testtest

What are we reading?

I mainly read history or most often military history. Right now I'm reading "Rogue Heroes" by Ben Macintyre and "Paddy Mayne" by Hamish Ross. Both are about some of the original members of the British S.A.S. As they would say, "Jolly good".
Great book. MacIntyre has several popular histories on WWII topics. All are good reads.
You might also check out Rick Atkinson's books on WW2.

This is a classic that you will want to read again and again

Attachments

• 51CiCa7ug+L._AC_SY780_DpWeblab_.jpg
    51CiCa7ug+L._AC_SY780_DpWeblab_.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 60
I have a large bookshelf filled with books on the early presidents, Civil War, American West, gunfighters, old West guns, guns, gold mining, Indians, etc. I currently read e books I download for free, mostly detective or legal fiction or online content on guns. I did purchase a paper copy of 1984 since the current climate was so scary and the content was blurry since I read it in high school.

I have a large bookshelf filled with books on the early presidents, Civil War, American West, gunfighters, old West guns, guns, gold mining, Indians, etc. I currently read e books I download for free, mostly detective or legal fiction or online content on guns. I did purchase a paper copy of 1984 since the current climate was so scary and the content was blurry since I read it in high school.
I just re-read 1984 a few months ago....I last read it in high school (circa 1984, go figure). It was not as good as I had remembered, while also scary revealing our government today and how closely it resembled that in the novel.

Im really contemplating getting the WW3 series from the mid ‘80s:
The Guardians
I read every one of them as a teen ager.

View attachment 35759
Got the entire series on my bookshelf. Had them back in the day, sold thrm off at a used book store and then bought them last year again to read. They are pretty good, with the last couple being a bit more of a stretch as they went.

Agreed. I was an avid reader of all of the Clancy novels. Once I started reading them I couldn’t put them down.
Unfortunately they haven't aged well.

20230128_092723.jpg

The first Tom Clancy novel I ever read was "The Cardinal of The Kremlin". I bought it in the stars and stripes bookstore on Peden Barracks in 1989. I ended up buying all of them. The last one I read or bought was Command Authority, which I think was the last one that Tom Clancy actually wrote before he died. I have no interest in the Jack Ryan Jr books or anything that was published after Tom Clancy's death

Last edited:
20230128_093402.jpg

Don't get me started on books. Books are like souvenirs to me. There is a story behind almost every single book I've bought.

I found this book sitting on an oil drum at the Battalion Trains during an FTX at the Grafenwoehr training center. There is an oil stain on the title page. I probably stole it from somebody. But the first time I read it I was in the field. The author was talking about what a pain in the ass it was getting out of a 113 with your LBE on and carrying an M16. He talked about how bad the dehydrated peaches in an MRE sucked and what it was like to go days on 3 hours of sleep at best. He was talking about all this stuff while I was in the field living it.

I think that's why I really like this book so much because I could relate to everything in it except the part about fighting Russians.

Unfortunately, after he wrote this book he started getting stupid

Don't get me started on books. Books are like souvenirs to me. There is a story behind almost every single book I've bought.

I found this book sitting on an oil drum at the Battalion Trains during an FTX at the Grafenwoehr training center. There is an oil stain on the title page. I probably stole it from somebody. But the first time I read it I was in the field. The author was talking about what a pain in the ass it was getting out of a 113 with your LBE on and carrying an M16. He talked about how bad the dehydrated peaches in an MRE sucked and what it was like to go days on 3 hours of sleep at best. He was talking about all this stuff while I was in the field living it.

I think that's why I really like this book so much because I could relate to everything in it except the part about fighting Russians.

Unfortunately, after he wrote this book he started getting stupid
Oh, I remember Graf, freakin' COLD in the Winter. 🥶

Back