testtest

Possible Wounded Bear

He is a young boar approximately 7 foot and four to five hundred pounds, but probably closer to four hundred. He would have been two to three hundred pounds heavier going into winter at the end of next fall. This bear would have been huge! Well over 10 foot and at the very least 1200 lbs if he had reached maturity!
IMG_20220503_212128502_HDR.jpgIMG_20220503_212314081.jpgIMG_20220503_212230545.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent question! I myself was wondering if I had killed the wrong bear. But being as the bruin was stalking me and I didn't even know he was close until I heard him coming up behind me. I really didn't have a choice Keystone. When I heard him and turned around. He was at about twelve yards away by the time I had shouldered my rifle and let fly with the first shot. I took him down about 700 yards behind our houses. He was less than 300yrds from where 10 year old Ryan had almost ran into him on his little motor cycle. Ryan and Ryan's mom and dad came over to verify it was the same bear. Ryan said it is definitely the same size and color as the bear he came across. Ryan's dad said it was the same bear in the pictures on his trail cams taken in his yard as well. Two other neighbors that had seen the bear over the last couple weeks also agreed it was the same size and color as the bear they had seen. I personally had never seen the bear hanging around our community digging in dumpsters and neighbors compost piles and roaming amungst the houses until I had him in my cross hairs yesterday evening. This bear showed no sign of being afraid of me. Just the opposite. It is only the second bear I've killed in my life. The first also being a problem bear but even worse than this one and I've had plenty of other opportunities in the past to kill many more but didn't. I have a tremendous amount of respect for these magnificent animals and have no reason to kill one other than if one becomes a safety issue in our village. I'm very confident I got the right bear! If I did kill the wrong bear than that is something I will have to deal with personally myself, but I seriously doubt he's is the wrong bear. If we continue seeing a bear the same size and color around our community. That means only one of two things. I shot the wrong bear or two bears have been hanging around. I harvested a young male teenager that I wish I didn't have to. He is no mature trophy by any means. Now I have to skin him, take him in to town to ADF&G to get recorded and sealed, and spend the $500 cost of getting the hide tanned. If I do decide to have a rug or mount made out of it. I will donate the animal to our public library or school. I'll keep you posted. Shoot fun, shoot safe, and shoot straight!

Last edited:
Excellent question! I myself was wondering if I had killed the wrong bear. But being as the bruin was stalking me and I didn't even know he was close until I heard him coming up behind me. I really didn't have a choice Keystone. When I heard him and turned around. He was at about twelve yards away by the time I had shouldered my rifle and let fly with the first shot. I took him down about 700 yards behind our houses. He was less than 300yrds from where 10 year old Ryan had almost ran into him on his little motor cycle. Ryan and Ryan's mom and dad came over to verify it was the same bear. Ryan said it is definitely the same size and color as the bear he came across. Ryan's dad said it was the same bear in the pictures on his trail cams taken in his yard as well. Two other neighbors that had seen the bear over the last couple weeks also agreed it was the same size and color as the bear they had seen. This bear showed no sign of being afraid of me. Just the opposite. It is only the second bear I've killed in my life and I've had plenty of other opportunities in the past to kill more. The first also being a problem bear but even worse than this one. I have a tremendous amount of respect for these magnificent animals and have no reason to kill one other than if one becomes a safety issue in our village. I'm very confident I got the right bear! If I did kill the wrong bear than that is something I will have to deal personally with myself, but I seriously doubt he's is the wrong bear. If we continue seeing a bear the same size and color around or community. That means only one of two things. I shot the wrong bear or two bears have been hanging around. I'll keep you posted. Shoot fun, shoot safe, and shoot straight!
So that now a community has been built in this area it (now) belongs to humans.
Hmmm
I can’t help but wonder how long during the time (before) humans moved into that area the wildlife considered that area theirs. Humans move in then start killing things that are in there element doing what they do. (Trying to survive)
Hey I get it, can’t figure out a way to live with then kill it.

So that now a community has been built in this area it (now) belongs to humans.
Hmmm
I can’t help but wonder how long during the time (before) humans moved into that area the wildlife considered that area theirs. Humans move in then start killing things that are in there element doing what they do. (Trying to survive)
Hey I get it, can’t figure out a way to live with then kill it.
Unfortunately sad but true. This Island belonged to the Brown Bear long before man moved in, but if taking out this bear makes our community a safer place? Than the bear didn't die for no reason or to just be displayed in someones trophy collection and there is definitely no shortage of bears on the Island. Like I said earlier. It's the second bear that has caused a problem in our community in twenty years. Let's hope it's the last.

Unfortunately sad but true. This Island belonged to the Brown Bear long before man moved in, but if taking out this bear makes our community a safer place? Than the bear didn't die for no reason or to just be displayed in someones trophy collection and there is definitely no shortage of bears on the Island. Like I said earlier. It's the second bear that has caused a problem in our community in twenty years. Let's hope it's the last.
Right so it’s the bears fault that he almost got hit by a person riding a dirt bike.
Was wildlife management called in for the possibility of capture and relocation? Sounds to me like………
Judge, jury and executioner.

No reason to respond I’m done with this thread.

Right so it’s the bears fault that he almost got hit by a person riding a dirt bike.
Was wildlife management called in for the possibility of capture and relocation? Sounds to me like………

Wish it was that easy...

