testtest

SHTF Apocalyptic Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best SHTF apocalyptic movie you've seen?

I thought the Road was really good for a post apocalyptic movie.

The man and his young son traveling on foot trying to find food and sanctuary in post apocalyptic America while trying to dodge cannibals and other dangerous types of people was pretty depressing but almost realistic.

What movie do you like, can you list a description.
A recent one was "Light of My Life" with Casey Affleck. Quiet but effective and had some pretty good bushcraft scenes: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6063090/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

What is the best SHTF apocalyptic movie you've seen?

I thought the Road was really good for a post apocalyptic movie.

The man and his young son traveling on foot trying to find food and sanctuary in post apocalyptic America while trying to dodge cannibals and other dangerous types of people was pretty depressing but almost realistic.

What movie do you like, can you list a description.
The usual suspects:

• Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (the first two were okay, but I just like Tina Turner in her prime). Two men enter. One man leave.
  • Book of Eli: Because anyone who can memorize the entire KJV and take out bad guys is okay in my book
  • Edge of Tomorrow: Okay, so it has Tom Cruise, and it's not technically "post" apocalyptic, but I enjoyed the "Groundhog Day" vibe and, well, I'm just a sucker for Tom Cruise action films
  • The Matrix: "Can you fly a helicopter?"... "Not yet." I love the original. Scenes, wardrobe, story, concept... love it
  • Planet of the Apes (the original with Charlton Heston). Not sure if this qualifies, but I think the original is still the best. That said, the 2001 remake with Mark Wahlberg was also good. Latter version also came with all-star cast and cameo by the original astronaut, Heston as an ape, of all things.
  • Honorable Mention 1: Zombieland. I am not a fan of Zombie stuff (except maybe the Zombie mode in CoD), but this film takes what I think is a ridiculous premise and adds a cool storyline and much-needed humor.
  • Honorable Mention 2: Mortal Engines. Interesting story with a distinct steam punk vibe.

The usual suspects:

• Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (the first two were okay, but I just like Tina Turner in her prime). Two men enter. One man leave.
  • Book of Eli: Because anyone who can memorize the entire KJV and take out bad guys is okay in my book
  • Edge of Tomorrow: Okay, so it has Tom Cruise, and it's not technically "post" apocalyptic, but I enjoyed the "Groundhog Day" vibe and, well, I'm just a sucker for Tom Cruise action films
  • The Matrix: "Can you fly a helicopter?"... "Not yet." I love the original. Scenes, wardrobe, story, concept... love it
  • Planet of the Apes (the original with Charlton Heston). Not sure if this qualifies, but I think the original is still the best. That said, the 2001 remake with Mark Wahlberg was also good. Latter version also came with all-star cast and cameo by the original astronaut, Heston as an ape, of all things.
  • Honorable Mention 1: Zombieland. I am not a fan of Zombie stuff (except maybe the Zombie mode in CoD), but this film takes what I think is a ridiculous premise and adds a cool storyline and much-needed humor.
  • Honorable Mention 2: Mortal Engines. Interesting story with a distinct steam punk vibe.
Good stuff! 😁👍

All listed are great films that I either watch whenever they're on, or forgot about and will watch when I stumble on them.
Train to busan was absolutely fantastic for a zombie flick. I am surprised no one mentioned the girl with all the gifts. That was kinda, "out there." The foreign market has produced some real winners as of late.

All listed are great films that I either watch whenever they're on, or forgot about and will watch when I stumble on them.
Train to busan was absolutely fantastic for a zombie flick. I am surprised no one mentioned the girl with all the gifts. That was kinda, "out there." The foreign market has produced some real winners as of late.
Hollywood's US market is too worried about pandering to the woke snowflakes that most studios wont make any apocalyptic movies worth watching these days.

Can you give the other members a brief description of the movies you listed?

Alien (1979)

On its way back to Earth, the commercial spaceship USCSS Nostromo is diverted to a desolate planetoid by a cryptic signal from a derelict alien spacecraft. While exploring the alien ship, one of the Nostromo's crewmen discovers the remains of the ship's pilot and also a large chamber that contains thousands of egg-like objects. One of the eggs releases a creature that attaches itself to his face and renders him unconscious. The others break quarantine to bring him back aboard the ship. The parasite dies and the crewman wakes up, seemingly fine. Soon afterwards, an alien organism bursts from his chest and grows extremely rapidly into a terrifying eight-foot (about 2.5 meters) tall creature that starts killing off the crew.

Aliens (1986)

After 57 years in hypersleep, the sole survivor of the USCSS Nostromo, Ellen Ripley, awakens aboard a medical space station orbiting Earth. Her story of the Alien terror she encountered is disbelieved and she learns that the planetoid from the first film (now designated as LV-426 or Acheron) is now home to a terraforming colony. When contact with the colony is lost, Ripley, against her better judgment and to regain her pilot's license, hesitantly accompanies a squad of high-tech Elite Colonial Marines aboard the spaceship USS Sulaco to investigate. Once there, they discover the colonists have been wiped out after finding the derelict alien ship (and its deadly cargo) from the first film.

3653279663_56c825c0bb_o.jpg

“In space, no one can hear you scream”

Alien (1979)

On its way back to Earth, the commercial spaceship USCSS Nostromo is diverted to a desolate planetoid by a cryptic signal from a derelict alien spacecraft. While exploring the alien ship, one of the Nostromo's crewmen discovers the remains of the ship's pilot and also a large chamber that contains thousands of egg-like objects. One of the eggs releases a creature that attaches itself to his face and renders him unconscious. The others break quarantine to bring him back aboard the ship. The parasite dies and the crewman wakes up, seemingly fine. Soon afterwards, an alien organism bursts from his chest and grows extremely rapidly into a terrifying eight-foot (about 2.5 meters) tall creature that starts killing off the crew.

Aliens (1986)

After 57 years in hypersleep, the sole survivor of the USCSS Nostromo, Ellen Ripley, awakens aboard a medical space station orbiting Earth. Her story of the Alien terror she encountered is disbelieved and she learns that the planetoid from the first film (now designated as LV-426 or Acheron) is now home to a terraforming colony. When contact with the colony is lost, Ripley, against her better judgment and to regain her pilot's license, hesitantly accompanies a squad of high-tech Elite Colonial Marines aboard the spaceship USS Sulaco to investigate. Once there, they discover the colonists have been wiped out after finding the derelict alien ship (and its deadly cargo) from the first film.

View attachment 2057

“In space, no one can hear you scream”
Thanks Tayln!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back