testtest

Taurus G3C 9mm FTF issue

LOL, don't you hate that? It's like taking your car to the mechanic and you can't replicate the weird noise it's been making for 50k miles......I'm glad it's working sir, that's always a good thing. I've just started carrying Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty in my G3C and I don't worry about it at all, the only reason I was irritated is that I have 5 other 9mm handguns and I load them all with 147 Federal HST, have for years, without any issues whatsoever. I guess handguns can be picky....

Ya I've never experienced that either. I'm taking it to the range tonight to see how it goes with some rounds down range. If it runs without issue then I'll be good with giving it to my wife.

My Ruger 57 just came in yesterday and I'm super excited to put that one through its paces! I've also got 100 rounds of Elite ammunitions T6B on order for that one. That's a super spicy load, but I'll just be shooting the american eagle ss195 fmjs tonight.

Ya I've never experienced that either. I'm taking it to the range tonight to see how it goes with some rounds down range. If it runs without issue then I'll be good with giving it to my wife.

My Ruger 57 just came in yesterday and I'm super excited to put that one through its paces! I've also got 100 rounds of Elite ammunitions T6B on order for that one. That's a super spicy load, but I'll just be shooting the american eagle ss195 fmjs tonight.
Let us know how it runs. I'm going to a bit of polishing on the feed ramp with a dremel this weekend and see if that makes any difference.

I'm having the same problem with my G3 that I picked up this March. I've been hitting the range at least biweekly since the ranges opened back up down here in South Florida, and have put a good 500 rounds through the G3 so far. Not one jam and only a couple of rounds that required a double strike to fire (which I'm not really concerned about since it has been maybe one in 100).
I picked up a G3C for my wife last week and we took it to the range to break it in. After we checked out of the lane, I picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 124 grain HST. Got home, took apart both guns and cleaned/lubricated them and then filled all the mags with the HST. I always run a feed test of every weapon I reassemble and immediately, I got the exact same problem in my G3. It seems the front of the HST round gets stuck at the very bottom of the feed ramp in the mouth of the bullet. Not every one, but it seems like every third round. Swapped mags, same problem. I emptied and refilled the mags with the Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ and I can't get a mis-feed. These are just cycle tests - slide back, insert mag, drop slide, round HST round gets hung up; swap ammo back to FMJ and it's happy.
It almost seems like there's just a hair too much movement of the barrel/feed ramp where it meets the body and the barrel/feed ramp is leaving a gap for the mouth of the HST to catch, but I can't replicate that condition manually. I'm also thinking that the angles of the body where it meets the feed ramp is slightly different, so that may be contributing to the problem but I'm extremely hesitant to mess with it since it's really difficult to add back composite material to the lower...
I'm actually concerned about carrying the HST since this is my EDC.
Does this also sound like polishing the feed ramp could help? It's a challenge to find an indoor range here that allows anything but FMJ and I don't want take a chance with a mis-feed if I'm in a situation where I need it.
Also...I've noticed that the ammo is not all the same length. The majority of the rounds are consistent, but several seem to be up to several mm shorter. I'm thinking that may be a contributing factor as well.

