testtest

Why You Should Buy in Ammo in Bulk

Interesting article. Exactly where do you find popular ammo in bulk at a reasonable price these days? Target Sports used to have free shipping but they are ALWAYS out of stock. I used to use Natchez but as an example 1000 rd bulk:
March-$147
May-$207
July-$327
Aug.-$399
Sep.$459
Nov.$809
When available (9mm)
Some distributors are asking $1000 for 1000 rounds of 9mm
Similar type of increases on .223 / 556

When it comes to carry ammo...if you clear your weapon regularly, you want to be sure to replace the chambered round fairly often, for two reasons.

The first is bullet setback; multiple chamberings can cause the bullet to get pushed back into the case, leading to an excessive overpressure event. Some calibers are more susceptible than others (.357 Sig is one of the worst culprits), as well as ultralight bullets.

The second is primer deadening. The process of chambering a round is a pretty violent one, if you are doing it right—either dropping the slide lock release, or via the slingshot/power stroke method. It can cause your primer to go inert after a while...and that’s no dang good.

Personslly, my rounds get five chamberings before they get tossed in the range bag...when I have a magazine's worth, I run them.
Good information thanks.

Here is a question that relates. Assuming I wanted to buy ammo by the pallet where would I go to buy it to get the best price?

I know how many 12 gauge shells are on a pallet because of trap shooting, but I have no idea how many 9mm rounds would be on a pallet.

Here is a question that relates. Assuming I wanted to buy ammo by the pallet where would I go to buy it to get the best price?

I know how many 12 gauge shells are on a pallet because of trap shooting, but I have no idea how many 9mm rounds would be on a pallet.

For that amount, you’d probably want to see if a local gun shop would put you in touch with a distributor.

And I think a pallet is 50k.

I’m guessing you’d get a great price however I’m not sure who you would contact, I do know one thing for sure is that would probably put up the biggest red flag in history. A licensed distributor could get away with that but a private citizen, not sure. My opinion.

I'm missing something here. Why buy ammo in bulk that you will not use on a regular basis?

Two reasons.

First—function. It’s a pretty safe bet that all the ammunition in a large buy (500-1000 rounds) will be from the same production lot, so will be pretty much identical. That way, I don’t need to recheck function until I buy again...but if I only buy 100 rounds, I’ll run anywhere from 20-40 rounds just verifying function, and when I buy more from a different lot, I need to do it again, in case there was a slight change in manufacturing in the time between different lots. Overkill? Maybe...but the first time I bought a new box of ammo that had always worked in my carry gun, and it didn’t run...I reviewed my habits.

Second...*looks at empty shelves, shelves that will likely be empty for the next year or so*.

I see no issue buying a pallet. No laws broken. Professional shooters go thru thousands a week.
i was 1000-1500 a month just for fun.

you could buy those 55 gallon drums of 5.56 and .308 with 5000 -10000 rounds pre covid.

other than cost, I see no reason or red flag on a huge bulk purchase. Avid recreational shooters can eat up ammo quick at the range

I’m guessing you’d get a great price however I’m not sure who you would contact, I do know one thing for sure is that would probably put up the biggest red flag in history. A licensed distributor could get away with that but a private citizen, not sure. My opinion.

A number of years ago, a group of us would attend military surplus auctions and buy ammo in very large qualities. It was common to fill a box truck after the auctions. We have never been questioned over doing so. Most of us still have a lot of that ammo and the prices were fantastic. Unfortunately, those types of auctions have disappeared when it comes to ammo. :(

Back