testtest

XDm Elite 10mm 4.5 barrel, YOUR THOUGHTS!

Not to nitpick, but 180 is not almost as much as 230. It's 50 gr. light. That's nearly a bullet from an M193 round difference.

Oh, and welcome to the forum NevadaSun.
And 180 grain is 56-65 gr more than 9mm. 180 is more than 78% of 230.

We can differ over just how close it has to be to call it close or almost as much... ...perhaps saying almost as much as .45 is a little overstated, it is more than just a few grains...

But the Power Factor and Kinetic Energy of 10mm speaks for itself, its has a lot of mass and velocity to create more than 9mm or .45 ACP....

I would be interested but I just don't want to start stocking another caliber. The cost is another factor for me. I just can't justify for just target shooting
Well, the price of ammo is coming down, and 10mm is about the same as .45 ACP...
But stocking another caliber raises costs without a doubt....

Have to admit, this is the first bad review on this handgun I've seen. What concerns me most is the response from Springfield. NOT good! Just curious, have you installed an optic

Nevadasun:

There are quite a few bad reviews on this. This is a good one to watch.
It seems like the 3.8" barrel shoots better than the full sized 4.5" one.

Elite 10mm Tests.

You can also do a YouTube search. Type in SPRINGFIELD XDM ELITE OSP
10mm accuracy issues. There are others besides the link I posted above.

AGAIN...I have been dealing with mine for many months. Bench rested and
had other people shoot it. Lame ass POA-POI no matter what brand ammo
I have shot. And no; No Optic installed. I WAS going to try to carry this daily.
Having an optic for that option would not work for me.

Last edited:
Nevadasun:

There are quite a few bad reviews on this. This is a good one to watch.
It seems like the 3.8" barrel shoots better than the full sized 4.5" one.

Elite 10mm Tests.

You can also do a YouTube search. Type in SPRINGFIELD XDM ELITE OSP
10mm accuracy issues. There are others besides the link I posted above.

AGAIN...I have been dealing with mine for many months. Bench rested and
had other people shoot it. Lame ass POA-POI no matter what brand ammo
I have shot. And no; No Optic installed. I WAS going to try to carry this daily.
Having an optic for that option would not work for me.
I found one guy that had multiple videos on the same pistol...

I don't deny you have a legitimate problem with you pistol, and so does the guy on youtube. This may be a quality control issue and I agree Springfield should be doing more to address your complaint...

That was not my experience. I have not bench rest shot groups on my XD-M Elite OSP 10mm, but I am shooting as many rounds in the center ring at 25 yard and 10 yard rapid fire as my 1911's that have shot 1" groups with a bench rest. And this is before I put an optic on it.

One guy that raves about the Springfield 10mm, saying he's had problems with the Glock and S&W, now has some reservations because the trigger broke, the actual trigger itself broke at the pin hole for the blade safety. He admits he torture tests his pistols..... ....he also raves that it has the best trigger he's ever experienced, I guess he doesn't shoot 1911's much.... ....the Powder River Precision Trigger Kit I spoke about, replaces the polymer trigger with an aluminum one...

I found one guy that had multiple videos on the same pistol...

I don't deny you have a legitimate problem with you pistol, and so does the guy on youtube. This may be a quality control issue and I agree Springfield should be doing more to address your complaint...

That was not my experience. I have not bench rest shot groups on my XD-M Elite OSP 10mm, but I am shooting as many rounds in the center ring at 25 yard and 10 yard rapid fire as my 1911's that have shot 1" groups with a bench rest. And this is before I put an optic on it.

One guy that raves about the Springfield 10mm, saying he's had problems with the Glock and S&W, now has some reservations because the trigger broke, the actual trigger itself broke at the pin hole for the blade safety. He admits he torture tests his pistols..... ....he also raves that it has the best trigger he's ever experienced, I guess he doesn't shoot 1911's much.... ....the Powder River Precision Trigger Kit I spoke about, replaces the polymer trigger with an aluminum one...
Agreed! He probably does have legitimate gripe. As I stated in my opening statement, "I've had very, very few problems with Springfield products".

Soooooo, this is what I ordered this morning:

Follow Up:

Ordered this, this morning. We'll see if it's a shooter........................
Nevadasun

Follow Up:

Nevadasun
Your buying a fantastic handgun so you should have no problems.

I personally don’t pay one but to any YouTube crap, my dealings are with actual people or my gun shop friend, all the media crap is just for likes and such, rarely are they true. If you look at any gun on YouTube somebody will always find fault with them, social media is the downfall of all of us!

Follow Up:

Nevadasun
I'm very happy with mine. The two tone looks good, if you look close at my photo of the Cerakote job I did myself on mine, there is another lesson learned, even using the same color and batch spraying the same time, metal and polymer will be a shade difference in the tone of the color.... ....I'm still happy with my XD-M in all OD Green, but I can see why SA elected to go two tone with the pistol....

