testtest

Why is my barrel scratching up?

dkirk18

Operator
why is this happening? my 1st Hellcat didn't scratch like this.
20221007_183351.jpg

Your other barrels might have a tougher finish that doesn't wear off as fast.
There is tolerances and most pistols after the barrel unlocks from the slide it should pull down to clear the slide by a few thousands of inch. But most still get the rub marks, the barrel can float a little and contact the slide.
As well as oiling the barrel there, you can grease/oil the inside of the slide that would contact the barrel to keep the wear down.

Curious, has anyone ever buffed off and polished the exterior black finish (Nitride/Melonite/etc) on the exposed barrel, and would that cause any affect with rust protection? Of course the scratching will occur anyway just not so obvious if that’s bothersome sight.
or…
Here's a stainless barrel aftermarket option available, which hides the wear better. I have a similar style stainless bbl on a 30 yr old S&W that looks almost new still with the obvious contact slide wear marks.
I think the two-tone looks better too.
I might just have to get a stainless bbl for the P365.

You might also put a light film of oil on that barrel hood prior to shooting a bunch of rounds through it.
Or grease/lube. Most of my guns have this wear, just not as much since I use a lube on the hood and barrel, along with the slide rails. These are your carry guns/shooting guns/fun guns. They are not meant to be "trailer queens". If you fret over this, just wait until you see the holster wear on your gun. I lube and oil enough to keep the wear to a minimum, without having it dripping wet. But, that is just my cleaning and oil routine. Everybody is different. As long as it shoots, is reliable and has no issues, it is good to go. Like on your ride, once you get that first scratch/ding, the rest is easier to deal with. Just my opinion. Rub some dirt on it. Walk it off.

Curious, has anyone ever buffed off and polished the exterior black finish (Nitride/Melonite/etc) on the exposed barrel, and would that cause any affect with rust protection? Of course the scratching will occur anyway just not so obvious if that’s bothersome sight.
or…
Here's a stainless barrel aftermarket option available, which hides the wear better. I have a similar style stainless bbl on a 30 yr old S&W that looks almost new still with the obvious contact slide wear marks.

It's not like removing paint aka cerakote or a coating like chrome or nickel. Nitride/Melonite is a treatment to the metal itself. Removing the finish means removing metal all in the name of looks on a tool. Like others have stated, it's a tool and not a fashion accessory. It's a dime a dozen polymer frame striker pistol at that. There is no collectors value or heirloom worth. When I am worried about and want a pretty pistol, I'll go for a nice 1911, Beretta, old school S&W or Colt revolver, or other metal frame pistol...

100% normal. The seemingly angular direction of the wear on the barrel hood of the Hellcat I had which looked exactly like your pic drove my OCD crazy (thinking they should be straight/parallel with the barrel movement) until I realized the normal wear of the finish was exposing the direction of the final machining marks underneath. If you look closely you can see the same machining marks continue in the same direction under the unworn finish.

or…

Nitride is not a coating but an actual treatment into the metal itself.

Back