testtest

XDm Elite 10mm 4.5 barrel, YOUR THOUGHTS!

Follow Up:

Ordered this, this morning. We'll see if it's a shooter........................
Nevadasun
I hope it works well for you and advise on results if you can. Welcome BTW

I concur! I have fielded 10mm since the introduction of the Bren 10. I am also an end user of the Springfield XD and XDm series. Among them is an EDC XDm 5.25 in 10mm which I waited a long time for Springfield to introduce!
From out of the box to this date it has operated flawlessly. Running a snake thru it, a bit of oil and use of break cleaner an compressed air when it starts to get gritty keeps it reliably operational in the field.
It lives in a rt hand, chest holster giving it comfortable carry, yet quickly accessible.
I prefer the 5.25 barrel simply because it gets the best performance out of the cartridge.
The reason I like Springfield over Glock is simply that the ergonomics of the Springfield work for me. The Glock is to squared an cuts into the web of my hand. The Smith and Sig, both fine firearms, as stated by other here are more dollars than I care to spend.
I have not had a failure or a jam with the XD or XDm that was because of the platform or Magazine. The several that have occurred were directly caused by either steel or aluminum cased munitions.
I recommend Springfield whenever asked. On the occasions that one or more deployed with me they never fail to serve when needed.
If you are a first time owner, spend some time breaking in your Springfield I believe you will be a convert.
Thank you for that report. It's especially good to get the opinion from someone who uses this handgun in a real life situations.
I've had several Springfields over the years, and only had one problem. It was with an early model XDs (single stack), which was quickly repaired by Springfield.
I moved away from Springfield and got into SIG's about five years ago, which are excellent guns for the most part. I am new, however, to the 10mm. So, after looking at many reviews, Springfield's ten (10mm) seemed to be the clear winner. After my first range day it was obvious I made the right choice.

I’m late to the party but I got the sportsman’s warehouse version last weekend. It’s my second pistol and I hadn’t shot my kel tek .22 for over a year so I was a little nervous about how things were going to go. I got the 10 mm for back country riding and hiking. The guy at the store was really nice and delicately asked why I wanted a 10mm. I told him “bears”.

Anyway. I was very impressed with how well I shot it and how much it didn’t hurt. I was shooting the regular 180gr target ammo. I was shooting low and to the left (but still on the target) and I could compensate by splitting the front dot with the back sight. I’ve only put 15 rounds through it so far so l’m sure the lack of accuracy is mostly me. I was so happy with the gun that I went and got the 9mm compact yesterday. That’s a nice gun after you take the magwell off. I have small hands and it bothered me. The guy at the gun shop let me hold a colt python so I’m kind of ruined now. I’ll probably get one in a few years after I get my farmette set up and my pistol range set up.

I’m late to the party but I got the sportsman’s warehouse version last weekend. It’s my second pistol and I hadn’t shot my kel tek .22 for over a year so I was a little nervous about how things were going to go. I got the 10 mm for back country riding and hiking. The guy at the store was really nice and delicately asked why I wanted a 10mm. I told him “bears”.

Anyway. I was very impressed with how well I shot it and how much it didn’t hurt. I was shooting the regular 180gr target ammo. I was shooting low and to the left (but still on the target) and I could compensate by splitting the front dot with the back sight. I’ve only put 15 rounds through it so far so l’m sure the lack of accuracy is mostly me. I was so happy with the gun that I went and got the 9mm compact yesterday. That’s a nice gun after you take the magwell off. I have small hands and it bothered me. The guy at the gun shop let me hold a colt python so I’m kind of ruined now. I’ll probably get one in a few years after I get my farmette set up and my pistol range set up.

Glad you liked the thread. This is where I purchase most of my 10mm ammo. Yes, It's a fun gun to shoot and quite accurate.

Attachments

• DSC_1769.JPGa.JPG
    DSC_1769.JPGa.JPG
    812.3 KB · Views: 102

When I jerk a shot, and I shoot infrequently enough that I jerk more than a few, its always low and to the left.

I'm assuming you're shooting right handed. My son shoots left handing and when he jerks shots they go right, and he only does it with my single stack 1911's, which has a narrower grip than all his double stacks.

So at least for me, cause you may be very different....

If I look close I can see two patterns overlapping on the target, one that are my good shots the other where I jerk shots.

If I anticipate the recoil, I shoot low, if I apply side force on the trigger or squeeze my grip fingers while also my trigger finger, the shot goes left.... ...squeezing with the other fingers while pulling the other trigger seems to happen more often when I'm not used to the grip size and thus the position of my fingers.... ....and funny since my son shoots with the left hand and doesn't anticipate, but since the 1911 grip is so foreign to him compared to all his other pistols, he pulls off to the opposite direction but the same way when he's trying to get used to the much narrower grip....

You may have a definite single pattern on the target and it is the sights are off an MOA or two...

