testtest

Your feelings on cast frames on 1911’s

Back in the day there was a lot of "Pot Metal" being used and the metal was a combination of a lot of low melting point metals like Zinc. I remember having some toy planes made of it and the wings would break of. :ROFLMAO: I do remember being told by the grandfather that pot metal was garbage and don't buy anything made of it. Forged of course relates to steel and the wings stay on. Models that is, real planes wouldn't be able to fly!!
As you say cast may not mean the same as Pot Metal now. Goodness, we have poly frames so cast is most likely fine. Quite possible we have some and don't even know it.....:unsure:

Well, if the company is not fly by night and offers a lifetime Warranty you should not even worry. If it breaks and its a decent company they will cover it. Will warn you about Remington one of my contract stores has had zero luck with Remington customer service and warranty. They were such buttholes they paid me fix the guns instead of continuing to deal with them.

I choose forged. Theres only 2 companies Ill buy a 1911 from and thats Colt and Springfield. I will not pay for custom built guns ever again. I prefer the design from years gone by. I dont particularly care for slides so tight that a grain of sand will jam them. The original designs that served in harms way are different than todays guns. They were looser and more tolerant for combat use. Ive owned a few high end guns in the past and they all got sent down the road. The performance increase was marginal compared to their massive price tags.
MIM parts can be good, if the company buying them chooses such. Kimber for instance, years back were buying garbage parts from a supplier in India and charging top tier prices only to have them fail. Sigs are loaded with mim too. The last I herd the guy in charge buying for kimber has went to sig. whether or not hes still with them today is another story.
Colt utilizes the least mim parts. Only 4 I believe. Mim to me is kinda moot as if Im worried about it I just replace said part with something thats made better.
Frames are the one thing I wouldn’t want to cheap out on. Even forged ones can crack, but they seem to be less susceptible to it. I avoid alloy completely in a 1911. Alloy was never intended to be used in the pistols original design. Ymmv.

I may have a couple. Does anyone have a cast frame that has failed or even cracked? And if so I may be trading off a couple. I know I have a rock island. But I also have polymer uppers and lowers on some ARs. When they came out I thought it was a stupid idea! Until one of my officers said. sir, isn’t a poly AR just like the glocks we all carry? Boy did I feel enlightened.

I may have a couple. Does anyone have a cast frame that has failed or even cracked? And if so I may be trading off a couple. I know I have a rock island. But I also have polymer uppers and lowers on some ARs. When they came out I thought it was a stupid idea! Until one of my officers said. sir, isn’t a poly AR just like the glocks we all carry? Boy did I feel enlightened.
And now we are nearly at the point of printing our own guns and ammo in the privacy of our own home. Got to make sure that 3D printers are not permitted in our correctional system! o_O

Well, if the company is not fly by night and offers a lifetime Warranty you should not even worry. If it breaks and its a decent company they will cover it. Will warn you about Remington one of my contract stores has had zero luck with Remington customer service and warranty. They were such buttholes they paid me fix the guns instead of continuing to deal with them.
I have always heard Remington was bad with there customer service, I have dealt with Colt’s and S&W, with no issues.

Back