testtest

Why I Was Wrong About Red Dots…

I was skeptical about red dots on pistols until I shot a friend's that was red dot equipped. I ordered the Shield RMSc immediately afterward for my Hellcat OSP. It's been on for a little over 4 months now, and for those like me with "senior eyes", it's a gift as far as accuracy and target acquisition speed are concerned. It took a few range sessions and some practice at home to have the dot on target rapidly, but it all worked out very well in the end after learning to focus on the target, not on the dot as you would with the iron sights. Try it, you'll like it!

What is the best sight for a Smithfield XD Mod2 ? New to the gun world and learning. It came with red and yellow pencil lead looking things but there are no instructions and I have no idea what to do with them. I'm assuming based on this article that they are some sort of sight assistance? Thanks

What is the best sight for a Smithfield XD Mod2 ? New to the gun world and learning. It came with red and yellow pencil lead looking things but there are no instructions and I have no idea what to do with them. I'm assuming based on this article that they are some sort of sight assistance? Thanks
Those are extra fiber optic rods you can use to replace the ones on the pistol. It would be a lot easier for you to view a video on YouTube as how to replace them then it would be to explain here.

It is a pretty easy process to do it yourself if you preferred a color change from what's currently on the pistol. As to what sights are the best is another personal preference question as each shooter has a different opinion on this.

Also welcome to the forum!

I was skeptical about red dots on pistols until I shot a friend's that was red dot equipped. I ordered the Shield RMSc immediately afterward for my Hellcat OSP. It's been on for a little over 4 months now, and for those like me with "senior eyes", it's a gift as far as accuracy and target acquisition speed are concerned. It took a few range sessions and some practice at home to have the dot on target rapidly, but it all worked out very well in the end after learning to focus on the target, not on the dot as you would with the iron sights. Try it, you'll like it!
How has the polymer lens held up so far? Does the RSMC fully cowitness? Curious what an actual RSMC owner with a Hellcat thinks.

How has the polymer lens held up so far? Does the RSMC fully cowitness? Curious what an actual RSMC owner with a Hellcat thinks.
Yes it does fully cowitness. I have both the RMSc and the SMSc love them both. My RMSC has the glass and the SMSc has the polymer lens. Both hold up relatively well however I prefer the glass. The polymer has taken a few small scratches and tarnish during wear and cleaning.

Yes it does fully cowitness. I have both the RMSc and the SMSc love them both. My RMSC has the glass and the SMSc has the polymer lens. Both hold up relatively well however I prefer the glass. The polymer has taken a few small scratches and tarnish during wear and cleaning.
Thanks!! May have to go with the glass. Probably go with the SMSC with glass. Hard for me to stomach the idea of paying almost as much for the optic as I paid for the gun....

For the size category the OSP Hellcat accepts - the Holosun 407k, 507k or Swampfox Sentinel M would be my recommendation. I'm not sure if the OEM sights will cowitness with the Swampfox - but it does on my Canik which doesn't have particularly tall sights.

Red dots are the way.

The Swampfox Sentinel will not cowitness with the OEM sights on the OSP. I know this from personal experience. It will obstruct about the bottom 2/3rds of the sights. They're still usable but not easily.
That's still a cowitness. You don't want full cowitness - you want lower 1/3 at most.

The benefit of raising the glass is the dot's travel up will hit on more of the glass. If the dot isn't on the screen - then it's off the screen low.

If the irons are too prominent it will hold you back from truly target focusing and learning to index properly. Most irons shooters have bad indexes on presentation because they subconsciously guide the gun into alignment as they present - which is fine - but starts to be less fine when you start reaching for speed. It's context dependent - but the goal is to be able to point the gun at what you're looking at without having to look at the gun to make sure everything is lined up - look to point and dot comes onto point.

Don't think it's an issue with you? Put a piece of painters tape on the front lens of your optic then start trying to point an [unloaded] gun at things. For an even more wild ride - go shoot groups or run plate racks that way.

That's still a cowitness. You don't want full cowitness - you want lower 1/3 at most.

The benefit of raising the glass is the dot's travel up will hit on more of the glass. If the dot isn't on the screen - then it's off the screen low.

If the irons are too prominent it will hold you back from truly target focusing and learning to index properly. Most irons shooters have bad indexes on presentation because they subconsciously guide the gun into alignment as they present - which is fine - but starts to be less fine when you start reaching for speed. It's context dependent - but the goal is to be able to point the gun at what you're looking at without having to look at the gun to make sure everything is lined up - look to point and dot comes onto point.

Don't think it's an issue with you? Put a piece of painters tape on the front lens of your optic then start trying to point an [unloaded] gun at things. For an even more wild ride - go shoot groups or run plate racks that way.
I have other handguns with red dots that allow a full view of the irons and I have no trouble distinguishing both. I won't accept obstructed irons just to get a red dot. Parts fail and electronics fail first, and if the sight fails in an emergency I want a clearly visible set of irons to fall back on.

If it's a range toy or a race gun then it doesn't really matter, but for a carry gun IMHO you should have clearly visible irons as a backup.

I have other handguns with red dots that allow a full view of the irons and I have no trouble distinguishing both. I won't accept obstructed irons just to get a red dot. Parts fail and electronics fail first, and if the sight fails in an emergency I want a clearly visible set of irons to fall back on.

If it's a range toy or a race gun then it doesn't really matter, but for a carry gun IMHO you should have clearly visible irons as a backup.
Lower 1/4 or 1/5 irons are usable as irons. the top of the front sight is the only part that matters.

I'm using a Sig Romeo Zero on mine. It does feel chintzy, but so far it's been holding up to the round count. I haven't started edc'ing it yet though. The included screws needs a few threads shaved off, otherwise they're too long, and recoil will cause the battery to lose contact. It does co-witness, by like half the front sight is covered.

Back