testtest

Ayoob: Is the 1911 Wrong for CCW?

I completely agree with Massad. I have been carrying a 1911 for 35 years in law-enforcement and government work. I have carried other firearms as well but the 1911 has always been my primary choice. It is accurate, reliable, and powerful. It conceals easily, but the key is dressing around it. That means you may not be able to carry it with tight fitting clothing, but any firearm of a suitable caliber requires you to dress around it. I mostly prefer IWB carry and there are many good holster makers, some relatively inexpensive. I teach police combat shooting and tactics, and have been a firearms instructor for 30 years, and when I see an officer or civilian properly trained with a 1911, that person usually excels in all training. Of course we are fortunate to have a lot of excellent firearms to choose from, but still I believe the 1911 is still among the best. Stay well.

Thank you Mas. I have followed you since 1989 when I was a young prosecutor. I am familiar with your love of the 1911. I have carried a Colt Commander and an Officer's Model. I know you are not a fan of the Officer's Model but mine functioned perfectly. Still, the 1911 is not my first choice. They are a pain to field strip compared to most modern pistols. As you mentioned, they are heavy. While I will always have one in my safe, I carry striker-fired pistols as my EDC because they are accurate and very reliable. If I were to carry a service-sized .45 it would be a Sig P220.

I have an EMP 4, 9mm 1911. I have all IWB holsters as the OWB are harder to conceal for me. I love the gun, but the latger handle makes it harder for me to conceal. I stopped carrying it and went back to my favorite carry: XDm Compact 3.8" 9mm. I carry with the shorter mag and pinky grip and carry an extra 19 round mag. I also don't like the limited rounds for the 1911's - even the 9mm with only 10 round mags. Under pressure, I know I won't be shooting well...

To each their own. Also, whenever I carried the 1911, I never set the thumb safety on. I didn't see a need for it and going back and forth would screw up my little brain for the non-thumb safety of my other XDm's - I have a 4.5" 45, and a duty 4" XD 9mm...

Peace,
Michael J.

The 5" is just too big and heavy for me. And I could never understand the Commander with the shorter barrel (We need longer barrels for sight radius, accuracy, weight out front to combat muzzle flip, and velocity.) and long grip which is harder to conceal. So I settled on an Officer model from (ugh!) Ruger with an aluminum frame in 9MM. I works well, is much lighter, and SMALLER IN LENGTH AND HEIGHT. I wish I could get a set of thin grips, which I can't find. I'll save the three 5 inchers for competition. Nice to read somebody with creds standing up for the 1911 platform.

I used to carry a Kimber tactical ultra with 3" BBL. It shot great and was plenty accurate . I would still have and carry it if it hadn't been for me wanting to get the LCP II for pocket carry . I traded the Kimber for my XDs .45 , the LCP II and a couple extra mags for each plus a box of ammo for each.

If I can work it out I will one day own a S. A. Ronin.

I really appreciate this article. RIGHT-ON! The 1911 in its many forms used to be the standard CCW carry pistol. Not that long ago. I carried a full size Colt GOVT Model Series 70, then a Colt Light Weight Stainless Commander & a similar Kimber, now an EMP in 9MM. I'm 50 pounds over weight so I'm soft around the middle so I do not have to buy over-size pants. Used to carry in an ASKINS AVENGER-style OWB holster (seen in this article) until I discovered APPENDIX carry. I carry a MAG or two OWB... so used to it I don't notice unless for some reason I am not carrying! I have been a certified firearms INSTR since 1988 and I try almost every weapon that comes along for concealed carry. I prefer bigger weapons for ease of use... with proper holsters heavier pistols are not a problem. Weight is NOT AN ISSUE with IWB appendix carry. I had a real love affair with SIGs (226s & 229s) for about ten years. I got over it and went right back to 1911s. Just about everything is more complicated and thicker than a 1911. The fire control system on 1911s is about as simple and reliable as it gets - BUT ONE MUST DILIGENTLY TRAIN with his weapon if he is going to carry! If concerned about weight you can find Light Weight Commanders that weigh only 26 ounces. I shoot my carry guns ALLOT, wear them out even. The heavier the better for shooting... the lighter the better for carrying BUT there are easy compromises. I have grown to appreciate heavier CCW weapons because the heavier they are the better bludgeons they are when things get really close. I think everyone carrying concealed should train using their carry weapon(s) as a "last-ditch" impact weapon! "POCKET PISTOLS" make poor primary weapons, my opinion. I use them as a back-up to my Commander or EMP occasionally. The smaller and lighter the handgun the less I want to carry it for worst case situations - my opinion. I have never had a situation that I could not find an efficient comfortable way to carry a full size or a "Commander-size" weapon. It just takes a flexible wardrobe and an open mind. I live in a HOT AREA... light weight, thin clothes most of the year BUT I still carry BIG HEALTHY weapons!

The 5" is just too big and heavy for me. And I could never understand the Commander with the shorter barrel (We need longer barrels for sight radius, accuracy, weight out front to combat muzzle flip, and velocity.) and long grip which is harder to conceal. So I settled on an Officer model from (ugh!) Ruger with an aluminum frame in 9MM. I works well, is much lighter, and SMALLER IN LENGTH AND HEIGHT. I wish I could get a set of thin grips, which I can't find. I'll save the three 5 inchers for competition. Nice to read somebody with creds standing up for the 1911 platform.
That is your opinion and you are welcome to it! The Commander's barrel length is four inches and that is in fact is about the best for most when it comes to "sight radius" and "balance". With proper grip & practice "muzzle flip" is greatly diminished... You are right about the length of the butt being progressively more difficult to conceal BUT too short causes grip & "control" problems. I'll skip the rest of what I am thinking... Trade your "Ruger Officer model"(?) and buy a Springfield EMP. In general if a weapon feels too heavy to you it is because you are not using the right support system. Many of my students are much older now and they DO IN FACT have a problem with "weight" and "muzzle flip". I show my students and allow use of many options. As people age their guns do tend to get smaller. Most of my students, after much trial & consideration, pick either an EMP in 9MM or a S&W SHIELD in 9MM.

I work my Springfield 1911 RO into my EDC on a reg basis, the only thing I find is it’s uncomfortable sometimes because of its weight.
Great article Mike!!!
Very good sir! Try MICH ROSEN holsters & belts. I much prefer leather next to my body rather than any form of polymer. OWB polymer works well for me BUT IWB I stick to leather- a very personal choice for sure. Your comfort level is proportional to the appropriateness of your holster and belt combination.

Back