testtest

XDMAN's first look at the Prodigy

I truly believe Springfield Armory produces the best pound for pound 1911's on the market. However, there are already plenty of 9mm pistols produced by Springfield Armory to include the 1911 platform. There is not even an XDm Elite produced in a full size .40 or 45. So, to be honest I am disappointed this was made in 9mm and not in a .45 ACP. Second of all if you do not purchase the model with the Hex optic you loose your rear sight. Why not sell the model without the Hex optic with the same slide as the one with the Hex optic? That way a customer could choose their own optic such as a Trijicon RMR or Holosun. Even though being disappointed in the caliber of the Prodigy, I would of considered it for purchase if it was not for it being a 9mm 1911 and losing the rear sight combined.

I truly believe Springfield Armory produces the best pound for pound 1911's on the market. However, there are already plenty of 9mm pistols produced by Springfield Armory to include the 1911 platform. There is not even an XDm Elite produced in a full size .40 or 45. So, to be honest I am disappointed this was made in 9mm and not in a .45 ACP. Second of all if you do not purchase the model with the Hex optic you loose your rear sight. Why not sell the model without the Hex optic with the same slide as the one with the Hex optic? That way a customer could choose their own optic such as a Trijicon RMR or Holosun. Even though being disappointed in the caliber of the Prodigy, I would of considered it for purchase if it was not for it being a 9mm 1911 and losing the rear sight combined.
You do not loose your rear. Springfield partnered with Agency Arms and has 6 plates that will fit most optics. The adapter plates have the rear sight built in so you do not loose the iron sights. Plus the mounting is so low that with most red dots you are still able to co witness. The non included Hex Dragon Fly version has a 7th Agency plate that has a traditional 1911 rear sight. All Prodigy slides are the exact same and come with the deep optics ready cut.

As for 9mm, sure it may disappoint some and in the article I mentioned that I have it on good word the Prodigy is the first of this series of Double Stack 1911’s for Springfield…..meaning you may get your wish. But for right now Springfield did a drive by shots fired directly taking on STI/Stacato.

View attachment 30323

Yes, in this model you do lose your rear sight if you want to add an optic. You should not have to purchase the one with the Hex optic just to not lose your rear sight when you add a red dot. Basically forcing you to purchase the red dot equipped model if you want to keep your rear sight. I understand taking on the STI Sticato, but again Springfield has produced many 9mm pistols. And as you can see on this and many other forums, the major disappointment is that the Prodigy is a 9mm. Accompany that with the fact that you lose your rear sight if you don't purchase the one with the attached Hex optic is why it was a disappointment for me.

As Springfield Armory produced firearm, I am willing to come out and say that the Prodigy is definitely an aesthetically pleasing pistol. I am confident that it is just as reliable as my TRP. But produced in a 9mm where you lose your rear sight when you add a red dot is not what I was expecting in a new double stack 1911.

As in the run of the Prodigy models, also thought it would of been developed in a .45ACP first then transition to the 9mm in later versions if the demand was there for it.
https://store.springfield-armory.com/agency-optic-system-aos-mounting-plate-prodigy/ all these plates have the rear sight. I dont see why you would "lose" it?

So, are you telling me that Springfield is selling the Prodigy with a rear iron sight on the plate cover and including a second Agency Arms plate with a second iron sight if you add an optic? Does it come with two sets of iron sights?
All Prodigy’s come with the Traditional 1911 rear sight plate. The Hex Dragongfly version also comes with the VortexVenom/Dragonfly plate that has an OSP rear sight on it. If you buy the Prodigy that does not come with the factory optic.…..you can order one of 6 plates each plate has a rear sight on it. You buy the plate that matches what ever optic foot print you want to use. A bonus is that the plates allow most optics to co witness with the irons that You do not loose The rear sight, an osp one is intalled on the plate you order.

So just confirmed it does come with a second set. That is impressive.
I think you will see most pistols go this way in the future. A couple of years ago it was hard to find a pistol that had an optic cut. Now optic cuts are almost standard and many are now configuring so that you don’t lose rear sights. I just bought a Shadow Systems DR920 that has a universal optic cut that does not require any plates at all and allows installed optics to sit low enough to co-witness with the stock sights.

I’m surprised to see a loaded chamber indicator in the top of the chamber. Sig did this early on with the X5 Legion and it created a lot of problems with fogging the red dot. Sig eventually dropped the LCI on the X5L and replaced the old barrels for free. I think competition guys in particular are going to complain about this.

a little preview before I post the full video. This was actually take two, First time shooting the Springfield Armory Prodigy. So it just makes sense to abuse it and see if she will work. Notice the slide is locked open. After 250 rounds All that fine stone dust, dirt, carbon and the factory gun oil turned into a nasty gritty tar like substance. -lease do not feel sorry for that pistol, I know someone who can fix it.

I've got mine already 🤭 i know but come on thats funny
Glock-17-Gen-5-MOS_main-1__45716.1589133061.jpg

Excellent review of the Prodigy. Certainly going to be my next purchase.

Excellent review of the Prodigy. Certainly going to be my next purchase.

Thanks for embedding this very timely review. Since am in the hunt for a top notch quality, reliable home defense/duty carry weapon platform, this review comes in handy. I'm a freshly minted member of the forum, relatively new to personal firearm ownership since exiting Law Enforcement (but still involved with quasi govt security outfits). Sootch00 is one of my top five go-to gun reviewers on YouTube so far.

All Prodigy’s come with the Traditional 1911 rear sight plate. The Hex Dragongfly version also comes with the VortexVenom/Dragonfly plate that has an OSP rear sight on it. If you buy the Prodigy that does not come with the factory optic.…..you can order one of 6 plates each plate has a rear sight on it. You buy the plate that matches what ever optic foot print you want to use. A bonus is that the plates allow most optics to co witness with the irons that You do not loose The rear sight, an osp one is intalled on the plate you order.
Just viewed your review on YouTube. Great review, thanks.

Back