I'm having the same problem with my G3 that I picked up this March. I've been hitting the range at least biweekly since the ranges opened back up down here in South Florida, and have put a good 500 rounds through the G3 so far. Not one jam and only a couple of rounds that required a double strike to fire (which I'm not really concerned about since it has been maybe one in 100).
I picked up a G3C for my wife last week and we took it to the range to break it in. After we checked out of the lane, I picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 124 grain HST. Got home, took apart both guns and cleaned/lubricated them and then filled all the mags with the HST. I always run a feed test of every weapon I reassemble and immediately, I got the exact same problem in my G3. It seems the front of the HST round gets stuck at the very bottom of the feed ramp in the mouth of the bullet. Not every one, but it seems like every third round. Swapped mags, same problem. I emptied and refilled the mags with the Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ and I can't get a mis-feed. These are just cycle tests - slide back, insert mag, drop slide, round HST round gets hung up; swap ammo back to FMJ and it's happy.
It almost seems like there's just a hair too much movement of the barrel/feed ramp where it meets the body and the barrel/feed ramp is leaving a gap for the mouth of the HST to catch, but I can't replicate that condition manually. I'm also thinking that the angles of the body where it meets the feed ramp is slightly different, so that may be contributing to the problem but I'm extremely hesitant to mess with it since it's really difficult to add back composite material to the lower...
I'm actually concerned about carrying the HST since this is my EDC.
Does this also sound like polishing the feed ramp could help? It's a challenge to find an indoor range here that allows anything but FMJ and I don't want take a chance with a mis-feed if I'm in a situation where I need it.
Also...I've noticed that the ammo is not all the same length. The majority of the rounds are consistent, but several seem to be up to several mm shorter. I'm thinking that may be a contributing factor as well.
I'm very glad you posted this sir. I used a dremel last weekend to polish my feed ramp and the lip on the lower part of the G3C, no difference at all as far as failure to feed malfunctions. Like you said, about 1 in 3 or maybe 1 in 5 jam when you try to chamber the 147 grain HST round. I then loaded several 12 round magazines with a mixture of Winchester 147 grain white box JHP, Remington 147 grain JHP and the HST, about four rounds of each scattered throughout the magazine. The HST jammed on about half of its rounds, the other kinds of JHP chambered flawlessly. I have not been able to replicate the error in my G3 or G2C at all, both handguns feed the HST JHP rounds without issue, it's just the G3C. I see the same thing you are seeing, it very much seems like there is more movement of the barrel/feed ramp where it meets the lower part of the handgun. There's a gap where the two parts meet and that small diameter nose cone on the HST combined with the very pronounced serrations on the nose cone are digging into that gap. When it jams, it jams to the point I have to pull the slide back then drop the mag to clear it. I've also noticed that the 147grain HST round is just a bit longer than the Winchester and Remington rounds, so I'm wondering if that might make a difference also. I don't have any 124grain HST to compare the height of the two rounds. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do other than just load up the G3C with the Winchester or Remington JHP for concealed carry. The G3C shoots great, it's accurate as all get out, conceals very well, and is overall a great buy, but I'm just going to make sure I keep the mags for the G3C separate from all my other handguns so as not to use HST in it. I may take it to a professional gunsmith eventually and get an opinion on if there is anything that can be done. I know Taurus would most likely not be sympathetic to me opening up a repair request because it won't chamber a certain type of round....lol

I'm very glad you posted this sir. I used a dremel last weekend to polish my feed ramp and the lip on the lower part of the G3C, no difference at all as far as failure to feed malfunctions. Like you said, about 1 in 3 or maybe 1 in 5 jam when you try to chamber the 147 grain HST round. I then loaded several 12 round magazines with a mixture of Winchester 147 grain white box JHP, Remington 147 grain JHP and the HST, about four rounds of each scattered throughout the magazine. The HST jammed on about half of its rounds, the other kinds of JHP chambered flawlessly. I have not been able to replicate the error in my G3 or G2C at all, both handguns feed the HST JHP rounds without issue, it's just the G3C. I see the same thing you are seeing, it very much seems like there is more movement of the barrel/feed ramp where it meets the lower part of the handgun. There's a gap where the two parts meet and that small diameter nose cone on the HST combined with the very pronounced serrations on the nose cone are digging into that gap. When it jams, it jams to the point I have to pull the slide back then drop the mag to clear it. I've also noticed that the 147grain HST round is just a bit longer than the Winchester and Remington rounds, so I'm wondering if that might make a difference also. I don't have any 124grain HST to compare the height of the two rounds. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do other than just load up the G3C with the Winchester or Remington JHP for concealed carry. The G3C shoots great, it's accurate as all get out, conceals very well, and is overall a great buy, but I'm just going to make sure I keep the mags for the G3C separate from all my other handguns so as not to use HST in it. I may take it to a professional gunsmith eventually and get an opinion on if there is anything that can be done. I know Taurus would most likely not be sympathetic to me opening up a repair request because it won't chamber a certain type of round....lol
Thanks for the thread as well!
After I posted that last night, I loaded my wife's G3C's 12 round mag with the HST...same problem! I also noticed that the mouth of the HST is grabbing on the feed ramp so hard that it's actually making a dent/burr in the front of the round that I can easily feel with my finger.
I think for now you and I will probably both be avoiding the HST in the Taurus. I completely agree - my G3 is easy as all to shoot, and I'm averaging 3-4" groups at 7 and 10 yard targets, especially after I got used to the (beautifully) short trigger on rounds after the first.
Dang. So close to a unicorn.

