testtest

Beef.. Its not for dinner

I’ve hit hogs with every grain of 5.56 & .223 from 55 to 77.
First shot earhole. Dead.
Follow on shots with hogs at 30mph to get the hell out of dodge. Earhole is hard to do.
Grendel
Creedmore
.300 BO
Work way better.
Even the .300 BO and .308 will get runner if not a perfect shot. Had one 2 weeks ago take 4 .300 BO and 2 .308 to drop him. Almost 300Lbs
Damn, sounds like your are the person to consult on the hog hunting...lol. I can see where taking one down on the run would be a challenge no matter what caliber you're using, but it sure looks like it would be fun to try.

I'd really like to go on one of those nighttime feral hog hunts. Looks like it would be fun and I'd like to try out my Colt M4 on a hog.
For the record, I took my Colt LE M4 for that very reason. Just wanted to shoot it withq my NV /helmet and Aimpoint w NV capability.

Tough to drop them. Got 2 separate first shot kills to head, but didnt drop any runners. Switched to my Saint .308 and got back to biz as usual.

5B855D84-0BF3-4A35-BBF4-6FD90E58F22A.jpeg

For the record, I took my Colt LE M4 for that very reason. Just wanted to shoot it withq my NV /helmet and Aimpoint w NV capability.

Tough to drop them. Got 2 separate first shot kills to head, but didnt drop any runners. Switched to my Saint .308 and got back to biz as usual.

View attachment 22822
I very much like your Colt. My LE6920 SOCOM below...

Attachments

• riflepic3.jpg
    riflepic3.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 147
I'm glad you mentioned this because to me the only you could end up shooting cow is either hunting at night with a spotlight where you can only see eyes or shooting at a deer standing in the middle of a cow herd. The spotlighting is illegal in Va and shooting over a field of cows where it is possible you could hit one is just not right.
I disagree. There is a special kind of stupid that goes along the line of just want to see what it is like to shoot a cow.

Back as a youth one of the worst places for hunting "accidents" in NY State was the Southern Tier unit which is the Southwestern NYS/PA border area. The farmers would paint COW on the side of their cattle with bright florescent paint and they would still get shot. Had a Game Warden friend tell me that he stopped a vehicle with a couple of hunters out of NY City coming out of the private road that he lived on that was posted against hunting. Not only were they trespassing but they also took a "deer" from private lands posted against hunting. When he looked in the bed of the pickup he found his pet goat, gutted and tagged.
Although sad for the Goat and owner of the Goat I will say that ranks as the
G.O.A.T screwup.

Sorry couldn’t help myself. 😂😂😂😂

Some good points made above, and there is no excuse for stupidity in a shooting situation ...... however there is ignorance, carelessness, and even a phenomenon called 'Early Blur' in some hunting situations that often/can cause the wrong animal to be shot, or sometimes even another hunter. I can site several cases where even an experienced hunter can offend to this degree. Sad but true, the more experienced one is does not necessarily mean he will be less likely than an inexperienced hunter to have a bad shooting incident.

And I'd be willing to bet that if truth were known, at least some of us here on this very forum have done one of the very worst things that can lead to bad shooting. I'm in a pinch for time and got to run, but I do love cussing/discussing the reasons behind some of these accidents. I'll be back later this PM.

Read about 'Early Blur' here:

Very good thought provoking article JJ,
Preconceived notions may come into play in a humans mind and alter their thoughts big time. Likely best to approach a scenario with a clear, fresh, almost empty mind at times to expect the unexpected like many children do. Sometimes, preconditioning usually in more experienced adults can create nightmares and unrealistic approaches to something that's either there or not. Most things are fresh and new to children because of their lack of experience in so many things. Adults often overlook things sometimes taking things for granted that children do not and vice versa.

Preconceived notions can lead to many things. Like thinking someone's possibly homeless or poor just because they may be unkempt or dirty or have an older vehicle? In some ways too like desert mirages or hallucinations and possibly being accustomed to something so much it becomes reality even when not present or true.

