testtest

What’s your Favorite Reloading Press?

For all you Dillon fans, I HIGHLY recommend this book. Friend of mine on the Ruger forum sent me a copy, and I couldn't put it down. He tells how and why he invented the Dillon presses, and, later, pretty much completely re-invented the M134 Minigun. That stuff alone is worth the price of admission, but this book also has SO much more. For example, the story of his camping trip with his daughter reminded me so much of the late, great Skeeter Skelton's writings I couldn't believe it. One of the best books I've ever read on ANY subject, fiction or nonfiction.

Sounds like a good read, I'll be checking it out. And while on the topic of "Dillon", there's something I've always wanted to ask but never had the real opportunity to ask a crowd this large about this issue. This might even include any other brands that you consider the best for you. But again, please base your discussion on the ROI of whatever you consider the right one, regardless of cost. My primary interest is in the Dillons based against others.

I've already commented how the Dillon stuff is generally considered some of the best, it's also some of the most expensive. I've also heard it said in some conversations how the Dillon specifically is 'over engineered'. I've never used one enough to even have an opinion on that, but it does 'look' overly complicated in some of the mechanics of it, but again that's very subjective on my part.

So my question is purely based on economics. I'm not even considering all the debates on any other attributes between any/all other brands. Purely the original cost vs time to recover it if that was your original goal. Quality is solely a subjective comparison due the many varied factors playing into it so I really would prefer to not get into the weeds about which one loads the best, or most accurate, or any other criteria. I can honestly say I've never really felt much differences in ease of use between any of those I've used as far as ergonomics, with exception of maybe one or the other might have the feel of a little less friction in the action. And one or two brands might offer an accessory or two that the others don't. I'm talking about the base line equipment to do reloading. They all can be a real pleasure to sit down with and load a relaxing couple hundred rounds on a quiet afternoon.

Do all you Dillon users accept that you've gotten your money's worth in pay back of your reloading? I've never done any actual cost analysis, but often thought that the cost to get all set up with the Dillon products would basically take so long to recoup that the start-up cost would be prohibited, at least at my economic level. I've never been convinced the Dillon machines actually offer anything that other brands don't, and the finished ammo is no more/no less quality than many others. They all produce quality ammo when the equipment (whatever brand) is properly understood and set-up. In all honesty, the "PraziPress" might could be shown to produce something a little less measurable than some others, but we're not talking about presses in that cost range here.

So, think about it and talk about why you originally decided on the Dillon (or whatever other brand). And please remember I'm not knocking any other brand than what I use and prefer, I'm just curious. Thnx, jj

Sounds like a good read, I'll be checking it out. And while on the topic of "Dillon", there's something I've always wanted to ask but never had the real opportunity to ask a crowd this large about this issue. This might even include any other brands that you consider the best for you. But again, please base your discussion on the ROI of whatever you consider the right one, regardless of cost. My primary interest is in the Dillons based against others.

I've already commented how the Dillon stuff is generally considered some of the best, it's also some of the most expensive. I've also heard it said in some conversations how the Dillon specifically is 'over engineered'. I've never used one enough to even have an opinion on that, but it does 'look' overly complicated in some of the mechanics of it, but again that's very subjective on my part.

So my question is purely based on economics. I'm not even considering all the debates on any other attributes between any/all other brands. Purely the original cost vs time to recover it if that was your original goal. Quality is solely a subjective comparison due the many varied factors playing into it so I really would prefer to not get into the weeds about which one loads the best, or most accurate, or any other criteria. I can honestly say I've never really felt much differences in ease of use between any of those I've used as far as ergonomics, with exception of maybe one or the other might have the feel of a little less friction in the action. And one or two brands might offer an accessory or two that the others don't. I'm talking about the base line equipment to do reloading. They all can be a real pleasure to sit down with and load a relaxing couple hundred rounds on a quiet afternoon.

Do all you Dillon users accept that you've gotten your money's worth in pay back of your reloading? I've never done any actual cost analysis, but often thought that the cost to get all set up with the Dillon products would basically take so long to recoup that the start-up cost would be prohibited, at least at my economic level. I've never been convinced the Dillon machines actually offer anything that other brands don't, and the finished ammo is no more/no less quality than many others. They all produce quality ammo when the equipment (whatever brand) is properly understood and set-up. In all honesty, the "PraziPress" might could be shown to produce something a little less measurable than some others, but we're not talking about presses in that cost range here.

