testtest

Are you over prepared ?

I don't know if it's still available but Hornady TAP ammo may shed some light on 223 & 308 for possible use in home defense. They made this stuff all the way to 338 Lapua. They had several different bullet designs for specific purposes.
This is what I got, that is loaded with "Patented FTX Bullets". Yes, sometimes I can a tactical buffoon, only sometimes and I'm trying to quit. To my defense, it was heavily discounted and they look very cool in the translucent Lancer Mags :ROFLMAO:

1698242260810.png

I just went online, Hornady TAP ammo is still being sold. I don't know if the critical defense line uses similar bullets.
I see that, thanks! I am a little confused by their description though, 1 & 2 seem contradictory. Maybe I'm not understanding what they mean.

1. The Hornady® 223 Rem 55 gr. TAP Urban® is the preferred choice for use in SBRs, carbines, and rifles when the probability for barrier penetration is low.

2. Rapid expansion provides dramatic wound cavities, massive fragmentation, and prevents over penetration on non-barrier engagements.

Yeah, I have plenty of similar ones from norma or Sig, neither of these guys claim surgically local nuclear explosion wound cavities with no collateral impact :LOL:
If you’ve ever seen one work in actual tissue, you’d know that was a true statement.

A .223 NBT strike to a woodchuck’s midsection will blow it in thirds; front third (rib cage forward), back third (pelvis & legs), and vaporized third (everything in between the two spread in a red mist for about 3’ beyond).

A .308 NBT strike to a deer’s boiler room turns the lungs into pink pulp and the heart into barely cohesive hamburger.

I see that, thanks! I am a little confused by their description though, 1 & 2 seem contradictory. Maybe I'm not understanding what they mean.

1. The Hornady® 223 Rem 55 gr. TAP Urban® is the preferred choice for use in SBRs, carbines, and rifles when the probability for barrier penetration is low.

2. Rapid expansion provides dramatic wound cavities, massive fragmentation, and prevents over penetration on non-barrier engagements.
Before I could reply to you, HansGruber gave a good explanation. The TAP urban ammo is probably the same bullet style as lightweight varmint ammo. Can't say for sure but he's probably right.

M193 is good enough for me.
I have shot hundreds of M193 rounds, still have a 1000 rounds or so. In my AR it is accurate with velocities around 3000fps out of a 16" barrel. Sorry Bassbob, don't think I would use this for home defense. Of course if this was all I had I would most definitely use it. I don't keep an AR ready but I do keep a short barreled Rem 870 12 ga shotgun loaded with 00 buck shot next to my bed. I've contemplated using #4 buck, still on the fence.

I have shot hundreds of M193 rounds, still have a 1000 rounds or so. In my AR it is accurate with velocities around 3000fps out of a 16" barrel. Sorry Bassbob, don't think I would use this for home defense. Of course if this was all I had I would most definitely use it. I don't keep an AR ready but I do keep a short barreled Rem 870 12 ga shotgun loaded with 00 buck shot next to my bed. I've contemplated using #4 buck, still on the fence.
@HansGruber likes #4. Lots of people do. I buy it to train with because it's cheaper, or used to be. For HD they're all loaded with 00B. Lately I've done some testing and I'm really liking the Federal Force X2.

As for the AR, my reasoning is simple. For non barrier penetrating, M193 is better for SD than M855. In my situation I am not worried about over penetration. In fact I think all the hoopla about over penetration is largely just internet gun forum blather. About the same as modifying a trigger on a carry gun. Yeah it makes perfect sense on paper and yeah people in apartment buildings have different considerations than I do, but in the real world it just isn't something that happens. I understand it absolutely could happen, particularly with a rifle round as opposed to 00B, but it simply doesn't apply to me personally. I would almost have to be trying to shoot from inside my house and hit something outside the house.

Also, an AR is not my 1st or even 2nd line of defense inside my home. ALL of mine reside in safes. If I break out an AR for a SD situation it would be an extraordinary event and would almost certainly involve multiple assailants, out of doors. The likelihood of which is very near zero.

@HansGruber likes #4. Lots of people do. I buy it to train with because it's cheaper, or used to be. For HD they're all loaded with 00B. Lately I've done some testing and I'm really liking the Federal Force X2.

As for the AR, my reasoning is simple. For non barrier penetrating, M193 is better for SD than M855. In my situation I am not worried about over penetration. In fact I think all the hoopla about over penetration is largely just internet gun forum blather. About the same as modifying a trigger on a carry gun. Yeah it makes perfect sense on paper and yeah people in apartment buildings have different considerations than I do, but in the real world it just isn't something that happens. I understand it absolutely could happen, particularly with a rifle round as opposed to 00B, but it simply doesn't apply to me personally. I would almost have to be trying to shoot from inside my house and hit something outside the house.

Also, an AR is not my 1st or even 2nd line of defense inside my home. ALL of mine reside in safes. If I break out an AR for a SD situation it would be an extraordinary event and would almost certainly involve multiple assailants, out of doors. The likelihood of which is very near zero.
I'm exactly on the same page as you on AR, shotgun and over-penetration, we're on 4 acres and a big house, neighbors wouldn't be collateral damage. My only issue would be concussion/disorientation, but suppressors mitigate that in a manner almost tolerable.

I might look into #4 if it's that much cheaper, but our range only allows slugs unfortunately... I understand why, but it sucks...

I'm exactly on the same page as you on AR, shotgun and over-penetration, we're on 4 acres and a big house, neighbors wouldn't be collateral damage. My only issue would be concussion/disorientation, but suppressors mitigate that in a manner almost tolerable.

I might look into #4 if it's that much cheaper, but our range only allows slugs unfortunately... I understand why, but it sucks...
#4 is certainly a legitimate SD load. #1 too. I have a lot of both, but as I said for training.

I live in an old neighborhood, would guess most are senior citizens. I can barely remember the last burglary, had some gas thefts and even one catalytic converter theft. Even though we don't have a lot of crime, you never know who's next or how far the perpetrators will go to get your stuff.

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of water and food supplies?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of basic tools and the skills to use them?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your knowledge of how to hunt, forage, grow things?"

Are "over-prepared" in terms of your current first aid skills? First aid supplies? Medications?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your basic fitness?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your access to cash?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your vehicle supplies?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of who is part of your intentional community, and the complimentary skills they bring to the collective table?"

These are the most important questions we should be asking ourselves, imo.

My department used #4 buck. NRA LE instructor training holds that #4 is most effective at 15 yards, 00 buck is best for 25. Beyond that I am select loading slugs
Way back in the day my dept issued #4's. Our chief of police was an avid golfer had us go out at night to shoot armadillos that were damaging the greens on our country club course. Go figure, small town Texas.

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of water and food supplies?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of basic tools and the skills to use them?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your knowledge of how to hunt, forage, grow things?"

Are "over-prepared" in terms of your current first aid skills? First aid supplies? Medications?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your basic fitness?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your access to cash?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of your vehicle supplies?

Are you "over-prepared" in terms of who is part of your intentional community, and the complimentary skills they bring to the collective table?"

These are the most important questions we should be asking ourselves, imo.
True enough. This video isn't about prepping though. It's about not trying to load out like you're a Navy Seal when you're going to work. Or the mall.

Back