testtest

Wrong Gun for Home Defense?

I prefer the AR frame in pistol form. Don't need all that barrel out there in front when I'm in a home defense circumstance. The bad actor is at most mere feet away. In a search situation the pistol is easier to maneuver around doorways. IMHO

After getting my AR pistol and shooting it a bunch at the range monday, it has become my go to for home defense. I obviously still have pistols close by, but the AR pistol will be first to hand. It is so easy to maneuver and feels so natural.
Looking back at WWII the M1 (45cal) Thompson the men carried was designed for CQB (close quarters battle) and it had a 10.5" barrel on it. My AR 300 BO (30cal) with the 7.5" barrel will function quite well here at the house should there be a need for CQB.
Long barrel gives the bad actor something to grab.... hard to maneuver indoors. IMHO

Looking back at WWII the M1 (45cal) Thompson the men carried was designed for CQB (close quarters battle) and it had a 10.5" barrel on it. My AR 300 BO (30cal) with the 7.5" barrel will function quite well here at the house should there be a need for CQB.
Long barrel gives the bad actor something to grab.... hard to maneuver indoors. IMHO
I own a Thompson M1A1 with the "Gangster" hand grip. It is extremely heavy without a full magazine. I can only image it's weight when I fill up the 50 round drum. :cool:

I usually put on my 3 piece Pin Striped suit, Fedora and white silk tie and travel with this, if an intruder comes into my "speakeasy" 🕴:p

IMG_1213.jpg

I honestly don't think there's a "wrong gun," per-se.

My belief is that whatever the defender is most proficient with should be used, and that the tactics of its employment should be worked out well ahead of time. A valid case really can be made for any firearm, not just the AR.

There's a scenario and a reason why any of the weapons mentioned so far in this thread would be the ideal home-defense firearm just as it would be less so: without the exact scenario to play out, who knows what will be better/worse, right? :)

There have been stories of successful home-defense with shotguns, "modern sporting rifles/assault rifles" (however your political bend makes you want to term AK/AR or any other similarly patterned weapon), hunting rifles, and handguns, and virtually every caliber there is.

I'd prefer something that doesn't go through my target, and then the wall or two behind them. I vote 12 gauge or a fat slow mover like a .45. My take is if they are in my house I'm not worried about capacity or velocity as much as dumping as much kinetic energy into their torso as possible.

Last edited:
Hello all, here is today's video posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Wrong Gun for Home Defense? and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/wrong-gun-for-home-defense/.

I have a question, and was wondering if you could possibly share your expertise. The new PDW has a 5.5" barrel right?
I am sincerely looking at purchasing one when it becomes available. How far can the PDW shoot without the round key holing? Or does it key hole rounds at all?

I'd prefer something that doesn't go through my target, and then the wall or two behind them. I vote 12 gauge or a fat slow move like a .45.

Unfortunately, both of those will also readily pass through several rooms' worth of the typical American residential home's interior walls.

Sadly, there's really no magical bullet/load that will just tear into and destroy a bad-actor's flesh but won't pass through walls.

In-reality, the dual considerations of the shooter's proficiency with the weapon - i.e. not missing the intended target - combined with known shooting lanes/backdrops are really the two factors that will control unintentional casualties in adjacent rooms (and beyond), in residential structures.

Back