testtest

Whose Upset

That technology is phenomenal and it’s not going away. The de-aging is one thing, but the ability to speed up typically time consuming tasks in post-production is fantastic, but potentially it requires less people/jobs and as I mentioned in a previous post you can use digital doubles to avoid paying actors - even if you use them in a completely different film.

I just recently directed a big production that involved a massive amount of blue screening. Even with today’s advanced tools there’s no such thing as a magic button that just removes all that stuff perfectly so there is a massive amount of man hours that goes into cleaning up the motion tracking and keying that the computer can’t figure out. It’s a job that no one really likes and is phenomenally expensive. AI will eventually make that process far less painful. On this particular production the post-production work cost nearly twice the cost of the shoot and the film crew.
They make movies in Tejas ?

Here's something I just learned. The studio can hire an actor for one day. They can then capture their voice and image with AI and use it again and again forever and never pay that actor another cent. It seems that one of the major sticking points of this strike is over the use of technology to replace actors. I see the point in being angry over this.
Case in point: If you've seen the new Indiana Jones movie, you'll notice that for about the first half hour or so that you're looking at a much younger Harrison Ford who looks just like he did in Raiders. Modern technology at its best. :rolleyes:

Ok, I can concede that if I worked in the business, I would feel very threatened about that.

On the other hand, I don't work in the business. And I think the vast majority of actors suck at their jobs, essentially just play themselves in every role, are often not even in the least believable and generally perform the function of a 2-dimensional animated character, so I can see why just animating them would make a lot of people's lives simpler.

I've dug deep and tried to find empathy for actors on this, but I just can't. The world will be just fine without them, and if I don't have to hear another lecture about greenhouse gasses from a self-important and overpaid narcissist who just flew his private jet to a party in Davos, I think that would be a good thing.

Which leads me to an idea on how this could be negotiated: What if the studios agree to not rip off actors with AI, and in exchange, actors agree to STFU outside of the studio, and never again pontificate on any issue that they are totally unqualified to be commenting on? That's an agreement I think I could get behind.

Back