So, think about it and talk about why you originally decided on the Dillon (or whatever other brand). And please remember I'm not knocking any other brand than what I use and prefer, I'm just curious. Thnx, jj
jj, i do not and will not use any "cost analysis" in my reloading of my ammo. i am a sole owner, and sole shooter of my reloads. i buy components in bulk like many others do.

that, and the mom/pop gun store/reloader owner told, me, "you'll go whacky trying to beat the costs of reloading your own ammo, just don't do it".

i also bought an entire reloading room, Dillon 550c NIB, just no dies, for the price i paid...
and that also included over $225? worth of spent brass casings, that i took to the salvage yard, and that brought the price down by that much more. which helped me in buying all the dies (all were on sale at MidwayUSA) for all the calibers i shoot, and extra calibers. then i bought extra tool heads for those dies, later i bought 3 more powder hoppers..

is it complicated in setting it up..??

for me, a 1st time reloader?? ...hell yeah.

i had to keep climbing up 2 flights of stairs, watch a video, go back down, and try over and over again.

i had no one to come to my house and help me set up ANYTHING..it was all "self taught"

i do believe my mechanics background was a help too.

even my Lee Pro 4000 was a biotch to set up, again, those 2 flights of stairs.....

for me, i think i could handle a 750 set up, maybe even a 1050...but i don't need those, i'd rather have another 550c someday. as i am not into "high production"..as it is now, many days i just don't feel like doing anything, not even shooting, let alone reloading..so why pay more for the bigger presses???

i'd rather spend the money on swaging items, bullet pulling items, and other smaller odds & ends.

the only thing i did for "ergonomics", was to buy Dillons "roller handle", as it's much more comfortable than the original "round ball" handle.

the Dillon, i believe no matter the sheer size, is a stoutly built press, and buddy, believe me, there are even HIGHER priced presses out there, like one for at least $10,000..???? (it's all black)

in the end..."did i get my money's worth"..??

well, i was in the right place, at the right time, to scoop up an entire reloading room complete with a NIB 550c.........for a mere $525........(after i sold that brass)

Appreciate the comeback friend. And yes, yours was a special kind of entry into the reloading world cost wise. It wouldn't necessarily apply to my question unless you could consider the real world cost of what you've got rather than what you actually paid due to the good deal you got.

I don't know but I'm hoping a few can offer some light on my question objectively. Who knows, I might have gone the Dillon route had I been able to economically ... after all blue is my all-time favorite color. But being a very young man just starting a career and family, setting up a household, etc, I just never could justify the original cost of some machines available at the time. Don't even remember if Dillon was around in the late 70's or early 80's. Anybody know? For me it was about all I could do to start out the way I did at the cost point that I did.

As for the learning curve, I'm going to guess they're all pretty equal in the learning curve if one is a total newbie to reloading. I've said my first foray into it was with a simple hand loader, so by the time I graduated to something bigger, better, and faster, I did have a little background and experience in the craft.

Even at that, my first consideration was always the cost. It's been so long ago when I started, I honestly don't remember if I even considered any other factors other than I wanted to do it and had to start out as inexpensively as possible. In later years as I was loading many thousands more than originally, I just never saw any reason to go another direction. jj

Having just read the Dillon book, I am VERY impressed with their whole philosophy and way of doing bidness. If I were buying anything again now, I would definitely be looking hard at them, regardless of price.

That said, I was always VERY happy with my Lee Progressive 1000 (see my post #30 above). Didn't take me that long to get it set up and running smoothly and gave me very few problems over the tens of thousands of rounds I loaded on it. The one time I had a question, I called the factory and ended up speaking with Mr. Lee himself, which impressed me. They're also a first-class operation IMHO.

Do all you Dillon users accept that you've gotten your money's worth in pay back of your reloading?
Absolutely 100%!!
I'm a Dillon fan through and through, I've never once contemplated getting another press. Every interaction with anyone at Dillon was 100% favorable. I've ran I do not know how many thousands of cartridges through my RL550b press and it just keeps giving me pleasure. The only thing I don't have with Dillon's name on it is my vibrator case cleaner. The one I bought from Midway decades ago keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny, should it shoot craps out comes the credit card for a new one from Dillon.

Absolutely 100%!!
I'm a Dillon fan through and through, I've never once contemplated getting another press. Every interaction with anyone at Dillon was 100% favorable. I've ran I do not know how many thousands of cartridges through my RL550b press and it just keeps giving me pleasure. The only thing I don't have with Dillon's name on it is my vibrator case cleaner. The one I bought from Midway decades ago keeps going and going like the Energizer bunny, should it shoot craps out comes the credit card for a new one from Dillon.
Definitely agree with you. I was an avid competitor for many years. I don't know how many rounds I loaded on my XL650, multiple thousands for sure. Like I said in an earlier reply replaced minor parts and Dillon always shipped them very quick. If I should ever need another progressive press it would be made by Dillon.

Appreciate the comeback friend. And yes, yours was a special kind of entry into the reloading world cost wise. It wouldn't necessarily apply to my question unless you could consider the real world cost of what you've got rather than what you actually paid due to the good deal you got.

