testtest

.308 Bolt Carrier Group Question

Sell it on gunbroker and get a saint victor .308 😉😉

I would just send the upper like Hans mentions. Also, a new BCG wouldnt need anything but a “go, no go” headspace gauge with a new BCG installed
I will say I thought about selling it,
(I’ve had really good luck on ArmsList)
And getting a Springfield Saint .308
Probably the Victor.
But I really like this gun, shooting it is a blast and it is a hammer. It’s definitely my reach out and touch something gun where my Springfield Edge Pistol in 5.56 is my mid/close quarters battle gun.

Just send it in there may be another problem that isn't apparent right off. If you were shooting the same brand and bullet weight ammo regulate you shouldn't need to regulate the gas too much. Would you need to adjust the gas block every time you switch ammo? Or just after the guns gets massively dirty in a wartime experience?

Just send it in there may be another problem that isn't apparent right off. If you were shooting the same brand and bullet weight ammo regulate you shouldn't need to regulate the gas too much. Would you need to adjust the gas block every time you switch ammo? Or just after the guns gets massively dirty in a wartime experience?
On my FAL, i need to switch the gas from 147 gr and 175 gr rounds.

I had the same gun Savage MSR-10 in 6.5 CreedMoor and had to adjust the gas block almost every time I changed bullet weights. I sold that AR first.
I don’t recall ever messing with the.308 it shot everything I put through without objection.

What I have right now is one box 20 rounds of 150 grain.
two boxes of 165 grain.
14 boxes of 175 grain and 3 boxes of 180 grain.

Last edited:
I don’t know. Are you saying all AR bolts have to be fit specifically to the bolt carrier? I’m asking because I don’t know. So you would have to buy a whole BCG?
AR-10s aren't as universal as an AR-15. Most AR-10s are either built on the DPMS or Armalite platforms and not all of the parts are interchangeable with some parts only being brand specific. I'm currently working on assembling an Aero M5 AR-10 but I'm having a tough time sourcing parts for it. The Aero M5 lower is listed as a DPMS cut design but not all DPMS parts will work with it.

So as a follow up, I called Savage again this morning before shipping the gun and asked if I needed an RMA “I didn’t”
I also asked if I should hold onto the lower and just ship the upper? I was told they wanted the whole gun to do a correct repair including if something is found that they couldn’t fix (?) they would replace the gun??? Now that made me nervous thinking that if that happened I would get back some used piece of 💩😡 Grrrrrrr
On another note FedEx
I insured the package for $1,000.00
I was then asked when I wanted it delivered? I said Monday. Ok 9am on Monday is $255.00😬🤔😮 so I said how about Tuesday? Ok Tuesday at 10:30am is $105.00 now I trust FedEx but $150. For one day difference??? Wow.
I went with Tuesday.

I will say this if I get contacted and they are talking about replacing the gun and it’s not a new one in mint condition then I’ll ask to have mine shipped back and I’ll find a gunsmith to change out the bolt.

So as a follow up, I called Savage again this morning before shipping the gun and asked if I needed an RMA “I didn’t”
I also asked if I should hold onto the lower and just ship the upper? I was told they wanted the whole gun to do a correct repair including if something is found that they couldn’t fix (?) they would replace the gun??? Now that made me nervous thinking that if that happened I would get back some used piece of 💩😡 Grrrrrrr
On another note FedEx
I was then asked when I wanted it delivered? I said Monday. Ok 9am on Monday is $255.00😬🤔😮 so I said how about Tuesday? Ok Tuesday at 10:30am is $105.00 now I trust FedEx but $150. For one day difference??? Wow.
I went with Tuesday.

If they can’t repair yours, you get an entirely new rifle, not a used one.

If you have anything excess on it—different handguards, stock or grip, aftermarket trigger, optics, etc...remove them and return it to factory original...you may not get them back if they have to replace it.

Also: if they do replace it...it will go to a FFL of your choosing, and you'll have to fill out a 4473 for the new rifle.

If they can’t repair yours, you get an entirely new rifle, not a used one.

If you have anything excess on it—different handguards, stock or grip, aftermarket trigger, optics, etc...remove them and return it to factory original...you may not get them back if they have to replace it.

Also: if they do replace it...it will go to a FFL of your choosing, and you'll have to fill out a 4473 for the new rifle.
Well that would be a PITA but I guess worth it if it comes to that. I did strip the gun of everything on it except for a few M-lok picatiny rail accessory rails on the hand guard.

On another note FedEx
I went with Tuesday.

I will say this if I get contacted and they are talking about replacing the gun and it’s not a new one in mint condition then I’ll ask to have mine shipped back and I’ll find a gunsmith to change out the bolt.
That sucks that you are stuck with the shipping cost....😡 When I sent a defective Mini-14 to Ruger they emailed me a shipping label and when the gun couldn't be repaired they gave me full MSRP for my gun to use towards another new Ruger product or they offered to pay me outright for it. I went with a new Mini-14 LE model with the 16in barrel plus this gun runs flawless and it's one of my top favorites to shoot.

Hopefully this will get resolved with a positive solution. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.....😁👍

Interesting guys. So why do you not have to do the same for 5.56/.223 when going from 40gr all the way up to 70gr ?
So lets set aside rifling for the time being as I know some are 1 in 9, 1 in 7 etc.

Most factory rifles come overgassed to run any factory ammo. Twist rate doesn’t matter. An adjustable gas block is what you would want to change out to tune it, especially if running a can on it. You can adjust the gas block to fix “dwell” time with the bolt. You can change the weight of your buffers to help with the bolt.

Most factory rifles come overgassed to run any factory ammo. Twist rate doesn’t matter. An adjustable gas block is what you would want to change out to tune it, especially if running a can on it. You can adjust the gas block to fix “dwell” time with the bolt. You can change the weight of your buffers to help with the bolt.
My Savage came with an adjustable gas system just never had to use it since it ran flawlessly out of the box. Besides changing out the bolt I’m having them look at the adjustment knob, it seems to be locked up.

My Savage came with an adjustable gas system just never had to use it since it ran flawlessly out of the box. Besides changing out the bolt I’m having them look at the adjustment knob, it seems to be locked up.

Yeah I’m sorry to hear about your problems. I was referencing the guy in my quote who was asking about the overgassed issue. It’s probably best SA look at your rifle. I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the outcome.

Yes I know twist rate won't affect the gas system. I was just tossing it out before someone stated that they won't shoot certain weight projectiles due to twist rate.

Back