor at my church approached me one morning and asked for my advice on what kind of handgun he should get for concealed carry.

I didn't even actually suggest a gun I just told him that I carried an M&P 9 and without any further examination of the gun he said that's too big. That's too much to carry. Somebody told me later that he ended up with a Glock 42 and they weren't even sure that he carried that ever.

Now if somebody asks me I just recommend the Shield and list the reasons I mentioned above except for the part about people not being committed.

ETA I probably wouldn't make the butt hurt comment either

I’m going to recommend a shooter test fire their top 5 choices and buy what works best for their fit and accruacy.

Until you get a gun in your hand, whether its from the most sought after gun list in history, it wont matter.

Buy what you handle the best.

I’ve test so many “wish list” guns to walk away and never look back based on my personal fit.

Even a canik or glock may be the best fit for that individual.

Houses or spouses. Dont listen to the pack. Go with what works for YOU !!!

I’m going to recommend a shooter test fire their top 5 choices and buy what works best for their fit and accruacy.

Until you get a gun in your hand, whether its from the most sought after gun list in history, it wont matter.

Buy what you handle the best.

I’ve test so many “wish list” guns to walk away and never look back based on my personal fit.

Even a canik or glock may be the best fit for that individual.

Houses or spouses. Dont listen to the pack. Go with what works for YOU !!!
Absolutely!! Couldn't agree more.
I have a neighbor that ran out and bought a cheap Taurus. He now hates it after shooting some of my handguns.

The best advice is to find someone that has a variety of guns you think you might like and talk them into taking you out to shoot them. It helps if you bring some of your own ammo ;) . Just sayin...

That way you may actually discover the one you thought you would REALLY like to own, just isn't what you thought it would be.

I left this on the S&W forum last night concerning the 380 EZ. Thought you’d find it interesting.

——-
I have ragged on this pistol for quite some time. I know of 6, 3 were mine that would not run reliably. Bought one in 2019, 2020 and 2021. I just bought another earlier this week and picked it up today. I believe it was a great idea, just executed poorly.

DE9FB163-0F67-4C4D-A329-373EBE076588.jpeg

I’ll first caveat this with, I have no factory ammo on hand to test this gun. What I used was ammo from the last reloading run I did a couple months ago, still sitting in the bin on the press. All I recall is that the bullets are Armscor. That said, this isn’t a review per say.

I pulled it out of the box and ran a basic function test on it. I didn’t bother cleaning or oiling it. At this point, I felt this gun had better impress me.

Long story short, it impressed me. I loaded both mags in a dry gun (not completely dry but not real wet either). First thing I noticed was the helper on the mag was stiff as hell. That is very different from the previous mags. All 7 of the previous mags I had were pretty easy to load with the helper. I had to readjust my thumb a couple times because the helper was digging into my thumb.

Shooting… I pulled no babying crap. I unloaded those two mags as fast as I could pull the trigger. When the first one locked back, I expected to see a jammed round partially chambered. What Isaw was a clean lock back on an empty mag. Not gonna lie, that made me smile a little…

I loaded up the second one and dumped it just like the first. When the slide locked back, I again expected a last round jam. Nope, another clean lock back on and empty mag.

Well, crap, now I get to eat some crow… Kudos to whoever fixed the magazine issue. I noticed it on first load. I’ve only run two mags because, well, it’s 2am. I am pleasantly surprised it ran straight out of the box, uncleaned, unoiled and under rapid fire like it did.
——-

I think it’s time to order a couple mags and see how they work in the one in the vault.

Back