testtest

Why the XD hate?

There are "Why the XD hate?" threads on just about every gun forum on the net the last several years.

And, other than some not liking the grip safety no one really posts why they hate them.

So, its' a moot point.

My .02
I honestly was just curious if there was something that I didn’t know about the platform that was generating the hate.

I think it’s a combo deal having to do with the giving in to gun grabbers thing a few years ago and the fact that the guns are not made in the US or Germany or Austria or Israel, but Croatia.

When I first started shooting, my CFP instruction carried a Glock. However, at the time, I just didn't like how it felt in my hand. I didn't like the way it pointed, so to speak. As I've gotten older and my vision has changed, I can shoot my Glock much more accurately than my XD pistols. That said, I think that has more to do with the sights than anything else. If I took the time to change out the sights on my XD's, I'm sure I'd be as accurate as I am with the Glock. But is my XD shooting *really* inaccurate? Absolutely not! I will easily place all of those shots from any XD into the hurty parts of a bad guy, no problem. I don't love the Glock's blockiness (not a word?) but I am no respecter of pistols. They are all lovely, in my eyes. Except for Hi-Point. You have a problem if you carry that around. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
...and.....
I’ve always found it strange how new shooters don’t think a Glock feels “funny” or “unnatural” until someone tells them that it does.

Honestly, I’ve never bought into that whole line, anyway. The Ruger Mk series, as well as the Luger have a similar grip angle, and you never hear people say that they feel unnatural. Funny, that.

As for the XD “hate”? I think it goes both ways…I’ve heard a lot of XD owners rip on Glocks over the years.

Personally, I don’t dislike the XD series if pistols, but I can say that after owning a model in every flavor but the XDE, it’s not for me.

My preferences have changed over time - I started out also really not liking the Glock's grip angle: and as with a few others here, no-one had told me that was a thing, either.

Some industry personalities have suggested that the traditional Glock grip angle corresponded well with how we align our wrist in martial arts...but even with my years of martial arts training, that bit never lit the proverbial light-bulb for me. :dunno:

It was really what made me go for that "blind taste test" session with my friend who sold me his old XDm, when I first started. I wanted something that got me as high as possible on the power curve, as ostensibly I wanted the pistol for home-defense, and I really performed well with the XDm, on a quantifiable, objective basis. Thinking back, both the grip angle as well as the visuals of the factory sights were likely what contributed to my lesser performance with the Glock, versus the other two pistols.

But that's therein lies the rub....

It's really *_my_* performance that's the problem, right? ;)

Towards that, my breakthrough moment was with Chris Cerino, who happens to be a "local" instructor here in NE-Ohio. As some of you may know, he's former FAM, and was twice runner-up ("always the bridesmaid!" as he cheerfully reflects on his time on the show) of The History Channel's "Top Shot," Season 1 and All-Stars.

His classes focus heavily on the fundamentals, and his theory was that it was simply all about the sight package and the trigger path. To illustrate that point, he took us back to his days on "Top Shot." Cerino noted that on any given day, the contestants could be asked to fire a variety of different weapons that spanned throughout history - and that the universal truth always boiled down to "sight and trigger."

That kinda got me over the entire "Glock grip angle" thing - along with a my own better understanding of how to properly use the open sights on a pistol.

Now, some 10 years down the path, I'm actually finding that I really like the Glock's grip angle....

I like to tell my daughter that our taste-buds change over time, and that she should try revisiting foods that she hadn't liked previously, after some time. I honestly think that this now applies to where I am with firearms, too. :)

Back