testtest

.22 for concealed carry, are you kidding me?

Certainly better than nothing at all. I don't think your average bad guy is going to study it long enough and say "oh it's just a .22" Hopefully they are smart enough to run if they see it. Then it has done its job.

That is not an EDC's job. An EDC isn't supposed to scare people off. That logic is fundamentally flawed and can get you in big trouble. It's natural to think presenting a gun will be enough but it's unlawful and it's not taught well enough.

Brandishing a firearm is felony.

You are not permitted to draw or "brandish" your firearm to intimidate or scare. To legally draw your firearm it must be to save your life or someone else's. So, when you draw you must have already have determined the use of deadly force is necessary. Consider that for a minute. When you reach for your gun you must have already determined you are going to shoot to save a life. Now, you can choose not to use it, and would be wise to do so if the attacker runs off. But if you draw thinking he'll run and you wont need to use it you have committed a felony.

You are under the exact same legal responsibly to prove you were in imment danger if you shoot or don't shoot. So be sure before you draw.

Maybe there are some good CCW trainers who chime here?

Can a 22 caliber bullet kill someone? Yes it can. The issue becomes whether or not you can place the round in a vulnerable spot to stop the bad guy or is the bad guy going to be able to dispose of you before or if he becomes incapacitated. I would not want to take that chance. If racking the pistol is a problem I would go with an EZ rack or a revolver. In either case nothing less than .380

Last edited:
As a stringent 2A supporter, I try not to judge anyone's preferred method of Every Day Carry as It's their God given right to defend themselves as they see fit (which I'm sure everyone on here agrees with). As far as I'm concern, they can carry a stick or nothing at all if that's what they're comfortable with. I'm not implying that HotRod or any other poster is "judging" someone whose EDC is a .22, and I do agree that I would never carry a .22 myself (which I hear is a preferred caliber for the Mob due to low discharge sound & less blood loss due to smaller wound usually shot from behind in the head). In fact, my preference is nothing lower that a 9mm, but that's just me. While I do have some arthritic fingers (and "trigger finger" where my tendons will sometimes lock requiring my other had to pull the finger open), I currently have no problems racking the slide on my pistols (well maybe the 50AE Desert Eagle which I hope gets easier as it gets more broken in). As with some other posters remarks, those that have racking difficulties should look into the EZ options out there. I think as a lot of us Boomers age and are having this difficulty, more gun manafacturers are looking to supply products that meet this demand. I for one, may check out the S&W EZ 9 that was recently announced.
Please don't take my response here as a negative to this Post's topic and thread, as I do think it's worthy of discussion.

I have heard excellent reviews on the Standard S333 which fires two .22 Magnum shots at one time and is shootable four times between reloads. The gun is pocket carry. I have not shot the weapon myself but...
If more then 1 round is fired with 1 pull of the trigger wouldn't that would make this firearm an NFA item?

After many years working in an ER and having seen many bullet wounds the .22 is a killer, it just may take longer or not. The Jews killed many Nazis with .22s their calling card was two to the chest and one to the head. My dad bought me a beretta 21-A as a backup gun for my first LEO job it rode in my front left pocket and I still have it and carry it. He and I did an excessive amount of raccoon hunting growing up and all were treed by our bluetick hounds and we shot them in the head with .22s so we didn’t ruin the pelt. I have killed a deer with a .22 rifle (nothing can take a hit in the eye with an Anschuetz) I have great confidence in the caliber! But consider this, nine rounds from a .22 pistol is faster projectile speed than a blast from a shotgun. I have seen a man live after two shotgun blasts to the stomach and hips and another man die from a .22 bullet to the inner shoulder. Shot placement is everything.

If more then 1 round is fired with 1 pull of the trigger wouldn't that would make this firearm an NFA item?
Hey 10, I attached a video from Classic Firearms on this pistol (they're already sold out on the site, but are offering it free in a give away contest.) The video is a bit shaky (Clint usually does better), but he does explain why the ATF does NOT consider this a machine gun and gave the OK to sell as a pistol. Apparently (and you'll see in his video), the ATF considers that this pistol has two triggers, since it takes two fingers for you to fire it. It has an enormous trigger pull weight, and although not impossible to fire with one finger, it's extremely difficult. But we know with the ATF, that just because it was ruled OK (like Bump Stocks) now, doesn't mean they change their mind and rule against it later. :mad:

Hey 10, I attached a video from Classic Firearms on this pistol (they're already sold out on the site, but are offering it free in a give away contest.) The video is a bit shaky (Clint usually does better), but he does explain why the ATF does NOT consider this a machine gun and gave the OK to sell as a pistol. Apparently (and you'll see in his video), the ATF considers that this pistol has two triggers, since it takes two fingers for you to fire it. It has an enormous trigger pull weight, and although not impossible to fire with one finger, it's extremely difficult. But we know with the ATF, that just because it was ruled OK (like Bump Stocks) now, doesn't mean they change their mind and rule against it later. :mad:

Wow that is pretty interesting! I'm always interested in odd firearms especially when they are an exception to the laws. But like you said the ATF can reverse course any time with their vague definition of the laws and refusal to clearly define when asked, such the case with shouldering a pistol brace.

