testtest

9mm — Is it great or does it suck?

I thought all branches switched to the Beratta 92 standard sidearm at the same time, '85-'86 from what I remember with out looking it up.:)
Yes that’s correct ‘85. And the 1911 with the all mighty powerful .45acp still used today. But believe it or not as shocking as it may be when you get into the SF groups where they have a little more leeway on what they carry most choose the 9mm in Glock.

I thought all branches switched to the Beratta 92 standard sidearm at the same time, '85-'86 from what I remember with out looking it up.:)
Thanks. I got off sea duty in early '84, and recall the Quarterdeck watchstander carrying the .45 . Went on to shore duty assignments afterwards, and no weapon required for (shore duty) watchstanders. At least back then. Not sure about nowadays.

Last edited:
That's a start, but some might say I would have to move conversion too another thread. Propane is higher pressure and NG is low pressure that can still produce the same result on equal stands.
Not exactly. Propane has a lower explosive limit than NG. And It burns hotter. Pressure is regulated. That is to say the natural gas main I am digging up right now, as I type this is what’s called Special IP. The pressure in this main is about 60psi. The pressure coming out of my propane pig at home is about 1 psi.

Not exactly. Propane has a lower explosive limit than NG. And It burns hotter. Pressure is regulated. That is to say the natural gas main I am digging up right now, as I type this is what’s called Special IP. The pressure in this main is about 60psi. The pressure coming out of my propane pig at home is about 1 psi.
Not line pressure! I have ng engines that operate on 6ozs regulated(ford 534 industrial engine about 165hp) from a 2" main line with 15psi. NG is low pressure high volume and propane is higher pressure lower volume on the same engine. Being that btu is close too the same!

Yes that’s correct ‘85. And the 1911 with the all mighty powerful .45acp still used today. But believe it or not as shocking as it may be when you get into the SF groups where they have a little more leeway on what they carry most choose the 9mm in Glock.
Yes, special ops personal started with the 9 and transitioned back to the .45. There theory was and probably still, is to stop a threat with one shot, no matter where you hit them.Even if it just spins them around a few times by hitting them in the arm.It still gives you more time and distance against a threat. Of course a "well placed" shot with any caliber will stop an attack. If I had the choice of hitting my attacker with a brick or a concrete block, I'm going with the concrete block;)

Not line pressure! I have ng engines that operate on 6ozs regulated(ford 534 industrial engine about 165hp) from a 2" main line with 15psi. NG is low pressure high volume and propane is higher pressure lower volume on the same engine. Being that btu is close too the same!

I have no clue about propane powered engines. Or NG powered engines for that matter. Even though the company I work for provides CNG for vehicles. Really I'm an outside animal. I don't go in people's houses or mess with their appliances. I dig up, abandon, install and replace NG mains and services.

Yes, special ops personal started with the 9 and transitioned back to the .45. There theory was and probably still, is to stop a threat with one shot, no matter where you hit them.Even if it just spins them around a few times by hitting them in the arm.It still gives you more time and distance against a threat. Of course a "well placed" shot with any caliber will stop an attack. If I had the choice of hitting my attacker with a brick or a concrete block, I'm going with the concrete block;)
I’m well aware with their theory. There is SF groups, as we speak that are running 9mm. As I said, most get their option of running what they like be it 45acp or 9mm. 😉

I prefer a 9mm
I hit what I want. Granted some days are a little off from others, but a human is dead. Deader than a doornail. No coming back. Less thank 3” at 15 yards on a bad day. Moving on target and target is moving.

I prefer 9mm for humans.
.45 or larger for hogs.

the debate will range as long as man is alive. A .22 or a 9mm or a .45. Folks are dying.

Minnesota fats could whoop a mans ass with a bent pool cue all day long in a billards match. Practice is perfect.
Same with guns.

Whether you died from a .22 or a 10mm. The coroner could care less

With the new ammunition on the market now the 9mm is a very impressive round. I have watched videos of the new critical duty ammo shot in to ballistic gel with a 45 acp and the 9mm the wound channel was devastating with both rounds and then was shot with a 380 acp also extremely impressive. It all comes down to what you prefer to carry size wise for concealment as a good friend once told me I would rather have a 22 in my pocket than a 45 at home on the dresser

I've been reading gun mags since I was a kid and forums more these days, and I remember when the 9mm was absolute "garbage" and worthless. If you didn't have a .45 you didn't have nuthin'... Then the .40 appeared and "fixed" everything. Now, the 9mm is back on top. The .40 is a waste, the .45 is too big and slow, and the 9mm is the greatest thing in the world. Now I know the "experts" are saying the 9 is fine now, but is it really? Has there really been any testing of new 9mm ammo to support this notion that the 9 is fine now? What do you all think?
I received the 4 boxes of 9mm, copper, hollow points I ordered from Steinel a few weeks back. These new rounds were developed, tested, and optimized specifically for sub-compact CCW with 3" barrels. You can see a very big design difference when you hold one up next to a Sig 365 9mm round. The Steinels' expansion petals are scored in almost the length of the bullet. I'm going to shoot some of them tomorrow and try check out the expansion on a couple. Point being, I like that these were made for a very specific gun like my Hellcat. It's not just a "self-defense round", it was made to optimize my pistols performance and judging by the look of it, you would definitely know if you got thumped with one.

Back