Then, like when something becomes so familiar it almost ceases to exist or be noticed? An example may be if everyone drove with their vehicles headlights on 24/7? After awhile they may not have a safety effect at all because people had become so familiar with them as far as others visibility of them? Vehicles with similar colors as roadways can create issues the same as with contrasting colors attracting attention? Variety is the spice of life may come to mind? - It may be more of a solution or a cure than some people may realize or think too? A variety of shapes, colors contrasts, sounds, environments among other things can come into play in better evaluations. Too much of most anything can lead to other issues like a kid eating too much candy leading to a belly ache. List could almost go on indefinitely in that direction.

Further on in the article, overconfidence, too much familiarity, bias, expectations and sometimes an inflated ego may come into mind as well in the article with some people? Too much rapidity, doing things too quickly may sound counterproductive in some ways to some people, but good timing isn't always about speed or quickness, it's about accurateness and balance. One thing often reflects on another, either creating a balance or imbalance. Life needs a good balance of many things to keep on track and avoid typecasting people, things and scenarios from experience. Too much work, too much effort without play time or something else to break the monotony can create too much stress. That stress, the almost invisible monster, can all too often create mistakes.

Is and can be much more involved than the article points out. Much is related to stress as well. Many modern day events create other events that usually didn't occur in the past because of rapidly evolving technology moving so quickly now days. The human brain can only handle so much at a time as the article basically explains. Filling in the blanks rightly or wrongly can be one of them. That usually indicates stress when something doesn't turn out in the way as intended or perceived.

Earlier today I made the statement that likely some/most of us experienced hunters here on the forum are probably guilty of one of the most simple and often causes of a bad shooting in a hunting situation. Certainly that was no accusation towards anyone, only an assertion of something that happens so often that it's often totally overlooked and not even recognized as a bad thing even as it's happening.

I'm more than a little surprised that no one has asked just what that thing is. I'd like to ask the forum if anyone knows what it might be, or has any suggestions as to what it is. It more often than not happens as a quick response but not a reflex action to something else happening and is usually over and done before we even realize we've done it. (y)(y)(y)

It doesn't necessarily make us bad hunters, it just shows that most of us are human and fallible.

Back as a youth one of the worst places for hunting "accidents" in NY State was the Southern Tier unit which is the Southwestern NYS/PA border area. The farmers would paint COW on the side of their cattle with bright florescent paint and they would still get shot. Had a Game Warden friend tell me that he stopped a vehicle with a couple of hunters out of NY City coming out of the private road that he lived on that was posted against hunting. Not only were they trespassing but they also took a "deer" from private lands posted against hunting. When he looked in the bed of the pickup he found his pet goat, gutted and tagged.
I've heard of both these situations over the years, painting COW on the cows in VA and actually had a guy bring a goat into a deer checking station in MD.

I’ve hit hogs with every grain of 5.56 & .223 from 55 to 77.
First shot earhole. Dead.
Follow on shots with hogs at 30mph to get the hell out of dodge. Earhole is hard to do.
Grendel
Creedmore
.300 BO
Work way better.
Even the .300 BO and .308 will get runner if not a perfect shot. Had one 2 weeks ago take 4 .300 BO and 2 .308 to drop him. Almost 300Lbs
Never hunted wild hogs. Good to know you shoot for the ear hole in case I ever run across one.

When I lived in Arkansas in the mid 80's I went wild boar hunting up in the Ozarks. Back then you had to have a guide take you so you don't go walking up on a pot grow or moonshine operation or a booby trapped trail and before our guide took any "uninitiated" boar hunters out he gave you the wild boar 101 course. That's when I learned that they are vicious creatures and they don't go down easy.

When I lived in Arkansas in the mid 80's I went wild boar hunting up in the Ozarks. Back then you had to have a guide take you so you don't go walking up on a pot grow or moonshine operation or a booby trapped trail and before our guide took any "uninitiated" boar hunters out he gave you the wild boar 101 course. That's when I learned that they are vicious creatures and they don't go down easy.
Had a boar stand his ground on a private farm road to a Chevy truck. We were driving around doing some maintenance to the property and came across him walking along the trail. He was not intimidated by the truck and actually stood in the road at us head down and bowed up.
Didnt have a rifle with us. Just a .410 for snakes.
He went about his way after jogging off

Earlier today I made the statement that likely some/most of us experienced hunters here on the forum are probably guilty of one of the most simple and often causes of a bad shooting in a hunting situation. Certainly that was no accusation towards anyone, only an assertion of something that happens so often that it's often totally overlooked and not even recognized as a bad thing even as it's happening.