Thanks for the thread as well!
After I posted that last night, I loaded my wife's G3C's 12 round mag with the HST...same problem! I also noticed that the mouth of the HST is grabbing on the feed ramp so hard that it's actually making a dent/burr in the front of the round that I can easily feel with my finger.
I think for now you and I will probably both be avoiding the HST in the Taurus. I completely agree - my G3 is easy as all to shoot, and I'm averaging 3-4" groups at 7 and 10 yard targets, especially after I got used to the (beautifully) short trigger on rounds after the first.
Dang. So close to a unicorn.
The elusive unicorn...lol
Same here, I can run my finger over the end of the HST and feel the same thing, there's something about the way the G3C is machined that doesn't seem to like the shape of the HST nosecone and serrations. I've read some forums where some people have complained the Sig P365 has this same issue with the HST and a few other handgun models also so I'm definitely not chalking this up to the Taurus being defective. There's all kinds of good JHP ammo out here and this one kind seems to be the only kind the G3C doesn't like. Enjoy your G3 and G3C and thanks for the info.

Just had the same issue with Hornady Critical Defense twice. With slide locked open fresh mag inserted. It chewed up the end of the bullet where it got caught.

Put a drop of oil on the ramp and couldn't duplicate. Definitely keeping an eye on this thread.
A bit of an update on this. I have a Taurus G2C and a Taurus G3C. The barrels are identical as far as machining goes. I put the G2C barrel in my G3C and cycled several magazines thru the G3C using the HST ammo with no issues whatsoever, so it's something in the machining of the G3C barrel itself, the G2C barrel cycled a whole boat load of 147 grain HST without one nosedive jam.

The elusive unicorn...lol
Same here, I can run my finger over the end of the HST and feel the same thing, there's something about the way the G3C is machined that doesn't seem to like the shape of the HST nosecone and serrations. I've read some forums where some people have complained the Sig P365 has this same issue with the HST and a few other handgun models also so I'm definitely not chalking this up to the Taurus being defective. There's all kinds of good JHP ammo out here and this one kind seems to be the only kind the G3C doesn't like. Enjoy your G3 and G3C and thanks for the info.
I have been reading all these posts about the problems with the Taurus and the HST and I think your conclusion is best. Just don't use HST. There are plenty of other good self defense rounds. I do use HST in my H&K's but they seem to work with everything. I would not use them in my P365 because I don't think they are the best ammo for a short barrel.

I have been reading all these posts about the problems with the Taurus and the HST and I think your conclusion is best. Just don't use HST. There are plenty of other good self defense rounds. I do use HST in my H&K's but they seem to work with everything. I would not use them in my P365 because I don't think they are the best ammo for a short barrel.
Absolutely, I'm loaded up with Hornady 135-grain Critical Duty rounds in it right now, No issues whatsoever with it feeding that ammo so I'm 100% confident it will do just fine.

Far as defense ammo I have only tried Hornady critical duty and critical defense. Critical duty has been a huge problem. Hardly ever feeds. Same issue as described. Almost seems the feed ramp is too steep and the nose catches. Critical defense feeds better being shorter but hardly reliable. Finally I tried a bunch of different ball ammo. Flat nose ball was again a problem. All the fmj with thinner nose allows it to feed reliably. What i also found was that if the gun was facing down barrel elevates even more magnifying the problem. Holding the gun horizontal when racking the percentages go up dramatically. I can get reliable feed with the shorter critical defense if I hold horizontal. I think it would actually be ok if not for the polymer nose that definitely adds to it sticking instead of feeding. So now looking for the shortest defense load I can find that doesn't have polymer nose. Smh. Disappointing.

