testtest

Why I EDC a 9mm 1911

Good article, I don’t think I could carry a full size 1911 for EDC, but I have been thinking of the EMP model. Good article Mike.
I very rarely carry my full size but do carry an EMP Contour on occasion. Once we get into shorts weather (weak waistband with a strong waist ;) ) I will carry a lighter plastic gun for the majority of my EDC. The full size gets carried at the lease, woods, and sometimes the range. My Contour
EMP Carry (2).jpg

I am glad you are happy with your 1911 9MM. From my experience carrying a full sized 1911 I found that it was just too heavy and large to comfortably carry concealed. I love shooting my AMT Hardballer and it would be a great duty or woods carry gun. I have to agree with SMSgtRod that I will stick with 45 ACP unless my son decides to give me one of his 10MMs. ;)

I carried a full size 1911 (Baer Custom Carry) for several years; with a good belt and holster, or wasn’t difficult, or uncomfortable; in fact, I think in a good IWB holster (I like a Sparks Summer Special), it was a lot more comfortable—and concealable—than most double stack plastic fantastics carried the same way. Dress to accommodate the gun, and it’s well concealed.

I started carrying lighter guns a few years ago because of issues with my hips; I will still carry my 1911 from time to time, but not every day anymore...and when I do, more often than not I’ve switched to a shoulder holster (Galco Miami Classic). Works great for long drives...and beats the chandelier o' gear effect around the waist.

When it comes to balancing power, accuracy, and control in a handgun...the 1911 is awfully hard to beat.

I carried a full size 1911 (Baer Custom Carry) for several years; with a good belt and holster, or wasn’t difficult, or uncomfortable; in fact, I think in a good IWB holster (I like a Sparks Summer Special), it was a lot more comfortable—and concealable—than most double stack plastic fantastics carried the same way. Dress to accommodate the gun, and it’s well concealed.

I started carrying lighter guns a few years ago because of issues with my hips; I will still carry my 1911 from time to time, but not every day anymore...and when I do, more often than not I’ve switched to a shoulder holster (Galco Miami Classic). Works great for long drives...and beats the chandelier o' gear effect around the waist.

When it comes to balancing power, accuracy, and control in a handgun...the 1911 is awfully hard to beat.
Man, I LOVE my Miami Classic!

I am glad you are happy with your 1911 9MM. From my experience carrying a full sized 1911 I found that it was just too heavy and large to comfortably carry concealed. I love shooting my AMT Hardballer and it would be a great duty or woods carry gun. I have to agree with SMSgtRod that I will stick with 45 ACP unless my son decides to give me one of his 10MMs. ;)
10mm is my next act of heresy to commit towards the Church of John Browning! I’m getting the TRP RMR Heavy Operator next.. the only experience I have with 10 is with the Glock line of 29, 20, and 40. I’m excited to get into this caliber with a steel-frame pistol.

Most of the time I carry my Ruger lwt cmd.iwb.Just ordered a Nelson leather iwb with a padded back.Will see how that works.How far up the mountains do You live?I'm in the foot of the hills.in Hickory.

Although I shoot 1911's better than their polymer cousins I don't like a safety on an EDC. A discussion for another day. However I have been trying to get over this and bought a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in .45 which is easy to carry. But my Kimber 9mm 1911 shoots really well and with 9mm 1911's you have the feed ramp which aids with JHPs. So I ordered a Commander sized Kimber Aegis in 9mm. 9mm ballistics have really improved and since I no longer shoot in competition I don't worry about making major.

Back