testtest

COVID vaccines

Listen guys. This isn't a 1st amendment, commie versus capitalist thing. Forums have general rules that are designed to keep conversations friendly, civil and family friendly. And it's worked pretty well here. Not a lot of BS and drama here like you have in other places. This is a privately owned webspace and the rules are enforced pretty evenly across the board. You can't have a bunch of grey area or leave things up to the interpretation of various mods or there would be the appearance of favoritism. So some posts that seem minor are going to be deleted simply because they technically break the rules. Now I don't know the circumstances of this particular ordeal, but having been on the end of more than one post deletion I know that's how things are. It's no reason to get upset. If we wanted to have a place where there weren't rules and you could say anything you wanted to and argue with people there are other places you can do that. It just seems a shame to bail out on a valuable resource over some stupid BS.

Just my take.

Also just for the record I have been slotted for my turn at the vaccine for a few months now due to my job. I don't get flu shots and I don't plan on getting the covid vaccine either, but I completely understand why people do. My 80 year old parents have both had Covid and they both refuse to get the vaccine. I have tried and tried to talk them into it.

Listen guys. This isn't a 1st amendment, commie versus capitalist thing. Forums have general rules that are designed to keep conversations friendly, civil and family friendly. And it's worked pretty well here. Not a lot of BS and drama here like you have in other places. This is a privately owned webspace and the rules are enforced pretty evenly across the board. You can't have a bunch of grey area or leave things up to the interpretation of various mods or there would be the appearance of favoritism. So some posts that seem minor are going to be deleted simply because they technically break the rules. Now I don't know the circumstances of this particular ordeal, but having been on the end of more than one post deletion I know that's how things are. It's no reason to get upset. If we wanted to have a place where there weren't rules and you could say anything you wanted to and argue with people there are other places you can do that. It just seems a shame to bail out on a valuable resource over some stupid BS.

Just my take.
This is some good advice, lets keep this thread on the original topic please.

To chrisjohnson65: I didn't see the post in question so I have no idea what words or ideas it consisted of, but I looked back in time and apparently it's the only post of yours going back to 7/2020 that's been deleted for any reason.

From my perspective, I can say I have a lot of confidence in the mods here doing the right thing as they see it for the benefit of all. And from a lot of experience at moderating a forum, I can say it's not an easy job they have to do. I can also tell you that I too have had at least one post deleted from here for some violation of forum rules I didn't understand at the time.

I said all that to you just to say this ...... maybe you could rethink your decision to leave the forum and consider all the good info and ideas you've had a hand in passing around and realize there will be many more opportunities to pass around even more.

This is some good advice, lets keep this thread on the original topic please.
I believe that most of the people getting covid is tied to the flu vaccine, not necessarily contracted the flu? I haven't done a large enough study, but the 200 that I have questioned is how I arrived at my conclusion. Not trying to compromise this thread! Several family members plan on receiving the vaccine and some have already have had the covid. Good luck for those are wanting it!

As I mentioned in my previous post, wife and I will be getting our second Moderna shot on the 29th. I think we might have had Covid-19 back in February of last year but who knows?

We were on a West Indies cruise from Jan 26th to Feb 6th on the cruise ship Epic. It was on this cruise two huge news stories broke. The first was the death of Kobe Bryant and his daughter and the second was the outbreak of the Corona Virus on the cruise ship the Diamond Princess.

The day after we arrived back home we both came down with an illness. While I felt bad for just 4 days, my wife was literally knocked off her feet for two weeks which included pain in her left side (lung issue?). It took her an additional two weeks to get back to feeling normal. At the time we didn’t even consider it might be the Corona Virus. The virus didn’t become really big news until mid-March and at the beginning of April the CDC issued a no sail order for cruise ships.

I don't know what illness we had but I've never seen my wife so sick and she kept putting off going to the doctor.

As I mentioned in my previous post, wife and I will be getting our second Moderna shot on the 29th. I think we might have had Covid-19 back in February of last year but who knows?

We were on a West Indies cruise from Jan 26th to Feb 6th on the cruise ship Epic. It was on this cruise two huge news stories broke. The first was the death of Kobe Bryant and his daughter and the second was the outbreak of the Corona Virus on the cruise ship the Diamond Princess.

The day after we arrived back home we both came down with an illness. While I felt bad for just 4 days, my wife was literally knocked off her feet for two weeks which included pain in her left side (lung issue?). It took her an additional two weeks to get back to feeling normal. At the time we didn’t even consider it might be the Corona Virus. The virus didn’t become really big news until mid-March and at the beginning of April the CDC issued a no sail order for cruise ships.

I don't know what illness we had but I've never seen my wife so sick and she kept putting off going to the doctor.
Glad you both recovered. My father, 82 at the time got very sick end of January, beginning of February of 2020. They couldn’t figure out what it was. I still think it was COVID. Not much was known about it then. He’s fine now, but had a tough week or so.

I failed to mention my wife's reaction to the Moderno shot. The morning after we were vaccinated she was very tired so she decided to lay in bed for a bit, she fell into a very deep sleep for 3 hours. When she woke she was fine and felt refreshed so a deep nap is an excellent side effect in my opinion.

The day we arrived at the vaccination location for our shots there were National Guard troops helping out. Having spent 6 years in the military my first thought was this is going to be FUBAR, instead everything went like clockwork. I think we were in and out in 25 minutes and that included the 15 minute wait to be sure we didn't have a reaction.

I'm looking forward to getting the second shot so we can start planning trips again.