I don't know but I'm hoping a few can offer some light on my question objectively. Who knows, I might have gone the Dillon route had I been able to economically ... after all blue is my all-time favorite color. But being a very young man just starting a career and family, setting up a household, etc, I just never could justify the original cost of some machines available at the time. Don't even remember if Dillon was around in the late 70's or early 80's. Anybody know? For me it was about all I could do to start out the way I did at the cost point that I did.

As for the learning curve, I'm going to guess they're all pretty equal in the learning curve if one is a total newbie to reloading. I've said my first foray into it was with a simple hand loader, so by the time I graduated to something bigger, better, and faster, I did have a little background and experience in the craft.

Even at that, my first consideration was always the cost. It's been so long ago when I started, I honestly don't remember if I even considered any other factors other than I wanted to do it and had to start out as inexpensively as possible. In later years as I was loading many thousands more than originally, I just never saw any reason to go another direction. jj
jj, even you should know and understand, the costs involved with buying and accessorizing any press, let alone a Dillon..i have only just over 1 year into this, and all i keep hearing after i buy a box of primers, or a jug of powder..??

"wow, i remember when those things cost me far less, than today"...blah, blah, blah

those prices will NEVER get that low again, unless it's a special get to the LGS door for that huge 1 day only sale..

maybe some here have it down to the 1/8th of a penny on costs to investment ratios, good for them, but unless one is reloading 10's of thousands of rounds, who really cares the cost factor?

here's the way i went into it....buy what i want now, with the accessories i wanted...then when i SELL OFF all this stuff (some day), i should get "close to" my investment into what i have, as those prices in the future are only going to increase. (as i have nearly all the pistol calibers now).

i'm looking at my future take, not my daily return on my investment.

why go whacky doing that sort of cost analysis..on the daily production..???

unless you have a full blown factory, is it really worth counting those pennies..???

think about your future and what you'll get back when you sell.......cuz sooner or later, we all die, and in my case, no one in my family wants my stuff, just the cash it brings in....

I broke even quicker doing .44 magnum and .45 Colt. That stuff is expensive at the retail store. I've replaced some pieces from time to time, but my 650 is doing just fine.

jj, even you should know and understand, the costs involved with buying and accessorizing any press, let alone a Dillon..i have only just over 1 year into this, and all i keep hearing after i buy a box of primers, or a jug of powder..??

"wow, i remember when those things cost me far less, than today"...blah, blah, blah

those prices will NEVER get that low again, unless it's a special get to the LGS door for that huge 1 day only sale..

maybe some here have it down to the 1/8th of a penny on costs to investment ratios, good for them, but unless one is reloading 10's of thousands of rounds, who really cares the cost factor?

here's the way i went into it....buy what i want now, with the accessories i wanted...then when i SELL OFF all this stuff (some day), i should get "close to" my investment into what i have, as those prices in the future are only going to increase. (as i have nearly all the pistol calibers now).

i'm looking at my future take, not my daily return on my investment.

why go whacky doing that sort of cost analysis..on the daily production..???

unless you have a full blown factory, is it really worth counting those pennies..???

think about your future and what you'll get back when you sell.......cuz sooner or later, we all die, and in my case, no one in my family wants my stuff, just the cash it brings in....
HaHa, I've got that final time already figured out. I'm just going to convert everything I own to traveler's checks and take it all with me! ;) Now seriously ...........................

Maybe I asked the wrong question, or asked the question the wrong way. I wasn't looking for an exact money figure. I was just curious whether those who paid a lot for their equipment feels their return was reasonable for what they paid, in time and money saved, as compared to some others who maybe made the choice of lesser expensive equipment and ended up with the same result ... reloaded ammo.

My whole point was just that all the different brands do the same thing ... reload ammo. Some a little faster maybe, some work a little smoother maybe, and some may have a little more comfortable ergonomics, but do those things make the higher priced units worth their extra cost?

Obviously one's economic circumstance has a lot to do with their decision on the price point they would pay, mine was pretty thin in those days. Much like those who can afford a Corvette vs those who might like one, but can only afford a Chevette. They both do the same thing, move you around from one place to another. Is the sportier Corvette worth the extra cost?

Well, this is surely getting to far into the weeds, so I'll just simply ask those who reload, if you had anything to do over again, would you go the same route, or would you maybe consider a more expensive set-up, or a more inexpensive set-up? Actually I should have just set up a poll I guess. Didn't mean to get into all this. Sorry. jj

HaHa, I've got that final time already figured out. I'm just going to convert everything I own to traveler's checks and take it all with me! ;) Now seriously ...........................

Maybe I asked the wrong question, or asked the question the wrong way. I wasn't looking for an exact money figure. I was just curious whether those who paid a lot for their equipment feels their return was reasonable for what they paid, in time and money saved, as compared to some others who maybe made the choice of lesser expensive equipment and ended up with the same result ... reloaded ammo.

