testtest

Have You Cleared Your House?

I did not select the XDM based on capacity. I selected the XDM because it has shown to be very reliable, has a rail and is also ergonomically pleasing in my very average sized hands. I dont mind a larger gun since I have no plans to conceal the weapon on my person. That being said, a larger gun often yields more capacity. I welcome the additional ammo but it was not my priority. Speaking just for myself, if I have at least 5 rounds of something readily accepted as effective for lawful self defense, I dont fret. Less than 5 rounds of something of very low power... then i fret a little.
I can't remember where I read it, but there is a story of a police officer out east putting 9 rounds into a guy before he put him down. Had many torso shots.
So forgive me if two such people came into my house if I am going to be prepared. That's 18 shots with NO MISSES.

When I turn in for the night, in addition to securing the perimeter, checking locks, ect., within reach will be my cell, flashlight, Saint, frogsticker, at the minimum. Don't plan on having to make my way to anything (but perhaps the perp).

In my particular case, I am delaying and may never instruct my wife in self defense (with firearms). Why?
She is high end nervous at times, spooks easily, and I'm not certain she can/will exercise the collected discipline necessary to do the paramount thing before squeezing the trigger: IDENTIFY THE TARGET!

We have all heard the horror stories of family members accidentally deep sixing a loved one for failing the above protocol.

Those of you with well trained spouses/team mates need to understand that anyone, including yourself, can, when under
slow motion inducing pressure/stress, "see" something that isn't there, or see something that is there and misidentify it.
One scenario that can lead to mishaps is "meeting" or coming face to face with your armed partner in the "house clearing" exercise: train to avoid this.

There have been cases of well experienced hunters "seeing" (what the expected to see) a deer when a person is what they shot. One can practice muscle memory, train to a highly skilled level, but, IMHO, the psychological stability/mental preparedness/discipline quotient of the armed individual surpasses make, calibre, accessories, load, and all the rest of the options. What happens in your head when all goes south and terror goes to your core is the difference and there is no fully or complete way to train and prepare for it.

"In my particular case, I am delaying and may never instruct my wife in self defense (with firearms). Why?
She is high end nervous at times, spooks easily, and I'm not certain she can/will exercise the collected discipline necessary to do the paramount thing before squeezing the trigger: IDENTIFY THE TARGET!

We have all heard the horror stories of family members accidentally deep sixing a loved one for failing the above protocol."

Generally speaking, from experience, is better to help others face fears when can, one step at a time choosing a suitable safe location for instruction. Repetition can usually calm anxieties and fears. But, not everyone's situations the same either. Likely better to have two understanding possible defenders with a good plan than only one?
But, am thinking DO get your drift. Isn't always easy.

I can't remember where I read it, but

Sir, you can hold on to whatever beliefs that please you. I am not trying to talk you out of it.

History and statistics bear out certain trends and commonalities for good reason. Although a persons fight is not guaranteed to fall within statistical or historical norms, it is often a good place to start in regards to a base plan. I usually plan for something more than the base average in any situation but if I can at least answer the base statistical need, I dont fret. I simply check the box and move on. Being the victor in any armed confrontation will likely hinge on many issues. Issues which are not often addressed because people focus narrowly on things that "dont much matter".

Sir, you can hold on to whatever beliefs that please you. I am not trying to talk you out of it.

History and statistics bear out certain trends and commonalities for good reason. Although a persons fight is not guaranteed to fall within statistical or historical norms, it is often a good place to start in regards to a base plan. I usually plan for something more than the base average in any situation but if I can at least answer the base statistical need, I dont fret. I simply check the box and move on. Being the victor in any armed confrontation will likely hinge on many issues. Issues which are not often addressed because people focus narrowly on things that "dont much matter".

