testtest

When is it time to stop buying

I stopped buying until my ammo supply gets replenished.
I still have a 686 plus on my bucket list, since I still have the Model 27 I bought new in the 70's.

View attachment 46118
I bought the same setup Model 27 in the presentation case as a duty gun in 1977. Mine was a 5". I unfortunately had to sell it for traveling money when I moved to Florida in 1980, it was a fine revolver. I bought another one just like it for my collection a few years ago, and have a 3.5" pre-27 made in the 50's that I inherited. They are great guns.

Attachments

• 20221012_170638.jpg
    20221012_170638.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 29
The 27 is a great gun however out of the 2 mentioned I am partial to the 686. It’s less beefy yet still plenty strong.

If I ever have to go down to one handgun it will probably be a 586/686 with a 4” Barrel it just works for me and as a former duty gun feels like part of my hand every time I pick it up even when I haven’t used it for a while!

the last gun I bought was a Glock 26 and I think I bought it in 2018.

I think it depends on your goals.

I'm not "into" guns. That's probably why I like Glocks. That's also why I own less than 10 of them.

If I was a collector and I was getting older I think I'd rather liquidate my collection at what I know are fair prices and leave my wife cash rather than a hassle.

Ok boys and girls question I am 68 going to turn 69 in January I having a problem shooting and rotating all my guns . I think it’s time but I am going out in a bang either a smith and Wesson model 586 or a model 27 both in 357mag . I am lending towards the 27 thoughts 💭

I think that, if you're having trouble deciding, go out with a big bang and get both! "Go not gentle into that good night, rage, rage at the dying of the light..."! :)

Last edited:
Ok boys and girls question I am 68 going to turn 69 in January I having a problem shooting and rotating all my guns . I think it’s time but I am going out in a bang either a smith and Wesson model 586 or a model 27 both in 357mag . I am lending towards the 27 thoughts 💭
It's never time to stop buying if you have someone to leave them to when you pass. I'm 78 and just ordered a Taurus 627 in 357 Magnum with a 6.5 inch barrel. Hopefully it will be in next week.

As far as stopping buying, well that's hard for someone else to decide.

A few years ago i trimmed my collections, knives, guns, watches. These days I only buy when I really find a need. Or want to replace,/improve a current choice. Like year i bought the P364xl to fill a perceived need. Now i am slowly convincing myself i woukd be better served with an EMP, Deceptive hi power or something of the like. But that's just me.
Totally understand sld

I thoughtI was done buying guns but then last month I was re-bitten by the 1911 bug.
Yea I don’t know how hard it’s going to be to stop I do have some disposable money . Let’s put it this way I not hurting at all so I might see something down the road . But no I am going to stop . Like I said can’t rotate them all . My son will get all it .

Yea I don’t know how hard it’s going to be to stop I do have some disposable money . Let’s put it this way I not hurting at all so I might see something down the road . But no I am going to stop . Like I said can’t rotate them all . My son will get all it .
Well, you were going to leave him money. So now leave him guns. It's an investment that is likely to appreciate in value. And you get new stuff to play with in the meantime. It's a win/win.

So…

I’ve said several times that “enough is enough…except for a few select pieces to fill out my HK addiction, I’m fine”.

And then I buy something else, and it just keeps going.

As for the revolver?

Get a pre-MIM 27. 3.5 or 4”.

They are just so dang nice… .357 mag in an N-frame is incredibly pleasant, even with hot loads; .38’s are like shooting a big .22.

Don’t get me wrong—the X86 are great pistols, but a 27 built back in the day is for all intents and purposes a Performance Center pistol built but guys who knew more about putting together a great revolver than probably must of S&W does today.

Back