testtest

Which stance do you use ?

I was trained with the one handed "Camp Perry" stance, FBI combat crouch, Weaver, Modified Weaver, Isocoles, and a few other hybrids over the years. On the range I always seemed to best with the Weaver, that was taught in police academies for many years. Those positions all have their place on the range for marksmanship training, but the truth is, officers I know of could not tell me where their feet were during the encounter. Your shooting stance is where you are when the shooting starts. I always demonstrated and taught the various named stances in my classes, but never got wrapped around the axle over which one they had to use. My requirement for a combat shooting stance is that it be balanced, provide a solid platform, be able to move quickly, and the shooter lean into the gun to be "nose over toes". Otherwise, shooter's choice.

I was trained with the one handed "Camp Perry" stance, FBI combat crouch, Weaver, Modified Weaver, Isocoles, and a few other hybrids over the years. On the range I always seemed to best with the Weaver, that was taught in police academies for many years. Those positions all have their place on the range for marksmanship training, but the truth is, officers I know of could not tell me where their feet were during the encounter. Your shooting stance is where you are when the shooting starts. I always demonstrated and taught the various named stances in my classes, but never got wrapped around the axle over which one they had to use. My requirement for a combat shooting stance is that it be balanced, provide a solid platform, be able to move quickly, and the shooter lean into the gun to be "nose over toes". Otherwise, shooter's choice.
OUTSTANDING post, Hayes!

At LFI-I in 1988, Booya Sam made us all try shooting from Weaver, Chapman ("Modified Weaver"--basically, Weaver with the shooting arm fully extended and elbow locked) and isosceles, just so we'd be familiar with all three. To my amazement, I actually shot slightly better from isosceles, but by that time I'd been shooting from Weaver for so long that Weaver is "natural" to me. The lesson here is, find what's "natural" to YOU and work with that, because that's what you're gonna do under stress.

Yeah. It’s why we train in all kinds of different situations and positions. The odds of getting to your preferred stance and even grip are much, much lower in a SHTF situation.

Back