Last edited:
Didn't they have some double-barrel semi-auto (the DoubleShot or something) a few years back that did run afoul of ATF?
I can't answer that, as I don't really know, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I know a few that got burnt on the Bump Stocks however.

It makes sense to me for the range, or training or introduction to firearms but I still feel like people who carry a .22 are more interested in the warm and fuzzies they get carrying a gun and not the practicality of having to use it. Is that going to save your life or get you killed? I don't buy into the "anything is better than nothing" concept.

i've watched that texas church shooting video like 20 times and can't shake the image of that guy fumbling his draw and getting killed while the guy in the pew hadn't even drawn and it was over. Both those guys have a right to carry and i bet they both imagined their roll much differently than it played out.

I don't have arthritis so I honestly don't know, is it a racking problem or a shooting problem? So much of a problem that you can't find a .380 or 9mm that fits the bill?
I think it depends on the person. My wife has a Beretta .380 auto, and it is very difficult for her to load the magazines. Now, neither she nor I conceal carry, but I wouldn't be averse to her carrying a small .22LR as a deterrent, if she were to carry. In the heat of the moment, I doubt a criminal is going to have the presence of mind to log the size of the weapon pulled on them.

What the heck is up with these new .22 LR pistols being touted for self defense? Are CCW holders in general so week that they need an easy rack gun or a .22 caliber to handle the recoil? .22s are awesome for plinking and tormenting tin cans but come on... We have the most feable amoung us arming themselves with low capacity unreliable mouse guns. What am I am missing?
giphy.gif
I have seen deer that were taken (illegally) with 22 hollow points at a range of over 150 feet. The only problem I have seen is that I have not seen a 22 autoloader that will consistently feed hollow points and/or consistently go bang.
I carry a 380 LCP for normal carry and have an H&R DA 928 for inside the home use. The H&R has 9 rounds of 22 hollow points and it has less chance of going through walls and killing an unintended victim and if 9 22 hollow points won't stop 2-3 attackers at less than 10 ft you need to practice a whole lot more.

It makes sense to me for the range, or training or introduction to firearms but I still feel like people who carry a .22 are more interested in the warm and fuzzies they get carrying a gun and not the practicality of having to use it. Is that going to save your life or get you killed? I don't buy into the "anything is better than nothing" concept.

i've watched that texas church shooting video like 20 times and can't shake the image of that guy fumbling his draw and getting killed while the guy in the pew hadn't even drawn and it was over. Both those guys have a right to carry and i bet they both imagined their roll much differently than it played out.

I don't have arthritis so I honestly don't know, is it a racking problem or a shooting problem? So much of a problem that you can't find a .380 or 9mm that fits the bill?

Arthritis in my wife is that bad. She carried a Beretta .22. I wish she could carry something else, but she simply can't rack the slide or handle the recoil. I have tried my G42, a S&W airweight .38.

I don't think I would use it for self defense unless it is all I had.
That being said I would use it for practice.
I started shooting in the 70's with revolvers and before going to the range I practiced with a .22 pellet gun, saved a lot on ammo.
There is a boat load of pellet and bb guns that are exact copies of what is on the market.
I used a Crosman 38c which is the exact weight and size as a Smith&Wesson model 15.

2011_0209airagain0010.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

I've always thought the NAA Mini Mag revolvers were cool, but not really sure how practical a .22 Mag out of a sub one inch barrel really is... But, man they are really neat looking little guns!

Arthritis in my wife is that bad. She carried a Beretta .22. I wish she could carry something else, but she simply can't rack the slide or handle the recoil. I have tried my G42, a S&W airweight .38.
Have you considered trying/renting Smith & Wesson's 380 EZ pistol. I've heard/read good things from people with similar conditions on the ease of racking, and its low recoil (and for those who can tolerate a bit more recoil, their new 9mm EZ pistol they just came out with).

I've always thought the NAA Mini Mag revolvers were cool, but not really sure how practical a .22 Mag out of a sub one inch barrel really is... But, man they are really neat looking little guns!
Agreed! I've looked at one at the local gun shop and was really impressed by how well made they are. But not sure how useful they are.

Back