I'm more than a little surprised that no one has asked just what that thing is. I'd like to ask the forum if anyone knows what it might be, or has any suggestions as to what it is. It more often than not happens as a quick response but not a reflex action to something else happening and is usually over and done before we even realize we've done it. (y)(y)(y)

It doesn't necessarily make us bad hunters, it just shows that most of us are human and fallible.
A week ago I offered this to anyone and everyone, but no takers. So, can I assume everyone here knows what the issue is and there's no need for anyone to ask ..... or that no one knows what it is and just doesn't care?

Not being judgemental here in the least, just really surprised. In the many years of teaching the state hunter safety program, it seemed to always be an eye opener for some who had never thought about it. (y)(y)(y)

A week ago I offered this to anyone and everyone, but no takers. So, can I assume everyone here knows what the issue is and there's no need for anyone to ask ..... or that no one knows what it is and just doesn't care?

Not being judgemental here in the least, just really surprised. In the many years of teaching the state hunter safety program, it seemed to always be an eye opener for some who had never thought about it. (y)(y)(y)

I admit, I only now really read all the responses in the thread. And I only now read Joe's earlier post and that was after reading his latter post. If I had to guess I would say you're talking about "Glassing" through your scope. Or pointing a gun at an animal before you know what it is. Of course that's really only a problem if you lack trigger discipline or if you're one of those who just like to kill shite. That said, I rarely hunt with a scope and I always have binoculars.

Of course I could be mistaken about what you're talking about. In reality it could be a number of things, but considering we are talking about shooting cows when you're deer hunting.......

I had my #2 pencil ready for the multiple choice bubbles

Rule one is always safety - know your target and what's beyond is part of that.

A good article on beginners hunting 101:

Bassbob is right on even if it was a guess. The prize will be a "Dewey Wins" button from 1948 as soon as I find one. Congrats there Bob, and right on!

One of the most common mistakes made by even the most experienced hunters is while while sitting in a tree stand and see a flicker of movement across the pasture, corn field, or food plot, and especially if it's very late and just before legal hours end, they will jerk their scoped rifle up to take a quick look. Well, if the rifle's scope is 'on', they've just violated the first rule of safe gun handling and pointed their gun directly at something they're not prepared to destroy. It also happens when walking back to the truck after a late morning hunt and you see that little flicker of movement, your Binocs are tucked tight under the chest straps so up goes the rifle for just a quick look.

Now, no one thinks before they do it about it being an unsafe practice because it is such a quick impulsive action/reaction although not a reflex action. And it's so common, it's amazing how many hunters would actually admit to having done it at one time or another during a class.

"I've done it Mr. Joe .... I just didn't think about it like that!" is the typical comment. And the commenter is right.

Most of my life I have hunted southern Missouri. 40 yard shots are the norm. It’s actually pretty rare I even need binoculars to identify an animal. I used to bow hunt with a recurve. That’s a bow you don’t draw until you’re ready to shoot. Although I don’t remember a specific incident, I’m reasonably certain that after I got my first rifle scope I committed the aforementioned offense. After all, a magnified optic was a brand new novelty to me.

☝️☝️☝️ Well, there ya' go !!! 👍👍👍 Very similar comment to many of those I've heard this from. Thanks Bob.

Bad as I hate to admit it, I'm also guilty from some time in the past. 95%+ of my hunting was done with high powered rifles, all with scopes due to the long ranges our shots typically were. Usually >150-180 yrds, and often >200. It was so very easy to jerk those rifles up to take a quick look, and I know it happened to every single hunt club member I knew over the 30+ years I hunted in those wide open, flat land pastures.

Oh well, we live and learn !!! 👍👍👍

Back