testtest

Anyone else into cooking?

Stuffed zucchini. Its what’s for dinner
IMG_5783.jpeg

I myself am an incorrigible dabbler in kitchen and grill magic.......

The stove top, the oven, charcoal, gas, you name it, I'm game.

Steak, pork, chicken, shrimp, burgers, soup...........

I've been nursing along a batch of pasta sauce that seems to be perpetual, and it has only gotten better.

Tonight it's over Angel hair pasta.

The short list of ingredients is: ground beef browned w/peppers, onion, garlic powder, season salt. Simmered with petite diced tomatoes and garlic & oregano sauce, then a few other brand and no name pasta sauces added, along with two or three bay leaves, and oregano. Then cooked on low/medium heat until its bubbling. Then you uncover the pot and let it steep until its nice and thick.

As it's eaten, you add more browned ground beef and your selection of sauce, and other meats, chicken, and pork add texture and flavor as they meld with the sauce.

One day when my metabolism finally calls it quits, I'm gonna weigh 600 pounds.......
I'm a professional chef of 25+ years. My mentor was a 3 time James Beard nominee. I don't cook MUCH at home, except holidays. If you want some good pasta & Cajun recipies, I'm your guy! I also make a mean green tomatillo, jalapeño, cilantro & lime flavored pork chili & serve it over Texmati rice.

Priced out last nights meal at the local 5 star steakhouse:
8oz filet, the sides and our bottle of wine would have been $500+
$50 filet
$14 wedge
$10 mushrooms
X3 wife, myself and son
$200 for the Caymus
20% tip

I’m all in from Kroger for just the food at $70. Wine I got for $55 on sale. Filets were Prime Angus

Love cooking at home

Last edited:
Made up four 93/7 hamburgers, seasoned with onion powder, garlic powder, and season salt.
Am about to finish burger number 2 before I take a deep breath, LOL
Wow! How in the world do you keep any moisture in those with a lean/fat ratio of 93/7? I can live with a 90/10 occasionally, but much prefer an 80/20 (just about right) and even a 75/25 for 'smash burgers if I can find it. I'm going to guess you have a custom meat market where you get your ground meat with that ratio.

Over many years of hunting and processing my own meat, it was typical to go by volume as we mixed beef fat into our venison for making great ground meat. About 4/1 venison to beef fat was normal. That would be about 80/20 assuming the venison weighs out about the same as beef. It was never real accurate since it went like this: 4 handfuls of venison, then 1 handful of beef trimmings went into the grinder for the first pass, then the whole batch would be run through a second time with the next smaller blade screen. Yeh boy, good stuff!

Every Friday afternoon on my way out to camp during the season, I'd stop by a local grocery store where a good friend worked in the meat dept. All week long he'd save the beef trimmings from all type steaks and filets and have it all plastic wrapped for me to pick up. It was only 45 minutes to camp from there so it stayed plenty cold. We'd store it in the walk-in for the weekend and use it up as we processed any deer we had killed the weekend before. Then on the way home Sunday night, I'd stop by his house with a couple packages of really great, ground meat. Uhmmm uhmmm good!!!

Wow! How in the world do you keep any moisture in those with a lean/fat ratio of 93/7? I can live with a 90/10 occasionally, but much prefer an 80/20 (just about right) and even a 75/25 for 'smash burgers if I can find it. I'm going to guess you have a custom meat market where you get your ground meat with that ratio.

Over many years of hunting and processing my own meat, it was typical to go by volume as we mixed beef fat into our venison for making great ground meat. About 4/1 venison to beef fat was normal. That would be about 80/20 assuming the venison weighs out about the same as beef. It was never real accurate since it went like this: 4 handfuls of venison, then 1 handful of beef trimmings went into the grinder for the first pass, then the whole batch would be run through a second time with the next smaller blade screen. Yeh boy, good stuff!

Every Friday afternoon on my way out to camp during the season, I'd stop by a local grocery store where a good friend worked in the meat dept. All week long he'd save the beef trimmings from all type steaks and filets and have it all plastic wrapped for me to pick up. It was only 45 minutes to camp from there so it stayed plenty cold. We'd store it in the walk-in for the weekend and use it up as we processed any deer we had killed the weekend before. Then on the way home Sunday night, I'd stop by his house with a couple packages of really great, ground meat. Uhmmm uhmmm good!!!

90/10 is my preferred ratio, for burgers anyway.
I mix 85/15 and 93/7 when I brown ground beef for meat sauce.
When I use the leaner beef to make hamburger patties I mix about a half cup of worcestershire sauce per pound, and add the other seasoning as I mix the ingredients.

the wife left it to me, to set up tonight's dinner, making spaghetti with olive oil, with garlic and parsley, Parmesan cheese, sprinkled on top.

got much of it set up minutes ago

almost like this..(minus the lemon)

90/10 is my preferred ratio, for burgers anyway.
I mix 85/15 and 93/7 when I brown ground beef for meat sauce.
When I use the leaner beef to make hamburger patties I mix about a half cup of worcestershire sauce per pound, and add the other seasoning as I mix the ingredients.
I use 93/7 exclusively.
Just dont overcook it. Med rare 93/7.

I also only go 100% venison when I process meat. No fat filler.

It’s all in knowing how to cook it properly and not dry it out

Low n slow instead of high heat char is the way to go for lean meat.

Back