testtest

Anyone else into cooking?

Smoked a beercan chicken on the BGE tonight. Used John Henry Chicken Tickler rub. You can't buy chicken that good in a restaurant no matter how hard you try.
Never had a chance to try that 'John Henry' chicken stuff, but sure do like most any beercan chicken. It's pretty hard to mess that up any ol' way you do 'em. And almost any 'ol way you do 'em, they'll be good!!! Here's a kinda' funny note relative to 'beercan' chicken ... and that is that the way I like them least is if actually using the beer in the can to cook 'em. I've used cola's, fruit juices, various fruit drink flavors, and probably several others I don't remember. But doin' 'em with beer is my least favorite.

That beer can thing has always intrigued me. I have never tried it, don't know how it works, but I am always game to try something new.
Well worth trying these ... super simple and oh! so good. But if I may offer a little tip for the newbie ... do not attempt your first one using the real beer can. There are very good and stable wire forms made specifically for holding a beer can sized container and then placing the chicken over it. Using just the can they can be tippy, and hard to work with until one learns the tricks. And the liquid inside the container is scalding hot, sometimes even steaming, and can/will cause sever burns.

The chicken on the can looks really neat and is always a crowd pleaser, but it can also be a very unstable situation that'll ruin an otherwise great meal and a really fine dish. Go for it and good luck.

OK, I'll bite....Even though I went to cooking school (sort-of...I have a BS in hotel & restaurant mgt...which 1/2 the major classes/credits were in foodservice), I've never seen nor heard of 93/7. Now I'm going to find it someplace. I must admit that after 6 years in the industry, I got out to work a lot less and make a lot more money.
Yeh, you won't find that particular grind in just any ol' grocery store or even most specialty meat markets except by special order. That's why I mentioned to USMC6094 that he must have a custom processor to get that ... or maybe he did special order it.

Or if you have a decent grade grinder at home, you can grind your own in about any ratio you want. And if really careful one can actually make a really good ground meat using a plain ol' counter top 'food processor'. It takes a bit more skill, a little more time, and a lot more supervision, but the final product can be a really welcome surprise.

Yeh, you won't find that particular grind in just any ol' grocery store or even most specialty meat markets except by special order. That's why I mentioned to USMC6094 that he must have a custom processor to get that ... or maybe he did special order it.

Or if you have a decent grade grinder at home, you can grind your own in about any ratio you want. And if really careful one can actually make a really good ground meat using a plain ol' counter top 'food processor'. It takes a bit more skill, a little more time, and a lot more supervision, but the final product can be a really welcome surprise.
Every Kroger, and almost every grocer in N Tx sells 93/7 hamburger.
Like every single one

I bought it this week for $5.99lb

Thanks Old_Me...but I know about lean-to-fat ratio in labeling, I just meant that I had never seen it before for sale as 93/7, although I admit I don't study ground beef when shopping. I find a price for 80/20 at or under $5/lb and I'm done. Although the last couple years I've been buying a customer's home slaughtered/packaged ground beef (from his own hobby-herd) and that has been tremendously better than anything I buy in the store. And I must admit that DO love cool-red centers...I'm 55, been eating rare my entire life (starting with 1970's-era cannibal sandwiches...common in WI), and I have yet to get sick even once. And yes, I have plenty of conditions that one might call co-morbidities now that we are covid-educated.
For most of my growing up years we processed much of our own food, especially meats. The ground meat made at home is often times not as sterile as they usually are in commercial plants. So the contamination factor is increased to some extent. And even in those cases where we hunters process our kills, we often use the same knife to butcher that we used to dress them out. The potential there for contamination of ground meat is even higher.

The issue is that if one does get some contamination on the outside of a big piece of beef or venison (roast/steak, etc), then when it's cooked in a pan, over coals, in an oven or wherever, the heat is typically enough on the outside of that meat to kill any bacteria such as ecola, etc. But in ground meat, that contamination can be mixed in and through the ground meat and if not cooked to high enough temps, those bacteria may not be killed off. Now it's not like it happens every day with every batch of ground meat, but if it does happen, someone will pay a heck of a price with food poisoning or worse.

I think I mentioned earlier that my preference even with a good burger is a little pink in the center, but my better judgement just forces me to go ahead and cook a little more than I'd prefer. Another little tid-bit is that I rarely use an internal thermometer when cooking steaks, chops, roasts, etc ... but I will usually use that internal thermometer when cooking ground meat, chicken/turkey. I'd rather take a serious azz whipping than to serve anyone a piece of chicken breast or turkey not completely done. I'll even use one to check pork on rare occasions. Just words to the wise! (y)

Fat content… 93/7 is super lean meat.
Leaves barely any grease in a pan and very little flare ups on grill
80/20 is super fatty and will splatter and get all that grease running on the grill
Here's a really good example of two opinions on something as simple as fat content. I know KF1977 to be a great cook from many conversations we've had here on the forum, and his opinion is that 80/20 is "super fatty". Mine on the other hand is that 80/20 is just about right for most things using ground meat. I certainly don't consider it 'super fatty'. Either can be 'good eats' when prepared correctly by the right cook. But like I said before, when I'm eating pan fried pork chops, any BBQ ribs, and similar ... I enjoy them most when the grease drips off my elbows. LOL!

Last edited:
I use a ceramic cooker called Sittin Chicken. I fill it with beer and set the chicken down on it-it will fit inside the cavity. Water with lemon works as well. Rub the chicken with John Henry Chicken Tickler. I set the smoker temp at 225 and allow 45 minutes per pound but it is usually done well ahead of time. It is always tender and moist.
Sittin' Chicken Ceramic Beer Can Steamer & Roaster- Easily Infuse Marinade & Sauce flavors Into Your Meat- Wide Ceramic Base for Oven Or Grill Use- Durable, Reusable for any Recipe & Easy Meal Prep https://a.co/d/0vkpk68
I've seen and used some very similar but first time I've seen these ... just might have to get a couple and give 'em a try. My favorites are a chrome plated wire frame that sits inside a shallow pan when cooking. Thnx Haynes.

Last edited:
Once it's steeped and thickened up, the chicken and more sauce will bulk the pot back up, and depending on the length of time I feel like devoting to it, and a nice pork loin added late, there'll be two gallons in the pot before the eating starts.
What time??? ;):)

Every Kroger, and almost every grocer in N Tx sells 93/7 hamburger.
Like every single one

I bought it this week for $5.99lb
Don't recollect ever seeing it in our local groceries. But then we don't have any Krogers and I don't remember ever looking real hard for it since the wife typically does the grocery shopping. I've always processed my own venison and most beef so it never mattered. I mixed what I wanted. (y)

I brought home an order of grilled chicken quesadillas from the restaurant I had lunch at yesterday. They are always better reheated in the air frier. I have some left over guacamole too, and that's always better because all the flavors have blended more. I think I'll have me a margarita with it...nothing quite as good as @KillerFord1977, but not too shabby I'm sure. If the wind would die down, I may even eat it on the deck. :cool: :giggle:

Back