Same deal here:

It sounds like it was pretty much a community decision that your bear was a threat to public safety just like the polar bear in Quebec. It's common knowledge that a bear has a small brain compared to humans; however, a bear's sense of smell is a million times better than ours. That bear probably smelled you from more than a mile away, and just may have decided to ruin your day. Twelve yards is only 36 feet, and your survival time was probably under 5 seconds if the bear had wanted a taste. The fact that you were armed was your only advantage in that situation. I'd hate to think how it would have ended if you'd only had a stick in your hand! I'm sure bears are a constant threat to folks in your area, and the chance of a bear confrontation is better than a 50/50 chance. I'd only shoot a bear if I had to which seems to me to be the situation you were in. Now, when's the bear roast?

99% of the time a Kodiak Brown Bear will run in the opposite direction when it's busted by people or even at the smell of people. Older ones are wise and will almost always run. It's always the younger ones that are braver twords people.

Yes this bear smelled me and started stalking me long before he was near me. A friend of mine and I are getting ready to skin it out. We positioned it for a few pictures first. It's one side has a very strong detergent smell to it. Exactly like fabric softener. He was obviously laying under a dryer vent behind a neighbors house recently or for several nights. Probably to help stay warm. The right bear has been terminated most definitely!IMG_20220504_062756142~2.jpg

Last edited:
It took pretty much all morning to skin this bear without help. The hide squared exactly seven foot, so it's safe to say he was a seven foot bear. Not big by any means, but certainly not small either.
IMG_20220504_114337010_HDR.jpg
It will cost me $500 to have the taxidermist turn the ears, nose, lips, and paws and do a final fleshing. Then cost me another $500 to have it tanned. To have made Into a rug is much more. The community can pay for a rug or mount if so diesired. Either way $1000 is a small price to pay for terminating this bear during open season. Hopefully it prevented someone from getting mauled especially a child! I've been getting thankyou calls all morning from other parents in the community. I feel I did the right thing and the ADF&G would agree!

I don't get bear hunting for sport or anything hunting for sport, but it doesn't sound to me like that's what this was. Yeah, this island used to belong to Bears. Not this bear though. And it's not Cowboy's fault that man has encroached in something else's territory. Where your house is used to belong to some Indians. You gonna give it back to them or????????

I've talked to Cowboy enough to know he doesn't just like to kill shite. I understand your feelings, I mean I feel bad for the bear too. So does Cowboy. I think you're judging him totally unfairly. You aren't there, you don't know the situation on the ground and all the information we have about this particular situation sounds like that particular bear was not suited to be anywhere near humans. I don't think there was much of a choice here.

I don't get bear hunting for sport or anything hunting for sport, but it doesn't sound to me like that's what this was. Yeah, this island used to belong to Bears. Not this bear though. And it's not Cowboy's fault that man has encroached in something else's territory. Where your house is used to belong to some Indians. You gonna give it back to them or????????

I've talked to Cowboy enough to know he doesn't just like to kill shite. I understand your feelings, I mean I feel bad for the bear too. So does Cowboy. I think you're judging him totally unfairly. You aren't there, you don't know the situation on the ground and all the information we have about this particular situation sounds like that particular bear was not suited to be anywhere near humans. I don't think there was much of a choice here.
👍👍 A lot of late evenings and a few early mornings trying to pattern this bear and make a decision on killing it. Why would I waste that kind of time on an addalesunt bear when I could be hunting mature adults for better bragging rights just as easily or easier. Hunting one particular bear takes time. Having an opportunitie at one of several different bears takes less time. I certainly didn't want to kill this bear. The only thing going through my mind when looking at that bear in the cross hairs before squeezing the trigger was sorrow and hoping I had the right bear. Even though He was heading right twords me. I wasn't scared at all. I had the drop on him quick enough not to be scared. I was bummed out more than anything that it was time to kill the animal, and that's the truth. Sure I took a few pictures. Stuff like that doesn't happen every day. Regardless how many bears are on this Island. Bears typically most always stay away from people. This wasn't solely my desission. This is a problem that simply happens in Alaska as well as other parts of the world. It wasn't the first and won't be the last. Hopefully in our community. It won't happen again, but if it does. I and others here will do what we feel is necessary and most likely have the support of the ADF&G in the matter as well. Thankyou BassBob for understanding . Much appreciated. 👍

And i poke holes in paper with a .22 rifle at an indoor range in jersey…. I’d get eaten alive in Alaska! Bahahahahaha!
I assure you it's not that bad up here! Other states with black bear have just as many if not more bear problems than Alaska simply due to the fact that there is a bigger population of people over lapping black bear habitat in the lower 48. In fact. Most of Alaska's bear problems are associated with black bear over brown bear.

I assure you it's not that bad up here! Other states with black bear have just as many if not more bear problems than Alaska simply due to the fact that there is a bigger population of people over lapping black bear habitat in the lower 48. In fact. Most of Alaska's bear problems are associated with black bear over brown bear.
Just joshin’ ya.
Nj has more and more black bear encounters each year. Partially due to opposition to a bear season and partly due to people moving further west into the more rural areas. yes, we have natural areas here. Some of which are quite beautiful.

Back