I am not feeling attacked and I too am not trying to convince you.
I am just thankful to be living where I do. have you watched the reloading video posted this morning?
I am thankful I do not have to get my reload time AND my wife's reload time down to 1.3 seconds in order to defend and feel confident in securing my home. What did he say..... a year of practice??
Some are talking just like the left and think that I should not be able to choose my weapon to secure my being as well as my wife's. Well there is a reason we do not live in California. It's not because we can't and it is not because the weather is not nice. Plain and simple it is because I am not going to be limited in my ability to defend myself, because criminals do not care what laws there are. If they did they would not be called criminals. I am not going to be the one to bring a knife to a gun fight. It is unfair to ask a law abiding citizen to practice reloading for a year in order to gain the edge on a criminal. Even then a criminal being a criminal does not care about gun laws and you still might be out gunned. When I lived in San Antonio (20 plus years ago) they used to love those tec 9's to do what they were doing. I do not suppose they turned them all in, do you? I don't suppose being criminals they ever will, do you?

Last edited:
My advice would be to get some training where you can better draw some conclusions based on a broader understanding of the reality based SD particulars.

Reloads are another unlikely prospect but one that should not be foreign or bumbling. Magazines are in integral part of semi auto handguns and to that end, they do crap out sometime. There are not too many good times for a mag to crap out so it can certainly be at the most inopportune time. I carry a reload on my person when I am out on the town, more so for a chance jam and not necessarily because I feel that 13 more rounds is something critical. I have no plan to carry a reload on my person during any home defense endeavor. I say that simply because in most circumstances (at home) carrying a reload is not practicable. My draw is not bumbling, my reload is not bumbling and neither are subject to unnecessary articulations or cumbersome processes. I would NOT call either my draw or reload "fast" but I have long since checked the boxes on those issues. My draw to shot fired is probably about 2 seconds from concealment. My reload to shot fired is probably just above 2 seconds. I dont time it but based on a comparison to those I know that do put a timer on such things, I would say I am right at 2 seconds. I dont push myself as the task is important enough to get it right. If all I was matched against was a timer, I might push but I am no gamer, I train for self defense only. My goal is to get it right and not stumble or bumble, I am not trying to be fast. Outside of gaming, I cant imagine sitting around trying to get a draw or reload to any particular time so long as the task is not bumbling or unnecessarily hindered by wasteful movement. In real life, these tasks are not likely to be performed in a bubble. They will probably be called upon at the most inconvenient and inopportune time. Nobody is going to yell... shooter ready? A 1.3 second reload is not really much of an indication of a persons fighting prowess. Its simply an indication that they can perform a dexterous task quickly in a bubble.

If a person is squared away on the fighting skills they need and are simply trying to better those skills, I get it. I wouldnt be putting a timer or setting a time on any particular skill of a noobie shooter. Speed can certainly be a welcomed byproduct but to put some arbitrary number on it can be counter productive in my estimation.

Last edited:
Yeah because I am not sweeping someone else's house for hostiles does not make a bit of difference over if I am clearing my own house of hostiles. The tactics and arms do not change much in either situation. Or are you saying that a threat thousands and thousands of miles away requires more than a threat or threats within my home?
Like I said, it is also a pretty good bug out, camping, horse back riding, 4 wheeling piece of equipment. You run into a bear and you will appreciate the added accessories and muzzle velocity, not to mention the extra rounds over a side arm. So it serves more than one purpose. Not to mention it is pretty handy and accurate out to about 100 yards for varmints, yet does not travel as far as a 22lr.
Learn to protect the 10 yard circle, then the 50. Then the 100 and so on and so forth. This one just happens to do well at 10- 50 or a 100 a whole lot better than a side arm. Not to mention I can thread a can on to it and direct the shock of the sound away from me.
I am not talking about edc guns here. But that was not the topic either.
Yeah, I’m saying if I’m part of a team clearing buildings in deepest darkest Dirkadirkastan, it's gonna be different equipment and tactics, because I’m sure AF not gonna be leading with a frag In my house.

Seriously, you’re comparing driving for groceries with F1 racing.

Yeah, I’m saying if I’m part of a team clearing buildings in deepest darkest Dirkadirkastan, it's gonna be different equipment and tactics, because I’m sure AF not gonna be leading with a frag In my house.