I'm very happy with mine. The two tone looks good, if you look close at my photo of the Cerakote job I did myself on mine, there is another lesson learned, even using the same color and batch spraying the same time, metal and polymer will be a shade difference in the tone of the color.... ....I'm still happy with my XD-M in all OD Green, but I can see why SA elected to go two tone with the pistol....
Your right Rick, your Cerakote job does look good. Cerakote is something I've thought about learning about in the past, but never made the investment.

I own two XDM 10mm's. The 3.8" and the 5.25, as well as various 9mm's in the 4" range, So, I won't be getting a 4.5" XDM 10mm. However, my experience with Springfield's 10mm's has been excellent. Barring issues on how you plan to use this pistol and holster/carry comfort particular to your situation; I couldn't be happier with the reliability and shootability of the XDM 10's and unreservedly can recommend them to anyone who asks. I even located inexpensive IWB/OWB holsters for the 3.8" that are very comfortable and work great for CC. I haven't tried the Smith M&P 10mm, and the SIG was too pricey for me, so I can't tell you how it feels by comparison, but, when it came time to make a decision and plunk my money down, I chose the XDM and haven't regretted it.

I own two XDM 10mm's. The 3.8" and the 5.25, as well as various 9mm's in the 4" range, So, I won't be getting a 4.5" XDM 10mm. However, my experience with Springfield's 10mm's has been excellent. Barring issues on how you plan to use this pistol and holster/carry comfort particular to your situation; I couldn't be happier with the reliability and shootability of the XDM 10's and unreservedly can recommend them to anyone who asks. I even located inexpensive IWB/OWB holsters for the 3.8" that are very comfortable and work great for CC. I haven't tried the Smith M&P 10mm, and the SIG was too pricey for me, so I can't tell you how it feels by comparison, but, when it came time to make a decision and plunk my money down, I chose the XDM and haven't regretted it.
Thanks for the input. I just made a new post " The 10 gets 10stars"

I just joined the forum and haven't had time to research this subject, yet. I've purchased several Springfield handguns in the past and have had very, very few problems.
So, I have a birthday coming up next week and I have permission from the boss to get the Springfield 10mm. From various testimonies and YouTube video's this handgun seems to be preferred over the S&W, SIG or Glock. Just so you know, I'm also a SIG fan, but people seem to prefer the Springfield.
From the vast wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum is there ANY reason why I shouldn't go down this path?

Thanks

I concur! I have fielded 10mm since the introduction of the Bren 10. I am also an end user of the Springfield XD and XDm series. Among them is an EDC XDm 5.25 in 10mm which I waited a long time for Springfield to introduce!
From out of the box to this date it has operated flawlessly. Running a snake thru it, a bit of oil and use of break cleaner an compressed air when it starts to get gritty keeps it reliably operational in the field.
It lives in a rt hand, chest holster giving it comfortable carry, yet quickly accessible.
I prefer the 5.25 barrel simply because it gets the best performance out of the cartridge.
The reason I like Springfield over Glock is simply that the ergonomics of the Springfield work for me. The Glock is to squared an cuts into the web of my hand. The Smith and Sig, both fine firearms, as stated by other here are more dollars than I care to spend.
I have not had a failure or a jam with the XD or XDm that was because of the platform or Magazine. The several that have occurred were directly caused by either steel or aluminum cased munitions.
I recommend Springfield whenever asked. On the occasions that one or more deployed with me they never fail to serve when needed.
If you are a first time owner, spend some time breaking in your Springfield I believe you will be a convert.

I have the smith 2.0 in 10 (4") along with a g20, g40 and an xdm (5.25" precision). I've had the smith for almost a year and haven't shot it much (due to time) and the g20 and 40 are good guns, but I don't like the poly mags. The SA 10 has run 100% great and I'll give it a + with the ss mags. What I don't like is the grip safety. Forget the x10 (well not entirely) but having a 226 in 45 converted to 10 would be my choice if possible!
I too would welcome honest input I have the Sig P320 X10 and have no complaints but I considered the Springfield 10mm many of you report positive reviews. I may buy another 10mm but I want to make a good decision and not have to have any issues. Thank you for the input

I'm going to refer to this chart for future "go nowhere" arguments that we gun people seem to get ourselves into. Thanks.
The next time you see a 9mm vs .45 ACP debate....

Just post this....
CalBrandModelPart NumTypeMassMVPFKE
9 MMFederalAmerican EagleAE9APFMJ1241150142600364
.45 ACPFederalAmerican EagleAE45AFMJ230890204700404
10 MMCCIBlazer Brass5221FMJ1801200216000575

10MM is almost as much mass as .45ACP and the same velocity as 9mm if not more....
The Kinetic Energy (KE) and Power Factor (PF) speaks for themselves.....

BTW, PF is force (sorta) or momentum just in different units to makes it easier to calculate (Grns times FPS)....
RickAnderson, I see what your are saying I don’t know if you read my post in the 10mm vs 40 about my experience with 45ACP and 9MM during my career it was very positive. However, I now carry the 10mm with some real good loads. A buddy introduced me to it and I was hooked. To me it’s a really fun cartridge to shoot and it has a lot going for it.

Back