Well we got our second Moderna shot yesterday and the side effects were much worse than the first shot. My wife was miserable most of the night and into this morning. I woke up at 2 AM with my shoulder so sore I couldn't go back to sleep. Raising my arm was so painful I had to drink my morning cup of coffee with my other hand. I was also very fatigued. As I type this we are both feeling better and my shoulder is merely a bit tender. Hopefully booster shots won't be required in the future.

We spent most of the last calendar year dealing with my wife having colon cancer, and going straight from surgery to 6 months of chemo, and then a final surgery just 3 weeks ago. And during that same time, our youngest got married, got pregnant, and had a baby. So our family has been super cautious, and that includes getting things like flu and pneumonia shots, and we are signed up for the COVID vaccine this week.

I've had the flu, but have been pretty religious about getting a flu shot the past 10-12 years, as my work really encouraged it - they didn't want us to have down time. And I've not had flu a single time in the past decade or so. I also get the pneumonia vaccine, which is only every 5 years I think. I had pneumonia in 1997 that took me down for a full month. I was only 32 at that time, but I lost over 30 pounds in month, and had a 102-103 degree fever for most of it. It's the only time in my life I've literally wanted to die. It's the only time in my life I easily lost weight sadly, but I don't recommend it!

I'm into week #2 from the first Pfizer shot.

No ill effects other than a sore spot were they poked me for 24 hrs after. I think they used a horse needle, but the sore spot went away.

Got my first Moderna injection this last Sunday. No issues, injection site was a bit sore for about 15 mins, nothing else. Scheduled to get shot #2 on April 30th. I made it for a Friday after work so if I have some side effects, I'll have the weekend to sleep it off. I always get a flu shot every year due to a history of lung issues with pulmonary embolisms. Any time I get sick it tends to set up shop in my lungs...lol

I'm glad to hear of so many folks getting the vaccine, I think in the end it'll be better for all of us. However, it is strange how it affects so many of us so differently.

My wife and I both have had both doses of the Pfizer brand stuff. After the first one she had a little soreness in her arm at the injection site for little less than a day .... I had virtually nothing. 3 weeks later we got the 2nd one and the same thing happened. She had a little sore spot on her arm for a few hours ..... I had absolutely nothing.

Obviously we don't know whether it will totally protect us or not and we're still being pretty careful around most others. I guess time will tell for all of us. Sure will be good to get back to normal (whatever the new normal is).

Hope all here who read this will be careful, and stay healthy !!!! (y)(y)(y)

In my informal and very unscientific survey of friends and relatives, those who got the Pfizer vaccine had mild to no side effects while those who got Moderna had much worse side effects. My wuss of a BIL (age 55) passed out after getting the first shot of the Moderna vaccine today, I think it was caused by stress. He also passes out at the sight of even a little blood.

In my informal and very unscientific survey of friends and relatives, those who got the Pfizer vaccine had mild to no side effects while those who got Moderna had much worse side effects. My wuss of a BIL (age 55) passed out after getting the first shot of the Moderna vaccine today, I think it was caused by stress. He also passes out at the sight of even a little blood.

I have several friends that got the Moderna vaccine & had reactions ranging from a sore arm to a mild headache. Nothing worse.

I think we all need to realize that any reaction to any vaccine is highly individual, as is the case with the reports on how folks are finding out from these Covid vaccines.

I have a brother in law like that too - and a son in law unfortunately. My other son in law and brother in laws make up for it thankfully!

Last night HBO aired the documentary The Last Cruise. It uses passenger and crew video to tell the story of the Corona virus outbreak on the Diamond Princess in February last year. This was first real news story that broke about the virus. At the end of their cruise the passengers and crew were not allowed off the ship and passengers were quarantined to their cabins for just over 2 weeks. The virus continued to spread on the ship because crewmen had to continue working to lessen the impact on passengers. In the end 700 passengers were infected and 14 died. This was the beginning of the end for cruises in 2020

The documentary is worth a watch.

I'm not quite 50 (will be 49 in September), and healthy. About a month ago, work ("essential" industry) asked if we wanted the shots. I declined. 99.969% recovery without medication, does not scare me. Give my dose to someone who IS scared of this thing.

My 84 year old mother got her shots a couple weeks ago. Ex-RN, ex-physical therapist. Lives in FL (in her words, "land of the Newly Wed and Nearly Dead"). Said her arm hurt like hell for about a week after but she felt OK. Not sure what brand she got.

If it gets to the point where we're forced to get the shot...we'll see. I have issues with the concept.

1617201722341.png

I'm not quite 50 (will be 49 in September), and healthy. About a month ago, work ("essential" industry) asked if we wanted the shots. I declined. 99.969% recovery without medication, does not scare me. Give my dose to someone who IS scared of this thing.

My 84 year old mother got her shots a couple weeks ago. Ex-RN, ex-physical therapist. Lives in FL (in her words, "land of the Newly Wed and Nearly Dead"). Said her arm hurt like hell for about a week after but she felt OK. Not sure what brand she got.

If it gets to the point where we're forced to get the shot...we'll see. I have issues with the concept.

View attachment 16337
I'm of your mindset. I'm 60 and healthy. My 83 year old father got the shots. He normally wouldn't have, but he is newly out of the hospital for a staph infection of his hip implant and a new hip put in. He said he's aware that there are possible long term effects of the mRNA vaccine, but he's not worried about it because he probably won't be around long enough for those effects to impact him.

Personally, I'm concerned about this ridiculous "Covid Passport" thing. This whole deal has gone WAY over the deep end. Has the vibe of the old Nazi "Show me your papers". I REALLY hope this concept does not get implemented.

Back