testtest

Are you over prepared ?

You are short AF though, but you do look good in purple.
Like that? :D

1698159919584.png

A MUCH different time and style of warfare. You're talking about muskets with shortened barrels and black powder, tomahawks, knives and single shot pistols in addition to HARD Canadian wilderness living. Your enemy was armed with the same or similar equipment and that needs to be taken into account in today's context.

BTW my absolute favorite gun is my single shot 12 gauge and I carry that with my belt axe when I go hunting. My point is I wouldn't want that for a combat situation necessarily. Even if I do shoot it like a muzzleloader

A MUCH different time and style of warfare. You're talking about muskets with shortened barrels and black powder, tomahawks, knives and single shot pistols in addition to HARD Canadian wilderness living. Your enemy was armed with the same or similar equipment and that needs to be taken into account in today's context.

BTW my absolute favorite gun is my single shot 12 gauge and I carry that with my belt axe when I go hunting. My point is I wouldn't want that for a combat situation necessarily. Even if I do shoot it like a muzzleloader
Lol, thanks, don't know what I was thinking, thank you for the correction.

I will still dress more like that than a modern spec ops troop, just my preference in taste and comfort even if I carry a bit more modern weapon, say a. 30 carbine. 😉 maybe a lever action. I have serious doubts I am going to be taking on a modern army unit,where I would lose spectacularly i think its more a matter of confort and familiarity with obes chosen equipment. Most of my time, probably the vast majority of time where I might actually make use or have access to anything beyond a daily carry handgun is on my turf, anyone i may have to fight awill be fighting me where I am a hell of a lot more comfortable than they are, woods and homestead I know as well as my palm.

Last edited:
I feel so secure knowing soldiers like this are going to protect me. I'm old & overweight but I'm not going to war any time soon, hopefully.
It really depends on the military unit.

Even though I've been out of the Marine Corps since 1979, I still talk to a few active duty soldiers from different branches just to get an idea of what's currently going on. When I taught martial arts in the Dallas area one of my students was a 1st Sargent in the Army Reserve and had served active duty for almost 20 years.

Another of my students I taught in Arkansas was a Captain in the Army. He used to wear ARMY t-shirts to class because he told me Marines needed help with their ABC's..:) That former Captain is one of the toughest guys I've ever known.

Many of the younger fellow Marines I talk to still have very similar fitness levels and attitudes that I had when I was in.

I've been blessed in that I've been able to stay in decent shape, even after surviving surgeries from a motorcycle accident and quadruple bypass surgery.

Some people can look at French Fries and gain 10 pounds, I've been blessed to be able to keep my weight (165) where I'm pretty strong and mobile for a 65 year old. I work at it every day (diet and exercise..mostly martial arts training and workouts with light kettle bells 10 lb and 30 lb.).

It's the little things you do every day that can help you stay in shape or get into shape. I'm glad I never got addicted to nicotine or alcohol and still don't drink or smoke.

THE RANGER CREED

In 1759, a young but experienced Major Robert Rogers formed nine companies of rangers and "for their benefit and instruction reduced into writing the following rules, or plans of discipline." These standing orders were developed from Rogers' experiences during the French and Indian War, and he considered them "necessary and advantageous.

Robert Rogers' standing orders for his Rangers are still valid today

1. Don't forget nothing.

2. Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

3. When you're on the march, act the way you would if you was sneaking up on a deer. See the enemy first.

4. Tell the truth about what you see and do. There is an army depending on us for correct information. You can lie all you please when you tell other folks about the Rangers, but don't never lie to a Ranger or officer.

5. Don't never take a chance you don't have to.

6. When we're on the march we march single file, far enough apart so one shot can't go through two men.

7. If we strike swamps, or soft ground, we spread out abreast, so it's hard to track us.

8. When we march, we keep moving 'til dark, so as to give the enemy the least possible chance at us.

9. When we camp, half the party stays awake while the other half sleeps.

10. If we take prisoners, we keep 'em separate 'til we have had time to examine them, so they can't cook up a story between 'em.

11. Don't ever march home the same way. Take a different route so you won't be ambushed.

12. No matter whether we travel in big parties or little ones, each party has to keep a scout 20 yards ahead, twenty yards on each flank and twenty yards in the rear, so the main body can't be surprised and wiped out.

13. Every night you'll be told where to meet if surrounded by a superior force.

14. Don't sit down to eat without posting sentries.

15. Don't sleep beyond dawn. Dawn's when the French and Indians attack.

16. Don't cross a river by a regular ford.

17. If somebody's trailing you, make a circle, come back onto your own tracks, and ambush the folks that aim to ambush you.

18. Don't stand up when the enemy's coming against you. Kneel down. Hide behind a tree.

19. Let the enemy come 'till he's almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your hatchet.

20. Don't use your musket if you can kill them with your hatchet

This whole discussion sort of got me thinking how this type "survival preps" sort of goes in and out of, "style" for lack of a better term.