My whole point was just that all the different brands do the same thing ... reload ammo. Some a little faster maybe, some work a little smoother maybe, and some may have a little more comfortable ergonomics, but do those things make the higher priced units worth their extra cost?

Obviously one's economic circumstance has a lot to do with their decision on the price point they would pay, mine was pretty thin in those days. Much like those who can afford a Corvette vs those who might like one, but can only afford a Chevette. They both do the same thing, move you around from one place to another. Is the sportier Corvette worth the extra cost?

Well, this is surely getting to far into the weeds, so I'll just simply ask those who reload, if you had anything to do over again, would you go the same route, or would you maybe consider a more expensive set-up, or a more inexpensive set-up? Actually I should have just set up a poll I guess. Didn't mean to get into all this. Sorry. jj
Lee Pro-4000..does the job.....most times...maybe cuz the Sawzall is nearby with that new VERY SHARP steel cutting blade??

Dillon 550c..does the job ALL the times

would i do it again and consider a more expensive press..??

yes, a Dillon 550c, for my particular needs, and round counts.

a Corvette..?? over a Chevette..??,

for 1, Chevettes are no longer made, but if they were still being built..??

would get a guy this....

ADCreHcwAvWNl3onHuQTtTXbMQtXD5x52FYwTT5AcZsDFzX2Vb3RVm8F6icuLkjpuctNjO6NSrhZQsuJe-MqUy1wyrQpl43wQvE1FT5gS_23F1t81eisVRRY-D8FrxMUBKnIWyRlT9fDtUFA1B38SGu1jhukDEiqHNMudpZB82bxoYyQS8Q6NIPTNOisExqAF7jassI36TzDcxR1omb3k2-6QTzMQkpY4F5CJ5_qJyxuKMc0rkdkxvNKdP41o3lUrZZO41gY4_g_C18jE14RIh9tRMPfwBOBUHP8WHTLWZfxsqlx4onsuckLvVnMXEI7U6Be1z-ae29EpAXi6yqwPMyAS8A05lJW5tx72N_9x-y1crFxySFqd1eA6e3ItOHpJfSKX4ktoHVciO8hpLkTBaJUSjBLpnOa7qI6fWGDEy7T2dJasa_2wfo2K0yEs67dsJMSJKFruTsF-wGZIMvIu7IoNBH7wb61WJCBp51Sq04-1KeLPSFvV9OZ7QS4LM7RDa2XErA9Si_ka6rSpqHYFWi-oYcz4vqFeTGXg2vhiM5rDLqfCqo-nyL44ZoGowkxnR1B-jZoQHHN5jPfJGqp8eAPVCnNacMV4mj31R9LpOsrtugEeN3Qz7Ozzc0uoInpLmYzgMRWondBf6hWXgvU7BeilF0Me9DsXYejsn3B2ifagNiWErQwuWhaGvuR4kuDDyk7e0zBMgXTDgANBfKlJvQpcVBZJgE13-JTmcNRa8imaD6mC5Xq5G8okpzzxvxuFzGeb-8O3ofskJvAN-jAuRTbrJAFr6LUQC81dRRJObYeLqFcstkkJahBoyHoK4J9PRkp70eMBJdROpCBxmySZMmBpgVjiNZnLp4rPxBqii4b8RJSL2_mfGEmKsAJi-VUdtacuuslYo4AvAYr5gxrY5rf12zHTw=w300-h400-s-no-gm

and 2 Corvettes can get a guy this..

1699215698398.png

You're probably right in what each car would get for you ... the question is what would you likely get from each of them? Well, probably not so much from Elizabeth Hurley, but I'm not so sure about the other one. She looks a little rowdy.

Actually that first one looks a lot my first wife ... she ran off with a Highway Patrol Trooper many years ago. Even till today, every time I see a blue light flashing I'm scared almost to death it's him trying to bring her back! :rolleyes:;) jj

i just ordered a lee six pack pro setup for 45acp with an inline bullet feeder for 45 and 9mm. it should be delivered today. I still have my square deal b which i love but figured I'd give this one a try. from the videos I've watched they have the primmer issue fixed and the inline bullet feeder looks like a winner.
Let us know how it works. I am considering upgrading from Lee Pro 4000 to the new six pack.

I've only loaded about 1k so far and it's working well. I didn't like having to load the bullet feeder by hand so I 3d printed an automatic bullet feeder.
It's not as smooth as my Dillion square deal but it works well.

I've only loaded about 1k so far and it's working well. I didn't like having to load the bullet feeder by hand so I 3d printed an automatic bullet feeder.
It's not as smooth as my Dillion square deal but it works well.
Show us the feeder you printed, please.

Back