Seriously, you’re comparing driving for groceries with F1 racing.
Again the weapon of choice for criminals 20 years ago when I lived in the city was a tec-9. I have no desire to be out gunned in my own home. The end.
Besides "leading with a frag" I see no difference between my and a crews or my and my wife's safety. I am not going full gear up, but like I said, I am not bringing a knife to a gun fight either.

Speaking of which, I am in the midst of putting together a 10.5" 5.56 with a laser, a Romeo 5 and a WML which I will no doubt at some point have on the hook for a HD primary option. Probably loaded with M193.

I'm sure it's an absolute atrocity as a HD weapon. Sue me. :)
GUHHFAWWW!!

Speaking of which, I am in the midst of putting together a 10.5" 5.56 with a laser, a Romeo 5 and a WML which I will no doubt at some point have on the hook for a HD primary option. Probably loaded with M193.

I'm sure it's an absolute atrocity as a HD weapon. Sue me. :)
Beats a 7.5”...those are atrocious no matter what you have threaded on the end, unless it has a stamp. 10.5” are at least bearable with double earpro in tight spaces...

Beats a 7.5”...those are atrocious no matter what you have threaded on the end, unless it has a stamp. 10.5” are at least bearable with double earpro in tight spaces...

I was prepared to buy a flash can/blast diverter, but after I shot it out back the other day I decided I'd spend my money on more important things. Like a QD end cap and a single point sling. And an optic. And a flashlight. Don't really need a flashlight, but eh, WTH.

Just had one of my 30 year old gun mufflers on. Ears weren't ringing or nothing. Of course I have spent 40+ years in hard rock bands so it was probably louder than I thought.

I'm not even sure what the argument is at this point. I don't recall anyone railing against PCCs. There was someone here awhile back making the argument that anything bigger ( longer actually) than a handgun was not fit for home defense. Again, everything isn't for everybody. But that doesn't mean it isn't for anybody.

Likely part of the past's "handguns only" argument/thoughts is average hallway's 36" or 3' wide? Many long guns/rifles/shotguns are longer than typical hallways are/were wide? Thing is, many newer/older hallways are wider than 36" while some older hallways are sometimes narrower. 2'-8" used to be very common door and hallway width for example? Long guns are generally longer than handguns/pistols, but, that length/width comparison doesn't really take into account all scenarios either? Hold a long gun diagonally or vertically for example? Plus, if have many obsticles in the way, HG's are usually easier to navigate through tight quarters then and now days? Think "sawed off shotguns" for example, there is/was a good legitimate reason for those in home defense? But?

And, times, weapons change? Some other thoughts in that area were likely based on general ammo types used at the time thought/originally was written as well? So, that likely means some current thoughts at the time were then likely used based on older recirculated info at the time thoughts were originally written? The handgun only thoughts seem very dated? Why?

Likely part of the past's "handguns only" argument/thoughts is average hallway's 36" or 3' wide? Many long guns/rifles/shotguns are longer than typical hallways are/were wide? Thing is, many newer/older hallways are wider than 36" while some older hallways are sometimes narrower. 2'-8" used to be very common door and hallway width for example? Long guns are generally longer than handguns/pistols, but, that length/width comparison doesn't really take into account all scenarios either? Hold a long gun diagonally or vertically for example? Plus, if have many obsticles in the way, HG's are usually easier to navigate through tight quarters then and now days? Think "sawed off shotguns" for example, there is/was a good legitimate reason for those in home defense? But?

And, times, weapons change? Some other thoughts in that area were likely based on general ammo types used at the time thought/originally was written as well? So, that likely means some current thoughts at the time were then likely used based on older recirculated info at the time thoughts were originally written? The handgun only thoughts seem very dated? Why?
Yup. If they were legal I would say a semi auto sawed off shotgun loaded with home defense rounds should about cover all hd needs. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Last edited:
Dude it’s awesome. Probably my favorite inanimate object on the planet. Yeah it looks like something out of starship troopers but it’ll dump 16 rds. in 8 seconds and be fully reloaded in another 25 seconds.
I do admit I want a bullpup 12...but that’s more because Amos on “The Expanse” is my spirit animal.
Bonus: nice appearance by a “sci-fied” XD-M.

Back