testtest

Hog Hunting with the XD-M

Hello all, here is an article for discussion that was previously posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Hog Hunting with the XD-M and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/hog-hunting-with-the-xd-m/.

Congrats! Nice hunt.
While the 10mm pistol is a capable round for hogs, I would consider it my back up weapon and not primary. Hogs being the way they are, a good semi auto like the Saint Victor .308 makes a better primary for distance and 10mm for close in back up.

Great choice for a pistol, I was just ringing a 10" steel at 50 yards with the same XDM 10. I was resting the grip on a cement deer head, so not the best rest. I'd definitely want to be a little closer to shoot a pig, but with my old eyes I was very happy. Good article too, I wish there were hogs to hunt closer to me.

Congrats! Nice hunt.
While the 10mm pistol is a capable round for hogs, I would consider it my back up weapon and not primary. Hogs being the way they are, a good semi auto like the Saint Victor .308 makes a better primary for distance and 10mm for close in back up.
I have to agree. The pigman had a segment on the show where he used the XDm10mm and some of those hogs sucked many rounds before they succumbed. One of the Scandinavian countries also issues them to their military patrol units for polar bear protection, boy I hope they are carrying the original Norma load that replicates the .41 magnum because I think it would just PO a polar bear.
Something I would try and avoid a po'd polar bear.
Lol

When I moved down here to SC a few friends from Monday's Range night were going handgun hog hunting. They offered to let me come and offered me to borrow a 6" S&W .460 which I'm sure could handle a large hog. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't ready to give it a try. Now I regret missing it.

The NATO and US Army "Handbook on Human Vulnerability" was based on live animal testing...domesticated pigs. The shocking results of the research done at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds was that caliber (between 22LR, 9mm, and 45ACP) made no difference, but rather the number of hits was the determining factor for a kill. I'm not sure the size of the animals they used...presumably approximately human weight. A very interesting and largely unknown study, still for those massive feral hogs in the wild, I think I'd feel way more comfortable with the penetration of a 10mm....and for hunting, its flat trajectory.
True enough, I often carry a 22LR pistol into the backcountry mountain biking where weight is crucial and I favor trauma gear over firepower, but when hiking in Grizzly country a readily available, chest holstered 10mm is a comfort.

Good article.

I run a similar set-up - XDm 5.25 10mm (why did SA discontinue this?) or XDm Elite 10mm 3.8, chest holster, and Federal Premium 200 gr Swift A-Frame JHPs, but not for hogs when out-and-about in the N. Rockies.

Back