testtest

EMP FAILURE TO FEED

Guess I will have to rethink that
My Hellcat is picky. Do you have a micrometer? Measure the length of rounds you have trouble with vs the rounds that feed easily. Is there a difference?
My Kimber carry in 9mm would not shoot 115gr. which is why I shoot 124gr in all my 9mm.

So after my last statement I looked in the difference between 115 and 124 because I made an arbitrary decision to use
124gr 9mm in all my 9mm pistols. Looks like it wasnt a bad decision, but not the best.
So I read this article: 124 vs 115 gr
and arbitrarily decided to shoot only 45acp.

The more precision tolerances you have in a pistol the more fussy they are about ammo. Precision made combat handguns want quality full power service ammo-that's the standard they are manufactured to. Guns with loose tolerances are not as fussy but may be more subject to other failures.

So after my last statement I looked in the difference between 115 and 124 because I made an arbitrary decision to use
124gr 9mm in all my 9mm pistols. Looks like it wasnt a bad decision, but not the best.
So I read this article: 124 vs 115 gr
and arbitrarily decided to shoot only 45acp.
I prefer .45 myself, but arbitrarily deciding to ONLY shoot it isn't on my agenda. As for 124 v 115, I too only shoot 124. Initially it was because I was told some German semi autos liked to be broken in with heavier rounds before they would reliably cycle 115. As it turns out they simply are more accurate with 124 than they are 115 or 147. At least mine are in my hands.

Anyway, it is possible or even likely that after shooting a bunch of 124 gr. your gun may handle the 115 gr. just fine. Springs probably just a little tight at first.

I try to use ball ammo with a new gun. Some ogives (nose profile) have introduced trouble with feeding on some of my guns. You're lucky if you find a gun swallows everything without issue. Some want to be very broken in, such as 500 rounds. If you find you have tried multiple weights, shapes and brands, you definitely have an issue with the manufacturer.

OK. MY EMP IS ON ITS WAY BACK FROM SPRINGFIELD FOR THE SECOND TIME. Springfield states that there tech ran 100 rounds of FMJ through the firearm and two mags. of hollow points with no failures, WE'LL SEE. Any advice of how to proceed if the failures continue. Considering my present EDC is a Glock 36 a sub compact 45 that i have no problems shooting. I cannot believe it could be a limp wrist problem.
Check the form that should come back with your firearm. It should give a breakdown of what repairs were made if any.

Anyone know if Wilson Combat mags. will work with the 3 inch EMP with 9 round mags?
No, emp mags are proprietary. They are not equivalent to normal 1911 magazines.

The EMP is not a 1911, it is a 1911 designed pistol created and designed around the 9mm cartridge. Same way the current Browning 1911 is a 1911 design based around the 380 acp.
20210530_130407.jpg

I picked up a new Ronin EMP 3" last night as a retirement gift to myself. I already have an Emissary .45 ACP 4.25" and a Ronin 10mm.

Went to the range today and fired off 100 rounds of MagTech FMJ, worked perfectly. Tried a box of Hornady Critical Defense next and the problems started. Not a grip issue, I have a good grip on things.

9 rounds in the mag, released the slide and it did not fully seat the round. After that, the rounds started diving nose down into the feed ramp almost every round. Didn't matter if it was the first or 9th round in the mag. Sometimes it would feed a second round, but then the 3rd would do it again. Finished the box of 25 and called it a day.

I know 125 rounds is not a break-in and could be part of the problem with the Critical Defense, but with the high price of ammo, both range and defense ammo, I'm not going to keep shooting if there are issues with this and SA CS needs to get involved. I am going to fire off another 150 rounds of the FMJ MagTech and then try the Critical Defense again.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

IMG_5731.jpg

I picked up a new Ronin EMP 3" last night as a retirement gift to myself. I already have an Emissary .45 ACP 4.25" and a Ronin 10mm.

Went to the range today and fired off 100 rounds of MagTech FMJ, worked perfectly. Tried a box of Hornady Critical Defense next and the problems started. Not a grip issue, I have a good grip on things.

9 rounds in the mag, released the slide and it did not fully seat the round. After that, the rounds started diving nose down into the feed ramp almost every round. Didn't matter if it was the first or 9th round in the mag. Sometimes it would feed a second round, but then the 3rd would do it again. Finished the box of 25 and called it a day.

I know 125 rounds is not a break-in and could be part of the problem with the Critical Defense, but with the high price of ammo, both range and defense ammo, I'm not going to keep shooting if there are issues with this and SA CS needs to get involved. I am going to fire off another 150 rounds of the FMJ MagTech and then try the Critical Defense again.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

View attachment 25348
The issue is quite likely the Critical Defects.

The rubber “brake pad” in the nose is known to cause failures to feed in several different pistols.

Additionally, handguns have their idiosyncrasies; just because one handgun will feed it, even if it’s the consecutive serial number to yours, is no guarantee yours will…there’s nothing wrong with your pistol.

I’d try a different JHP. Bet it feeds just fine.

(ETA—nice autocorrect typo, with “Defects” for “Defense”…I’ll just let it be)

Last edited:
Back