I dry fire my pistols, especially new ones, to get used the grip... ...and one thing I do, I dry fire not through the sights but looking at the pistol as a whole instead... ...when I have the grip right and my habits right, so I don't squeeze other fingers other than the trigger finger, the pistol is rock solid through the sear realease and striker coming to rest... ...when its not right, I can see the pistol pull to the left just a hair... ...its either me squeezing my fingers around the grip with the trigger OR I have my finger positioned wrong on the trigger (and that varies from pistol to pistol a bit) and the natural pull of my finger, the force from it, is not directed directly rearward the entire pull, it has side force to the pull because of placement of my fingertip on the trigger and that causes the pistol to pull to the left a bit.

When I jerk a shot, and I shoot infrequently enough that I jerk more than a few, its always low and to the left.

I'm assuming you're shooting right handed. My son shoots left handing and when he jerks shots they go right, and he only does it with my single stack 1911's, which has a narrower grip than all his double stacks.

So at least for me, cause you may be very different....

If I look close I can see two patterns overlapping on the target, one that are my good shots the other where I jerk shots.

If I anticipate the recoil, I shoot low, if I apply side force on the trigger or squeeze my grip fingers while also my trigger finger, the shot goes left.... ...squeezing with the other fingers while pulling the other trigger seems to happen more often when I'm not used to the grip size and thus the position of my fingers.... ....and funny since my son shoots with the left hand and doesn't anticipate, but since the 1911 grip is so foreign to him compared to all his other pistols, he pulls off to the opposite direction but the same way when he's trying to get used to the much narrower grip....

You may have a definite single pattern on the target and it is the sights are off an MOA or two...

I dry fire my pistols, especially new ones, to get used the grip... ...and one thing I do, I dry fire not through the sights but looking at the pistol as a whole instead... ...when I have the grip right and my habits right, so I don't squeeze other fingers other than the trigger finger, the pistol is rock solid through the sear realease and striker coming to rest... ...when its not right, I can see the pistol pull to the left just a hair... ...its either me squeezing my fingers around the grip with the trigger OR I have my finger positioned wrong on the trigger (and that varies from pistol to pistol a bit) and the natural pull of my finger, the force from it, is not directed directly rearward the entire pull, it has side force to the pull because of placement of my fingertip on the trigger and that causes the pistol to pull to the left a bit.
I’m sure this is what’s happening. I’m looking forward to more practice and getting stronger.

I’m sure this is what’s happening. I’m looking forward to more practice and getting stronger.
If you , or anyone for that matter , are having grip strength issues you might want to look at getting a Grip master . You can exercise your whole grip but also can isolate just your trigger finger. This will help you to move the trigger finger without squeezing the other fingers .

This is the link ---> https://www.amazon.com/Prohands-Str...=9022693&hvtargid=pla-318770998079&th=1&psc=1

If you , or anyone for that matter , are having grip strength issues you might want to look at getting a Grip master . You can exercise your whole grip but also can isolate just your trigger finger. This will help you to move the trigger finger without squeezing the other fingers .

This is the link ---> https://www.amazon.com/Prohands-Str...=9022693&hvtargid=pla-318770998079&th=1&psc=1
I'd only add, the first part and most important part is recognize you're doing it. Once you realize you're doing it you can correct it, you can do it with some practice with just yourself and the pistol, but a tool like in the link certainly can help and get far better at breaking the habits and being more consistent.

I'm a big believer in dry firing concentrating on the basic marksmanship techniques, and one the biggest concepts is creating a stable and steady platform for the weapon so that it remains unchanged through the trigger pull. I have found doing dry fire where you pull back your sight focus from the sights and just look down the slide, you can pick up if the pistol is moving as you pull the trigger and as it breaks, you can pick even finer movement than the sights. Once you pick that up its just a matter of analyzing what your doing that is causing the pistol to pull the tiniest bit as you pull the trigger.

What kind of a brass catcher do you use? Great shooting!!
That one is a caldwell catcher, it works fine but the plastic rods in it get weak over time and it starts to sag. this one will not sag, it's all metal frame and works great. It's a graco and sold on e bay. it's made to use with a camera tripod but i threw together a quick base for it.

20220912_154250.jpg
20220912_154308.jpg
20220912_154348.jpg
20220913_105032.jpg
20221007_083010.jpg
20230106_125109.jpg

Wow!! Why haven't I seen one of these before?? Alright, it's on my purchase list!!
THE only thing I have trouble with on my 10's is that they throw brass everywhere (way farther than any of my other pistols).
Thanks for the great pics!!

I have always wondered at the stories about how “hard to handle” the 10mm was/is. I never found that to be the case, ever. Seemed like excuses and/or CYA responses for poor shooting skills.

I have always wondered at the stories about how “hard to handle” the 10mm was/is. I never found that to be the case, ever. Seemed like excuses and/or CYA responses for poor shooting skills.
Your right! If you understand and practice the fundamentals, have a good master grip your good to go.

No complaints with the pistol but I’m not a real fan of the 10mm primarily because the ammo is expensive and hard to find at any price. Big bullets at high speed equals big recoil and noise which makes it harder to shoot also.
On the other hand it’s a contender if you live or work in bear country.
And yes, I’ve fired thousands of rounds of 10mm…
FWIW…
Have you been to this site for 10mm?

Back