testtest

Why I Carry with an Empty Chamber — Should You?

You left out owning Hi-Point’s and Buicks !
Very important subject matter
IKR

20230501_143550.jpg

I also carry Condition 3. I carry a SA 911 (which for some strange reason SA discontinued) and it is an excellent carry gun. I leave my safety off and the rear sight (like on the Hellcat) is conducive to quick racking with a gun belt. I keep my pistol well oiled and ready and I can go from my pocket to trained on my target within 2 seconds with regular practice. I also carry at church (and all the time for that matter) and never have to worry about an accidental discharge. The article writer has a valid point.

Recently a gun carrier dropped his piece at a supermarket parking lot and it discharged slightly injuring a bystander. I'm sure legal bills ensued. One can usually sense a threat and have a few moments to make the correct decision with an intruder or criminal. I have held perps at gunpoint before and it was not fun, however having my gun available was enough to neutralize the situation without any discharge. Hope that never happens again, but I will be ready.

I once read someplace (so I can't vouch for the truthfulness) that the Israelis instituted this policy because they had so many untrained civilians carrying guns and wanted some kind of safety margin.
I've read the same thing, I also read that they had several different types of handguns and selected chamber empty carry as a system that would work with all actions

WHY? WHY? Why do people think they can pontificate on a subject like this and actually think you are going to change anyone’s mind one way or another? Particularly over such a poorly written article. C’mon people surely you could spend your time more productively standing out front of your house screaming at cars to go slower or complaining that the neighbor kid hit his ball in your yard again.
Dude gets paid whether or not he convinces you

Sorry guys I just don't agree with y'all. Probably a fair number of forum members have been involved in situations requiring your to draw & be ready to fire if needed. Unfortunately I have and they could've gone badly having to rack a slide or cock a hammer. If you guys feel comfortable with that it is your right to do so. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one, including me.

I would simply add that condition of carry is a personal choice, like the type of EDC you choose. Do what works best for you, with the caveat of having continual training to support that choice. Some of us can carry in any of the conditions, and, depending on the firearm choice and circumstances, decide based on that. Sometimes I carry with an empty chamber and am well trained to do so and have witnesses give timed draws to be well under the vast majority of carriers ability because I'm trained to do so. Enough with the "well when you're as experienced as we are in this or that, you'll see we are correct" attitude. Live and let live. Some carry a SBR - I don't but it's their choice and provided they are well trained - why not? Same with empty chamber carry.

I wanted to jump in with both feet and deride the author, but I actually read the whole article and believe the reasoning is sound - for his situation. He's being responsible while still giving himself the opportunity to still be able to defend himself and others if need be. I carry in an IWB kydex holster and at least a couple of relatives surely felt the "iron" during holiday hugs. But over my admittedly short (4-5 years) of concealed carry, I've become a little less worried about the minor things.

Yes, my choice is carrying with one in the chamber, but that's me, and that's what I train with.

On the other hand, I had a Hellcat and sold it. I love Springfield pistols, but the Hellcat just didn't do it for me. It's not so much the Hellcat specifically, but microcompacts in general. Don't like them. Don't like shooting them. And, the less I like something, the less I'm going to train with it. On the other hand, my XD Mod.2 subcompact (13+1 flush capacity) rocks. For me, it's the perfect size and I can train with it a couple of hours per session without feeling like I've been shooting a porcupine.

Honestly, for 2024, I'm working on how to conceal-carry an Echelon. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them!

Hope everyone enjoyed a great Christmas and I wish you all a healthy and joyful new year.

I wanted to jump in with both feet and deride the author, but I actually read the whole article and believe the reasoning is sound - for his situation. He's being responsible while still giving himself the opportunity to still be able to defend himself and others if need be. I carry in an IWB kydex holster and at least a couple of relatives surely felt the "iron" during holiday hugs. But over my admittedly short (4-5 years) of concealed carry, I've become a little less worried about the minor things.

Yes, my choice is carrying with one in the chamber, but that's me, and that's what I train with.

On the other hand, I had a Hellcat and sold it. I love Springfield pistols, but the Hellcat just didn't do it for me. It's not so much the Hellcat specifically, but microcompacts in general. Don't like them. Don't like shooting them. And, the less I like something, the less I'm going to train with it. On the other hand, my XD Mod.2 subcompact (13+1 flush capacity) rocks. For me, it's the perfect size and I can train with it a couple of hours per session without feeling like I've been shooting a porcupine.

Honestly, for 2024, I'm working on how to conceal-carry an Echelon. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them!

Hope everyone enjoyed a great Christmas and I wish you all a healthy and joyful new year.

In a tight to the body OWB holster ( my choice is Muddy River Tactical) under an unbuttoned flannel or button up type shirt, slightly oversized, or a jacket.

AIWB

It's completely doable either way you just have to experiment with placement, clothes choices, etc.

I think it is interesting to see so many folks argue whether someone else is a “Fudd” (whatever that is) or just stupid or untrained when they carry differently. At least if three or four bored thugs decide to try to beat them to death when they run by Kroger to pick up milk on the way home, they have an effective means to defend themselves. Most likely not even have to chamber a round. I think the author has a legitimate reason for his actions and deserves respect for putting it out there, so to speak.

I really enjoy the Doc's articles! In this case ;^) , it's good food for thought. I've trained with the 1911 since I was 21. I use a double stack 9 now, cocked and locked. I just can't trust that faux safety on the trigger of the Glock style guns.
I'm sure I could trust that Glock-invented trigger toggle if I tried harder, but I just can't imagine any situation where it would prevent an accidental discharge -- unlike manual safeties and grip safeties.
But then again, I'm a bit of a heretic and think that my first priority is not shooting anything that doesn't qualify as a life-endangering threat.

I'm sure I could trust that Glock-invented trigger toggle if I tried harder, but I just can't imagine any situation where it would prevent an accidental discharge -- unlike manual safeties and grip safeties.
But then again, I'm a bit of a heretic and think that my first priority is not shooting anything that doesn't qualify as a life-endangering threat.
Snarky comment at the end aside ( I'm pretty sure you're not a heretic since all of us have the same priority. It does seem like you are inferring that anyone who carries with a loaded chamber and no manual safety does NOT prioritize safe gun handling and use of force laws. Am I wrong ? ) there's nothing wrong with your opinion. I don't share it, but this is a free-ish country and we are all entitled. Bottom line is I don't really care how you or anyone else chooses to carry a gun and I don't think anyone should care how I do it.

Back