testtest

Who wants a JXP10 ?

It's like riding a Moped; except the Moped is a real piece of crap that will snap in half over the first bump....
sorta like this...??

Ram-Snapped-Hero-2.jpg

except that never happens.
Sure it does....
maxresdefault.jpg

Or do you mean the pistols?
imga02651-jpg.23148

IMGA02751.jpg

Is it uncommon, I don't know, but I'm willing to believe it is, but when I read this;
Hi-Point pistol slides are made of ZAMAK-3, a non-ferrous (won't attract a magnet) Zinc-Aluminum Alloy (ZnAl4) that is popular in the die-cast industry. Usually ZA3 is 96% pure zinc coupled with a blend of 4% aluminum, magnesium, and copper.
Its basically Pot Metal, No Thanks....

So…I used to help my buddy teach carry classes; I’d RSO, keep an eye on students that needed extra help, etc.

The 3 pistols that failed the most in his classes (in no particular order):

-Anything that had been “garage gunsmithed”

-High Points

-Raven/Lorcin/Jiminez

Yours may run great..but in the sample size I’ve had experience with?

I’d sooner have a derringer.

Sure it does....
maxresdefault.jpg

Or do you mean the pistols?
imga02651-jpg.23148

IMGA02751.jpg

Is it uncommon, I don't know, but I'm willing to believe it is, but when I read this;

Its basically Pot Metal, No Thanks....
Zamak is exactly pot metal. Bass guitar bridges and S tons of new production safety razors are just two of the products made with Zamak which have terribly high failure rates. I collect both safety razors and basses. Though most of my safety razors are vintage ( ranging from 1931 to 1968 off the top of my head). I do own some modern production examples, all made of high quality stainless or Titanium and all except one retail north of $300.

Google Rickenbacker 4001 tail lift. It's a hoot. After years of people complaining about the issue and Rickenbacker themselves producing ( for a very short time) new models with 3 extra screws to hold the tailpiece flat and John Hall ( Owner of Rickenbacker) suing everyone who made aftermarket bridges out of steel that looked to much like the originals, he still refuses to acknowledge there is a problem. He blames it on string tension, i.e. people using the wrong strings. My '74 had it pretty bad so I replaced it with a brand new, identical Rickenbacker unit. 1 day after I installed it it began tracking north ( lifting away from the body of the bass). He's selling these basses for a couple grand each and is too cheap to just start making the bridge out of steel. Zamak it is. I was on the verge of replacing it with an aftermarket Bad Ass II bridge, but then I bought my first Spector NS and promptly forgot about my beloved ex old number one. These days I am no longer in working bands and probably ought to sell most of them and buy guns. Maybe Roosevelt's Smith and Wesson New Model 3. :cool:

Yeah, Zamak sucks.

Zamak is exactly pot metal....

....Yeah, Zamak sucks.
Pot Metal got its name from the early days of the auto industry, the workers would gather up all the non-ferrous metal scrapes and melt them down in a pot and poor them into molds for the decorative attachments on the cars....

It was mostly zinc, alloyed with some other metals with a low melting point of around 750°F.
Which is exactly the property of Zamak....

Now to be fair, Pot Metal is different in the sense it has no set formula or proportions of metals in the alloy, it was just created from all the scraps collected up, but it was usually mostly zinc since its cheap and plentiful. Since those days, they do make alloys that get called Pot Metal, that have set formula's, like Zamak. So having a set formula does make the properties more predictable to be more reliable in structural uses. So not only is the metal cheap, its also much easier and cheaper to fabricate. I don't know if Hi-Point Slides are die-cast, but that is the primary use of Zamak, and die-casting parts with some finishing machining if that is even done, is far cheaper than forging high carbon or stainless steel and all the machining that is required to finish a forged blanc.

That Hi Point in that picture didn't explode, it was cut on a saw
The only reliabiliy issues with Hi Points is the magazines. A simple tweak of the feed liips fixes this.
They are one of the most toruture tested brands, and they run.
They have their shortcomings...they are ugly, heavy, have rudimentary sights and limited capacity.
But they aren't junk.

I have had one C9 and two JCP 40s and had no issues with them.

That Hi Point in that picture didn't explode, it was cut on a saw
The only reliabiliy issues with Hi Points is the magazines. A simple tweak of the feed liips fixes this.
They are one of the most toruture tested brands, and they run.
They have their shortcomings...they are ugly, heavy, have rudimentary sights and limited capacity.
But they aren't junk.

I have had one C9 and two JCP 40s and had no issues with them.
Not sure about the top pic, but the bottom pic was most definitely NOT saw cut. The fracture lines are not clean like a saw would make.

HI-Points offer a cheap home defense weapon. Hi-Points have gone through more torture tests on YT than any other firearm. Demolition Ranch has two videos of shooting the Hi Points with the barrel blocked with various materials and they not only cleared the block they usually continued to function. The negatives for Hi Point are they are ugly and no fun to disassemble/reassemble.

Last edited:
Thus the very low MSRP.
I don't know if Hi-Point Slides are die cast, but that is the primary use of Zamak, the metal they use to make the slides.
Compare the manufacturing cost of die-casting a slide of Zamak to the cost of forging, machining and hardening steel.
I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if there is no machining of the Hi-Point slides at all, die-casting is dimensionally accurate enough it wouldn't surprise me if there is no machining.

Back