I just picked up my G3C today and 147 gr federal is giving me the same problem. I also had the same issue with 124gr speer. I havent fired it yet. So I'll find out tomorrow how they actually fire. Just wanted to see if this is something other people are having issiues with. I'll check back in when I have fired a few different carry ammos through it.

That's exaclty what was happening to me with the sig v crown. It kept jamming against the ramp especially when the 12 round mag was full and the gun was pointed down. Mostly when I insert a new full mag and hit the slide release. If i slingshot the slide back it wouldn't do it as much unless again I had the gun pointed down. When I point it down the barrel ramp moves forward and disconnect from the lower which also has an embedded small ramp which should be continuous from the lower to the barrel. Also upon further and closer inspection it looked like the ejector was touching the cartridge and causing it to point slightly down but maybe it's supposed to. I'm not really sure how that works.

I took it to the range and shot 100 rounds of ball ammo and had no issues at all. Also tried friend's hornady critical defense and loaded up just fine but at the time so did the sig.. so I'm not even sure wth is happening. I'll tell you the hollow mouth of the sig is so much wider than the hornady that I'm thinking a combination between that, the steep feeding ramp and possibly a strong mag spring or weak/er recoil spring could be the issue.

I've seen a lot of people have upgraded the recoil spring to the lakeline llc stainless steel version and notice considerable stiffness which I assume can help with feeding these suckers in.

Check this video. This was my confirmation of the issues with the sig:

I just picked up my G3C today and 147 gr federal is giving me the same problem. I also had the same issue with 124gr speer. I havent fired it yet. So I'll find out tomorrow how they actually fire. Just wanted to see if this is something other people are having issiues with. I'll check back in when I have fired a few different carry ammos through it.
I didn't have any Speer to try, but the issue continues with the HST. Here's some interesting weirdness. I removed the barrel from my Taurus G2C 9mm and put it in my G3C 9mm and SHAZAM! The HST loads like gangbusters into my G3C...lol. The barrels are supposedly compatible from what I've read so I've considered buying a G2C barrel, as I can't find any G3C barrels for sale anywhere and just keeping my original G3C barrel in case I ever want to sell it. The only issue I have is that the serial number is stamped on the barrel as well as a couple of other places on the G3C, so I'd be carrying a handgun where the serial number on the barrel didn't match the serial number on the handgun...

Seems to me it just doesn’t like the HST rounds, my first gen S&W Shield does not like Critical Defense ammo...period, but it eats Hornady XTP 147gr, maybe after you break the gun in, it may work with those, I don’t know, but, it can be frustrating at times. When I had the Kimber Micro 9, it would feed hardly anything, even fmj, but after I contacted there CS they stated it needed a 500 round break in period before you should use it with self defense ammo and for CCW carry.

My Shield .45 does not like CD either. It’s why I switched all my .45s to HST.

I hate to be that guy, but I don’t trust Taurus automatics as far as I can throw them. Every one I’ve shot was a pile. I love my Taurus revolver, but you can keep the autos.

I removed the barrel from my Taurus G2C 9mm and put it in my G3C 9mm and SHAZAM! The HST loads like gangbusters into my G3C...lol. The barrels are supposedly compatible from what I've read so I've considered buying a G2C barrel, as I can't find any G3C barrels for sale anywhere and just keeping my original G3C barrel in case I ever want to sell it. The only issue I have is that the serial number is stamped on the barrel as well as a couple of other places on the G3C, so I'd be carrying a handgun where the serial number on the barrel didn't match the serial number on the handgun...

When you put the g2c and g3c barrels side by side is there any visible difference in the feed ramp as far as angle or length goes ? Can you post some pics?

Back