First I can remember a bit was the cold war nuclear war phase, where fallout shelters were all the rage. People were taking thier forefathers idea of a well stocked pantry and blowing up into shelter, weapons and supplies all in one handy dandy safe room where they were supposed to be safe from the bombs and thier neighbors.

Then it kind of died down a bit. Until it started ramping back up in a more militant 60s and in a military type manner in the militia golden age of things like the Turner Diaries, Timothy McVeigh, Ruby Ridge etc. Then this all culminated in Y2k the premier non event of the century. Many thought this was the end of the world and prepared that way. I know, I was right in the center of Y2k as the person in charge of Y2k for a large automotive supplier. Add to that the burgeoning internet with more information, and disinformation at your fingertips than ever in history and people went nuts. Companies like Frugal Swuirrel made a living feeding "information" and selling supplies. Until the bust of Jan. 1 2000 like I tried to tell people for an entire year prior.

Then it all slowed but a steady diet of things like the Myan Calander , zombies/apoocolypse movies, and other things kept it alive to a degree. Since then, crime, changing political tactics, the widening chasm between ideologies, international politics, BLM, a global pandemic and other factors have cranked it all back into high gear.

Its interesting, and maybe a bit scarier than the others I remember.

Just observations from my experience others will see things differnt of course.

This whole discussion sort of got me thinking how this type "survival preps" sort of goes in and out of, "style" for lack of a better term.

First I can remember a bit was the cold war nuclear war phase, where fallout shelters were all the rage. People were taking thier forefathers idea of a well stocked pantry and blowing up into shelter, weapons and supplies all in one handy dandy safe room where they were supposed to be safe from the bombs and thier neighbors.

Then it kind of died down a bit. Until it started ramping back up in a more militant 60s and in a military type manner in the militia golden age of things like the Turner Diaries, Timothy McVeigh, Ruby Ridge etc. Then this all culminated in Y2k the premier non event of the century. Many thought this was the end of the world and prepared that way. I know, I was right in the center of Y2k as the person in charge of Y2k for a large automotive supplier. Add to that the burgeoning internet with more information, and disinformation at your fingertips than ever in history and people went nuts. Companies like Frugal Swuirrel made a living feeding "information" and selling supplies. Until the bust of Jan. 1 2000 like I tried to tell people for an entire year prior.

Then it all slowed but a steady diet of things like the Myan Calander , zombies/apoocolypse movies, and other things kept it alive to a degree. Since then, crime, changing political tactics, the widening chasm between ideologies, international politics, BLM, a global pandemic and other factors have cranked it all back into high gear.

In my world, Hogs dont go out of style.. or get less in population.
I stay prepped
🤣🤣🤣🤣 🤠🤠🤠

In my world, Hogs dont go out of style.. or get less in population.
I stay prepped
🤣🤣🤣🤣 🤠🤠🤠
I understand that I mean for those who go overboard , buy ever my single new toy, the pictures in the beginning of thread type. Buy a garage full of toilet paper, yes I did see that during y2k. That's what I mean by style.

There always have been, and will be those, like most here, who prepare for... life, and all that entails or try to at least. Exactly like the old well stocked pantry and hunting gear of yore.

Last edited:

I'm giving serious consideration to a fallout shelter now.

I'll tell you what I regret the most getting because I know I do know better: I bought the marketing crap of "home defense" 5.56 and 308. Hornady ammo, looked cool with their little flex tip, "less penetration". It's 5.56 and 308 how is less penetration viable inside the home? It sounded cool, I pressed the "buy" button and kicked my own ar$e right after I paid for it. I do know better and still fell for it!

5.56 Green tip is all I have at home, the rest is for range. Whatever YouTube says, green tips punctures IIIA, so there you go. But that's not really home defense, more perimeter defense. Not gonna use 5.56 or 308 inside the home for defense (although with suppressor it's almost tempting), but all my optics are zeroed to my own property's perimeter and I don't change them, just Kentucky-adjust at the range (math is good for the brain). I used to have different magazine colors/capacity for green tip until "someone" (bless her heart) decided to reorganize "because it looked better that way" 🤣

Best of all, there's a 99% chance we will never know who's right as all we're going to "fight" is paper enemies, so many of our good or bad decisions won't have much of an impact. If we need to use anything, I'd wager luck will have a bigger say than gear, and at least half of the gear is going to fail at the "right" moment, no manner how pampered, well taken care of and clean this gear is maintained.
To be fair anything traveling over 1200 FPS will penetrate IIIA, including M193.
I don't know if it's still available but Hornady TAP ammo may shed some light on 223 & 308 for possible use in home defense. They made this stuff all the way to 338 Lapua. They had several different bullet designs for specific purposes.

Back